cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering/porting a number

Jhs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just hooked my daughter up with Public.  This is the erd phone I have transfered to Public.  I never had a problem porting our numbers until this one.  When I try to do it I keep getting a generic error message.  Help!?

36 REPLIES 36

@Tsnoop wrote:

Want to transfer my koodo phone number

If your Koodo phone number is attached to a postpaid account, you should be able to do this yourself in the self-serve system.

If your phone number is from Koodo prepaid, or if the self-serve system is telling that you cannot perform this task there, you'll need to send a private message to Moderator_Team to accomplish this.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Tsnoop

Want to transfer my koodo phone number

@saima_latif I have same issue. phone works and shows my number i.e. 613xxxxxxxincoming calls still going to old SIM.

My SIM number is ========

alternate number is ========= (also on public)
Outgoing calls and data works.

I tried to enter SIM number for transfer in self service and it shows that it's invalid.

Please check what is wrong?

Thanks.

I wouldn't be posting your phone number for everyone to see.

Incoming services not wokring after requesting a port is normal until the phone transfer has completed.  If you want to receive your calls for now, you'll have to keep using the service from your old carrier.

If your transfer is from another wireless carrier and it's been more than a few hours, contact Moderator_Team to submit another request.  Ahead of time, make sure you have the account number for your old carrier.

darkstar107
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@saima_latif You should direct message that information to @CS_Agent rather than posting it publicly.  The mod team would be the only ones that would be able to resolve your issue if the port is stuck.

saima_latif

I have same issue. phone works and shows my number i.e. 6136178558 but incoming calls still going to old SIM.

My SIM number is ========

alternate number is ========= (also on public)
Outgoing calls and data works.

I tried to enter SIM number for transfer in self service and it shows that it's invalid.

Please check what is wrong?

Thanks.

@stonechucker wrote:

@giggles, call Chatr ahead of time and request your account number to make it an easier port.  Chatr doesn't list the actual account number client facing 😞

As for PC Mobile - are they prepaid or postpaid?  I believe the prepaid side of things is on the 'Telus' side of that service, and you may have issues requiring direct moderator support.

It'a actually the other way around. Postpaid PC Mobile clientsm(soon to be Koodo)  are Telus customers.  To my knowledge, these people are full-fledged direct customers already, with Telus only paying a licensing fee to capitalize on the Loblaws brand. That being the case, PC Mobile customers (prepaid or postpaid) should be able to initiate the port to Public Mobile themselves.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@giggles wrote:

So if I purchased a SIM card at Walmart, there wouldn't be a problem doing it myself?  Like there's no kiosk that you stand at for hours at a time?

Well...you might have to wait for someone to get the SIM from behind the desk.

Some have reported that Walmart makes you get activated in-store which is incorrect by Public Mobile policy.

There are also promotions all the time and I think a London Drugs one is still active but I'm not sure. Maybe you're not out west somewhere though.

giggles

So if I purchased a SIM card at Walmart, there wouldn't be a problem doing it myself?  Like there's no kiosk that you stand at for hours at a time?

@giggles, call Chatr ahead of time and request your account number to make it an easier port.  Chatr doesn't list the actual account number client facing 😞

As for PC Mobile - are they prepaid or postpaid?  I believe the prepaid side of things is on the 'Telus' side of that service, and you may have issues requiring direct moderator support.

Also - ensure your phones are unlocked, or locked to a Telus owned service.  One of the PC Mobile (post/repaid) is locked to Bell - I'm not sure which.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@giggles wrote:

Hello.  Our family currently has 1 phone with Chatr and 2 with PC Mobile.

Can these numbers be easily ported over?  Can it be done if I were to pick up a SIM card at Walmart?

Yes, you can port out the Chatr and PC mobile numbers to PM.  Make sure that your Chatr and PC Mobile must be active for number porting.

You should get a new number from PM to test the PM service for a day.  Port your number to PM after you are happy with it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@giggles wrote:

Can these numbers be easily ported over?  Can it be done if I were to pick up a SIM card at Walmart?

Yes. Any Canadian cell or land provider.

giggles

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @Mike,

Please feel free to reply to our private message. You can also send us a new message. We'll be happy to clarify. 

Thank you,

Syed 

mktm64

Hi, I've got the same problem transfering a number. I've sent a private message and got a response from a Cedric but the information I got from him was not clear. I asked him to clarify the information needed 2 days ago, but still no response.

I referred a family member on Thursday July 5th and still today I can only make out going calls, but no in coming calls.

Please help me resolve this issue. I need my in coming calls

Mike

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

mktm64

I have the same problem... I can make out going calls but in coming calls are go to my old phone.

someone please help!

srlawren

@Cgfitzhe1982 it sounds like this has already been resolved, FYI.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cgfitzhe1982

Which carrier are you porting the # from? 

Is the account name on public the same account number on the company you are porting from?

some carriers will deny the port if the account name doesn’t match (I used to work for Rogers/Fido once upon a time) 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

everything has been resolved @srlawren, thank you for chiming in 🙂

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren

@Jhs that means the port failed. You need to follow @Mary_M's directions to resolve it .

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jhs

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Jhs,

thank you for your patience!

I've looked into the port request and it actually failed due to the wrong details being provided. Don't worry, I'll help you get it completed but I will need some details. Can you please check your private messages for my reply ? 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Marchibald
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Has your problem resolved itself? I believe the mods will get back to you fairly quickly during typical business hours. 

Jhs

I have turned the phone off many times - still no one can call me.  Text and out going calls working fine.  I am new to public.  Sent Mods a message last night how long does it normally take for them to respond?

Marchibald

That's not 100% true. Mine was the same texts came 1st but calls were not going through. Took about a  hour for all features, but I agree text is defibarely a sign the port was successful 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jhs, if you are able to receive texts to the ported number, that means that the port has gone through.  Have you tried restarting the phone?  If this doesn't clear up on its own, within a few hours, I suggest you send a private message to the moderator team to get them to look into it for you.  The moderators will be back on-line at 9AM (EST).

Click here to send the moderators team a private message.
Information regarding the moderators team can be found by following this link.

Marchibald

How long ago did you do it? It took about an hour or so for all features to kick in. They say 3, but it was less than that for me.

Jhs

I was able to port number.  I am able to send and receive texts, make an out going call but when someone tries to call me a message tells them i amnot available?

Marchibald

I was successful. It just took several attempts as it wasn't accepting my account #. It finally worked just using my name and s/n # 

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Marchibald So did you try to port another number within 30days? If yes, that’s why you cannot port another number. As far as I know you just can change a phone number for once a month only.

Need Help? Let's chat.