cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transit Rider jamming cellphone signals

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure if I am for/against this guy as I can argue both sides!

"http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_a7n9ig

8 REPLIES 8

Same issue with GO trains in Toronto area. They often claim "quiet policy in effect". They don't have any legal right to say be quiet yet people accept it.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
It's a public place... So people have the right to talk. It shouldn't be a problem anymore since I rarely see people taking on their phones.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi,

There's a time and place for everything. I'm not going to comment on the cell-jammer story. I will, however, tell a story - a true one - that speaks to this post's first sentence.

I used to live in Toronto. Before moving there, I learned what the premiums would be on my car, and therefore decided to sell it. I took Toronto transit in its place.

One day, I was running late for an appointment, and realized that I wouldn't have enough time to eat lunch at home, and then take the bus. As a result, I made two quick sandwiches, wrapped them in plastic, and left home to board the bus.

It arrived on time, and I took a seat in front of two men in their 20s.

As I was about halfway through my first sandwich, the men started to discuss the cadaver that they had cut open, and what the innards looked like. I almost lost my lunch!

I'm all for live and let live, but, in this case, I politely asked them - they were medical students - if they could change the subject. They quietly apologized, and started discussing non-medical matters.

As I said, there's a time and place for everything.

Not to mention such jammers will also prevent others from sending/receiving texts and accessing the web/news discretely on their devices, without inconveniencing those around.

dhilscher
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I understand some people can be super annoying with their phones but most of us are not and you would be stopping us from sending and receiving emergency calls.

So ya they may have good intentions with the jammer forcing people to be unplugged for a short period of their life but still not right to do it.

@DK Definitely against; pleased there will be significant fines. Get earplugs if noise/talking is annoying.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mayor / Maire

Pfft...carrying a portable cellphone jammer for years with you just because you find it inconvenient when those around you talk on the phone? Cray-cray!

Need Help? Let's chat.