cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Connect to Public Mobile (New Account)

roywall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just signed up for an account on Sept 6. I transfered from Koodo and chose to transfer my number. I did not choose a new number initially, although I believe I was suppose to do this. Anyway, it seems that my account was successfully setup, since I received a message from Public with a pin and was able to get the 6 digit verfication to setup my online profile (I got this using my Koodo Sim Card). My online profile says my account is active and lists my proper number. However, I cannot connect to the Public network. My Koodo account worked with my number for about 4-5 hours after I activated my Public account. Now Koodo cancelled my account, and I still can't connect to Public. If I call my number it says "not in service" . Originally it took a long time and said my credit card didn't go through, but it shows up as going through in my account and is listed on my credit card. It does detect the sim card and says "emergency calls only. When I search available networks Public Mobile does show up, but when i try to connect it says "Registering on Public Mobile" takes a while and then says "Can't connect to the network right now, try again later" I have sent a message to a moderator yesterday, but I understand this takes time. The main concern I have is I don't want to lose my phone number. I'm using a nexus 5, I checked the compatability which came back as fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Glad to hear that everything is working @roywall!

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

roywall

A moderator responded today. They said they were facing a temporary situation and that there was an issue with the port. They forwarded my issue to the technical team and shortly after that, I was able to connect. Thanks for all the help.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@roywall I think you've been given a bum steer here.  Porting has nothing to do with the phone's ability to connect to the network, and the fact that your Koodo SIM stopped working and Koodo account closed indicates your port was actually successful.  I do not believe this is a porting issue.

Your phone is definitely compatibile becuase Koodo and PM both operate on the same Telus network--so if it worked there, it will work here.  I do not believe this is a compatbility issue.  Also it is not a phone locking issue since phones locked to Koodo or Telus work fine with PM.  

I think the issue you are having is a provisioning (activation) glitch.  Contacting the moderators and getting yourself in the queue was the right move.  They should be able to see that your port was fine and will hopefully check your account for provisioning issues.  Please keep us posted.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

roywall

Ok thanks.

I sent them an updated message and included my pin.

@roywall wrote:

I have switched between the sim cards when the Public one wasn't working. The Koodo sim card worked for a few hours, but the Public one has not worked yet. Currently the Public sim card is in there.

Good leave the PM sim in, and keep pulling your battery / restarting every hour or so, contact mods with your pin number and all account info you have with as much detail and sorry wait for their response.

roywall

I have switched between the sim cards when the Public one wasn't working. The Koodo sim card worked for a few hours, but the Public one has not worked yet. Currently the Public sim card is in there.

@roywall wrote:

1. It says active.

2. Yes it shows my number,

I included my number, but I didn't include my pin. Is there a way i can edit my message to include the pin?

You want to send a new message with your pin and as much info as possible, to speed up the process. You canno't edit a private message once you have sent it. But they will ask you "whats your pin" and you will be sad.

roywall

1. It says active.

2. Yes it shows my number,

I included my number, but I didn't include my pin. Is there a way i can edit my message to include the pin?

@roywall wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

It's the same phone I was using on Koodo. I bought it right from Google. Public's phone check tool says it should work.

I don't mean to be rude but you did remove the Koodo sim card and insert your new Public Mobile sim card right? You did not mention inserting your PM sim.

Because you can still see all networks with the old sim, but will cause the error you explain.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@roywall

Login to your account.

1.  Is the account status "active" or "suspended"?

2.  Click on the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab.  Is your ported phone number showing on this screen?

If yes, your number is safe at PM.

Wait for moderator to help you.  I may take up to 48 hours for moderator to work on your issue.

Did you include your phone number and PIN# in your private message to moderator?

roywall

Thanks for the reply.

It's the same phone I was using on Koodo. I bought it right from Google. Public's phone check tool says it should work.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@roywall

Sometimes successful porting can take a long time but it might be a porting issue or a glitch, definitely sounds weird. I would keep trying to pull my battery / restarting my phone and wait for moderator team to respond to you.  Unfortunately there is not much you can do but wait for their assistance. No need to send multiple messages or it will just slow down the process unless you forgot to include your identity / pin number for verification then sending a second message (Click to send) will speed it up for you as the first response from them will be "who are you? " or "whats your pin?".  

You should not lose your number if at least your account lists it and has been transferred from Koodo.

You are using the same nexus5 as before with Koodo? You did not just buy it for PM? I ask to make sure It has not been listed as stolen / lost? I ask because Koodo / Public mobile is actually the same network and if you checked for compatibility does that mean you just purchased it 2nd hand?

Need Help? Let's chat.