cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling instead of stopping data after limit - feasible?

Ben
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How feasible would this be: After using up your data limit, your data should just be significantly throttled instead of cut off completely. So you should still be able to send and receive emails, load web pages, etc. Even on the 150mb data plan you should get an unlimited amount of throttled data after you use up your 150mb. I hate the fact that you could miss important emails if you use up your data cap. Wind already does something similar on their unlimited data plans where you get 5gb at full speed and after you use that up it's throttled, it's too slow to watch videos or download big aps or anything like that but at least it still lets you receive emails and (slowly) load webpages.

If this is not feasible, then how about introducing a new addon for an unlimited amount of throttled data, for those of us who don't need high data speeds but want to make sure we never miss an email. Even if it's severely throttled (eg dial-up speeds from the 1990s) it should still be sufficient for emailing.

5 REPLIES 5

To anyone interested, here's the link to @Ben's fantastic idea on the Public Lab: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Throttle-instead-of-cut-off-data-after-limi...

Please show your support!

Ben
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Whoops I didn't even know about the existence of the Public Lab. I just posted the idea there.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes.  Please post it in the Public Lab section as a new idea.  I like what you are suggesting 

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello @Ben,

I definitely like the idea of unlimited data - even if it becomes throttled after the plan's cap. I don't think I've seen this idea presented yet in the Public Lab, if not, please post it there to make it is 'officially' submitted as an idea for consideration by PM.

In terms of feasability, I wonder how much it would cost PM to implement a system like this. Also, how would it affect the load on the network - even though it slows down data speeds, it could still impact overall reliability of the data network.

Mayor / Maire

Good idea! If you put it up on the Public Lab, I'd totally bravo it.

Need Help? Let's chat.