cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelers to Europ beware

TheMist3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just returned from my trip to Europe. Being there I've used Vodafone sim card for local service.

Vodafone pushed on my phone their version of apn-config.xml, so I do not need to edit APN settings manualy to have data service. On my return to Canada I do not have Data Service because of missing APN settings for PM.

My phone is mi A2 with Android One ver 8.1.

Android 8.1 is letting providers to disable users from making changes to APN settings.

PM has this feature activated but they never push the apn-config.xml file !

You can find many technical workarounds on this forum for this issue, but it is not average user do.

To awoid this situation Public Mobile should let users change APN settins or push apn-config.xml on your phone as all other providers do.

19 REPLIES 19

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's interesting that Telus has 4 different set of APN settings for each MVNO (Koodo, PC, PM). The correct naming is Mobile Interne for PMt:

<apn carrier="Mobile Internet"
      mcc="302"
      mnc="220"
      apn="sp.mb.com"
      type="default,mms,supl"
      mmsc="http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc"
      mmsproxy="74.49.0.18"
      mmsport="80"
      mvno_match_data="5043"
      mvno_type="gid"
  />
  <apn carrier="Mobile Internet"
       mcc="302"
       mnc="220"
       apn="sp.mb.com"
       type="default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri"
       mmsc="http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc"
       mmsproxy="74.49.0.18"
       mmsport="80"
       mvno_type="gid"
       mvno_match_data="4D4F"
  />

killer23d

I looked at the source apns-config.xml on both 8.1.0r29 and the current 9.0 branch. I do not see anything out of the ordinary between the codes on Telus/Koodo/PC/PM that is a ROM issue. I suspect this behavior is caused by the SIM setting, something called SIM Toolkit, some carrier enabled it to offer additional functions but Telus does not use this.

Plus, if the issue is resolved on Android 9 or swapping SIM cards to another carrier, I can think of some possibilities:

1) Google designed this feature for the American carrier's requests in 8.1, but accidentally made it "global" on 8.1.

2) Telus SIM may have an unused setting that triggers the lock unintentionally.

Realistically, this problem is not something PM mod can address. It needs to be escalated to  Telus engineer so that they can test it out with various Android versions and file a bug report either to Google or change a setting on their network; or they can go to Rogers and asks them for help lol.

That's the thing, many times its phone issue.  if apn are correct.  

TheMist3

Finally resolved the issue. Factory Reset did the trick. Phone picked up correct APN settings automatically even though the apns-conf.xml file remained the same(I've pulled it from the phone before and after factory reset)

Big surprise is that APN edit menu is now available, Android version is still 8.1

The APN name in use is not "Public mobile" but "Mobile Internet".

@killer23d wrote:

I looked up this issue, and like a few posters has mentioned, Telus enabled this APN lock but it doesn't take effect until Android 8.1. Rogers does not have this enabled yet. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@TheMist3 wrote:

To awoid this situation Public Mobile should let users change APN settins or push apn-config.xml on your phone as all other providers do.

This is has nothing to do with Public Mobile.  Even if Public Mobile were to send a copy of the Android apnconf file, you wouldn't be able to do anytihng with it unless you rooted the phone.  Sure, providers to sometimes send an SMS message with an attached script to update the APN settings, but if the ability to edit or add APN is blocked out by the phone manufactuer, this accomplishes nothing.

Sorry, but there is zero Public Mobile can do about this.

It still depends on the software on the phone.  Being with Telus or ever having a Telus sim card in the phone would not make any difference. It just happens to be some of these phone were sold for use with a specific carrier.

This is 100% a software issue.  As to whether the carriers influence this can be debated.  For carrier-based phones, the carriers do supposedly test and approve the updates, but if they declined approval on any updates, customers also complain about that.

The lack of the ability to edit or add APNs in Andrioid 8.1  can also be there for factory unlocked phones and foe devices that have no ties to any carrier.

Public Mobile doesn't sell phones.  And at the end of the day, there isn't a thing Public Mobile can do for a customer with a phone that has badly programmed software.

The choices in this type of situation remain:  wait for a software update that hopefully re-enables the feature, root your phone and change the apnconfxml file yourself (or use custom rom), switch to a different carrier, or use a different phone.

TheMist3

I've tryed Rogers SIM card. APN settings apeared but unfortunatelly I wasnt able to save new APN. Strange error message: "Provider does not allow save APNs type *."

killer23d

I looked up this issue, and like a few posters has mentioned, Telus enabled this APN lock but it doesn't take effect until Android 8.1. Rogers does not have this enabled yet. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@TheMist3 wrote:

This is has nothing to do with Public Mobile.  Even if Public Mobile were to send a copy of the Android apnconf file, you wouldn't be able to do anytihng with it unless you rooted the phone.  Sure, providers to sometimes send an SMS message with an attached script to update the APN settings, but if the ability to edit or add APN is blocked out by the phone manufactuer, this accomplishes nothing.

@TheMist3 wrote:

@TheMist3 wrote:
The APN edit blocking functionality is introduced with Android 8.1 version. It is Carrier depended,

Thanks for the info, I guess I might not upgrade when it gets available then...

TheMist3
The APN edit blocking functionality is introduced with Android 8.1 version. It is Carrier depended, I've heard Rogers is allowing APN edit. Unfortunately Public Mobile/ Telus are blocking it. We will see posts like this as more people will get 8.1 update. Options that will 100% work are phone Root. Factory reset to older Android version where the restriction is not present yet. In both cases all my data on phone will be lost. Will try edit APN with Rogers SIM in the evening, hope it will hep.

I have just looked on my Moto G5, and I couldn't edit the APN that was there. However I was able to add a new one, including the "dun" setting. I was also able to save it without any problem, and then the original APN jsut disappeared.

I also helped a friend activating with PM and I had no problem at all with the APN configuration. So I'm assuming it is not Telus blocking the APN modification, but some kind of Vodafone settings?

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TheMist3 wrote:

Just returned from my trip to Europe. Being there I've used Vodafone sim card for local service.

Vodafone pushed on my phone their version of apn-config.xml, so I do not need to edit APN settings manualy to have data service. On my return to Canada I do not have Data Service because of missing APN settings for PM.

Android 8.1 is letting providers to disable users from making changes to APN settings.

You can find many technical workarounds on this forum for this issue, but it is not average user do.

You could say, travellers anywhere, or even anyone who switches sim cards, beware!! 😄

Hope you got home safely!!

TheMist3

This is correct, reset did not help

@will13am wrote:

@popping wrote:

@TheMist3

Do a network reset may get the proper APN settings.

I need to ask my son what SIM he used when he was in Amsterdam and London last month.  He did not have any problem with his PM data after he came back.  He use an iPhone.

If the APN configuration file has been replaced, there is no reset that restores the original version. 

@popping wrote:

@TheMist3

I need to ask my son what SIM he used when he was in Amsterdam and London last month.  He did not have any problem with his PM data after he came back.  He use an iPhone.

If the APN configuration file has been replaced, there is no reset that restores the original version. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

To me the problem is with Google allowing the carriers to mess with the apn configuration file.  Generally 99.999% of all carriers can be found in the stock APN file.  For the very obscure carriers, it is easy enough to let the user edit/add their own APN.  This method of "simplification" by allowing carriers to push their own version of a butchered APN configuration file causes more harm than good.  It is times like this where Apple's walled garden is invaluable.  No carrier is allowed to mess with the software. 

TheMist3

I did more research and found out that apn-config.xml file is not pushed by PM, but it is a part

of android system and provided by Google. There is a process for carriers to add their parameters, described here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/update

I think that until Public Mobile will have their APN settings there they should remove restriction on APN edit feature.

killer23d

Edit 1: I searched a little more and found that issue could be relating to this, so PM/Telus could have something to do with it but I have no issues with my in-law's Nokia 6 with 8.1 (with PM as well).

Edit 2: Looking up even more this is definitely a Telus setting, so the workaround is to use another SIM, change the APN to what you need and swap the SIM back.

The APNS-CONF.XML is residing in the System Partition and not changable unless you have root access. The provider cannot touch this files unless a system update is pushed. Espeically you are using a Android One device, it has a generic APNS-CONF.XML.

APNS-CONF.XML contains a long list of carriers and their APNs and it is applied to the phone based on the MCC and MNC on the SIM.

When you use a Vodafone UK, it will auto change the APN to its APN. When you use a PM SIM, it will change to the Telus APN.

It is very likely that the SIM swap didn't trigger the APN change, but all you need to do is to change it back or choose "Reset to Default" in the APN setting. I am using Moto G3 with Linerage 14.1 and I can add/edit the APN without issue.

@TheMist3 wrote:

To awoid this situation Public Mobile should let users change APN settins or push apn-config.xml on your phone as all other providers do

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TheMist3

I need to ask my son what SIM he used when he was in Amsterdam and London last month.  He did not have any problem with his PM data after he came back.  He uses an iPhone.

Update: My son uses "Orange holiday" SIM card in Europe last month.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Thank you for giving us a heads up

Need Help? Let's chat.