cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer a number from a VoIP provider

Banane12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been using Vbuzzer as my home VoIP provider for last 10 years or more and recently tried PM with a Montreal number. I liked it and decided to transfer my VoIP Ottawa number from Vbuzzer.

I successfully completed the process. My number changed and I lost my Montreal number from PM, which was the scenario anyway... When I call out, caller ID shows my newly transferred Ottawa number, so it is like the service is working, but when it comes to receiving a call or an SMS, it doesn't work.

When calling the Ottawa number, it goes to the voicemail of Vbuzzer, meaning the transfer is not complete yet, so, I have to be patient. That is OK but what is not OK is that I am here without a wireless phone number. People can't reach me using both Ottawa and Montreal numbers from my cell phone, meaning home phone from Vbuzzer still works.

Why am I writing this? I wish I still had the Montreal number working during this process. Since it is a VoIP number I am trying to transfer, it might take days or weeks. Will I still pay the service when no one can call or text me? I hardly use data anyway...

4 REPLIES 4

Banane12

The problem is solved. As of this morning, Tuesday, I started the transfer on the weekend, my 10+ yeat old VoIP number is transferred to PM. I remember some providers charge a $25 transfer fee. With PM, this was free. I was out of a number for just 3 days. I wish I had started the process on Monday, instead of Saturday. So, that is my advice. Patient and start on the beginning of weekdays.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Banane12 wrote:

I've been using Vbuzzer as my home VoIP provider for last 10 years or more and recently tried PM with a Montreal number. I liked it and decided to transfer my VoIP Ottawa number from Vbuzzer.

I successfully completed the process. My number changed and I lost my Montreal number from PM, which was the scenario anyway... When I call out, caller ID shows my newly transferred Ottawa number, so it is like the service is working, but when it comes to receiving a call or an SMS, it doesn't work.

When calling the Ottawa number, it goes to the voicemail of Vbuzzer, meaning the transfer is not complete yet, so, I have to be patient. That is OK but what is not OK is that I am here without a wireless phone number. People can't reach me using both Ottawa and Montreal numbers from my cell phone, meaning home phone from Vbuzzer still works.

Why am I writing this? I wish I still had the Montreal number working during this process. Since it is a VoIP number I am trying to transfer, it might take days or weeks. Will I still pay the service when no one can call or text me? I hardly use data anyway...

@Banane12  Unfortunately that is how porting works. Once you request the port PM must setup that number within their network(that is when you lose your Montreal number), and wait for the other provider to release the number. Most mobile providets release the numbers within a couple of hours but VOIP providers like in your case can take up to 5 days so you need to wait. With all the affordable third party options you should always have a backup option. At this point you need to be patient and wait it out.

Banane12

I have TextMe number, better than Fango, I think but forwarding the number is a good solution for those who have a good data plan. Mine is 500MB. If I enable data all the time, that will quickly reach my plan's limit and I will have no line for incoming, no text, and no data. The best solution is to get a temporary number from PM until the transfer is done but I am not sure if they will be doing that.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Voip numbers take much longer to complete, can't remember the approximate time. 

In your situation and if you have data I would install fongo Voip app on your phone and forward your land-line calls to your new fongo number. That way you will receive calls while the port completes. 

Need Help? Let's chat.