cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S.A. Calling

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

'Ello,

I noticed that on some plans there is U.S.A. calling and in the past (returning customer) I saw in my account that there was minutes available to buy, such as 200 minutes for $10 or whatever it was (I know I'm close).

What I'm curious about is if there are any limitations to where calls can be placed and if a free calling app would be better suited for someone like me whom rarely, rarely calls to the U.S.A. (or any other country).

15 REPLIES 15

Obice

Right, all good to know.

Thanks for the information.

Those add-ons aren't data reliant either. Your regular plan will be your data allotment. You can get a plan with very little data if you choose....and still get the calling add-on discussed above.

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:

Long as your IN CANADA, you can make a call to US (or many other countries) from anywhere if you have a cell signal. No more reliance on wifi, if that's an issue for you.

Good luck whatever you choose.

True, WIFI is restrictive while always having data can be a bother as well. Personally with the web in my hand I am more inclined to browse the web than live my life.

With TextNow I'd be using data here and there if the internet/power goes out.

Long as your IN CANADA, you can make a call to US (or many other countries) from anywhere if you have a cell signal. No more reliance on wifi, if that's an issue for you.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:
Either of these would work for you. They don't expire either...they'll roll over until you use them up...even if it takes a couple of years. Good deal, eh ? (z10user4)
In Canada Long Distance Add-Ons6
Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.
$15 - 400 International Long Distance minutes
Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.
$8 - 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

I see. $15 ain't bad for something that never expires. With Fido you get an add on for $5/mo and then pay like 20 cents a minute.

I'll have to bring it up to my friend and see how they feel about it, I wouldn't mind paying though, beats TextNow.

Either of these would work for you. They don't expire either...they'll roll over until you use them up...even if it takes a couple of years. Good deal, eh ? (z10user4)
In Canada Long Distance Add-Ons6
Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.
$15 - 400 International Long Distance minutes
Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.
$8 - 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

If you call infrequently then you maybe better off to use an app like Skype, Fongo, or Textnow.

At the moment, for US calling, I am using TextNow or FaceTime audio.

I also use TextNow for calls to US....works good too.

Several years ago, I had a US Magicjack number that has long since expired...but the cell app still works. I can place calls and recieve them no matter where I am...long as I have wifi.

Interesting... I have tried many services. It seems one thing I simply cannot decide on is a phone service and a phone number. (cursed, I tell ya)

I have used Fongo (still do, I give my number to businesses), TekSavvy Home Phone, Vonage Home Phone, Fongo Home Phone (I suggest using their app as I got nothing but spam calls with absolutely no way to block them), TextNow, TextPlus, almost every mobile provider in Canada (never had Freedom/Wind mobile, Videotron or SpeakOut).

So I am really hoping that I can settle with Public Mobile once more. I suppose my indecisiveness comes from there being so many different offers and promos and not being sure what to try and/or stick to. I guess if you find something that works for you... just stick with it.

I have been using TextNow to talk to my US friend but I find the audio quality shotty though they don't want me wasting money on them so I probably won't be buying US minutes from Fongo, here or any place unless I gotta call the US for some reason other than my friend.

@Obice wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

If you call infrequently then you maybe better off to use an app like Skype, Fongo, or Textnow.

I also use TextNow for calls to US....works good too.

Several years ago, I had a US Magicjack number that has long since expired...but the cell app still works. I can place calls and recieve them no matter where I am...long as I have wifi.

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice wrote:

'Ello,

I noticed that on some plans there is U.S.A. calling and in the past (returning customer) I saw in my account that there was minutes available to buy, such as 200 minutes for $10 or whatever it was (I know I'm close).

What I'm curious about is if there are any limitations to where calls can be placed and if a free calling app would be better suited for someone like me whom rarely, rarely calls to the U.S.A. (or any other country).

@Obice U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881. 

As an alternative to PM add-ons you can use an app like Google Hangouts Dialer and call anywhere in NA for free and it will also display your mobile number if registered.

"712-775" Does this include 732?

@Obice  712 is the area code, so 712-732-xxxx would be ok.

Obice

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice wrote:

'Ello,

@Obice U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881. 

As an alternative to PM add-ons you can use an app like Google Hangouts Dialer and call anywhere in NA for free and it will also display your mobile number if registered.

"712-775" Does this include 732?

Obice

@Triguy wrote:

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

'Ello,

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would think usage profile should inform what plan to get.  The heavy users that call the US a lot should get a plan that includes US calling.  The add-on minutes is ideally suited to the casual user.  Calling apps are a great alternative.  I use Google voice to call the US.  Calls are always free.  I registered for a US number long ago.  I can also receive calls to my American number.  

Obice

To augment to what I was saying, perhaps it would be a good idea to make a cheap plan that includes Unlimited Can-Mins, plus Unlimited US-Mins (or like 250-500) with 100-250Mb of data - the price would be like $30-40.

Need Help? Let's chat.