cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Calls "Social Insurance Scam"

cjdevola
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got over 15 + unknown calls today from the " social insurance scam" filling up my inbox. How does one stop this crap. This is crazy. I go to my account and it states no incoming calls. Just outgoing from my phone number. This does not make sence. How do I stop the madness.......

8 REPLIES 8

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Block, block and block some more!

They spoof numbers......it is easy to do

They spoof made up numbers and legitimate numbers

They don’t care if your number is on the Canadian DNC list

Putting your number on the DNC list is adding your number to a list of which CAN call you

The Canadian DNC list is a waste of time 

Changing your  number is not the answer.....are you going to get a new number that was previously under attack

Have and keep your contact list up to date

Check, but don’t answer, all calls that are not in your contacts list

Check on 800Notes or another check site

Those would be calls with a number only and no name.....but some not in your contacts list may show a name

Block, block and block some more!

And it is possible that a blocked number won’t ring....but your phone will accept their message. 

Those sneaky buggars!

cjdevola
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thankyou  for the feedback. By the end of the day got 46 calls. I found that my phone, pixel 2, has a option / setting to block unknown callers. Under phone settings (3dots) you can set your phone to block calls from unidentified callers. This also stops receiving calls or txt. Worked like a charm. Filthy Spammers.....

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@cjdevola wrote:

I go to my account and it states no incoming calls. Just outgoing from my phone number.

Calls that go to your voicemail will show in the usage history as outgoing calls from your number to your voicemail deposit phone number. (Usually ends in *4001)

If you set your "declined" conditional call forwarding to an invalid or US number, you can decline or block calls and they will then go to a fast busy instead of polluting your voicemail as well.

To set your "decline" conditional call forward not to go to voicemail: (any US number will set, but not actually forward)

*67*8080000000#

To reset it back:

##67#

davidsharp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been in the same boat. The easiest method is to change your number and get get a phone with call blocking or buy call blocking software from the Play Store or App store. Power Tools worked for me , True Caller did works but now spams you. 

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Staliger wrote:

@cjdevola wrote:

I got over 15 + unknown calls today from the " social insurance scam" filling up my inbox. How does one stop this crap. This is crazy. I go to my account and it states no incoming calls. Just outgoing from my phone number. This does not make sence. How do I stop the madness.......

@cjdevola Just in case, add your number to do-not-call list. It may help.

Has anyone ever actually found the do not call list to be at all effective. It has been around for so long and it still seems like I get a ton of calls.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@cjdevola wrote:

@cjdevola Just in case, add your number to do-not-call list. It may help.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@cjdevola it sounds like your number was spoofed. Unfortunately, you can only block , in your case the non existent number.I'm sure that older hands here may know some answers. What make and model phone are you using?

@cjdevola wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

When they call are you not able at that time to block the number?  I get them as well every couple of days

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.