cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The secret inside your cellphone (CBC Marketplace)

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

As new science fuels the debate about cellphone safety, we take a closer look at a little known message inside your cellphone's settings and manual telling you to keep the device 5 to 15 mm away from your body. We ask why this message exists, why it's so hidden, and whether Health Canada is doing enough to protect us.

12 REPLIES 12

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon wrote:

@MEU_21

That's not correct. Microwave transmitters operate at much higher frequencies than LTE transmitters, and they're not powered down when installation crews do work on cell sites. The reason they are pointed "away" from residential areas is for performance. They require line of sight to their intended destination. A building would obstruct the signal and break the communications link.

I didn't say it was microwave. We were explicitly told that these transmitters had to be powered down before going in front of them. The orientation is only partially performance based.

@MEU_21

That's not correct. Microwave transmitters operate at much higher frequencies than LTE transmitters, and they're not powered down when installation crews do work on cell sites. The reason they are pointed "away" from residential areas is for performance. They require line of sight to their intended destination. A building would obstruct the signal and break the communications link.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There is a reason why relay towers and tower amplifiers must face away from living areas (e.g. apartments). Also, technicians servicing these devices have to shut-off everything before walking in front of these amplifiers because it would be the equivalent of walking into your microwave oven.

Your phone, both receives and sends these very same waves, but at a lower strength. It is very likely that prolonged exposure of cellphones to skin will cause damage to cells.

@shadowbanker the Javascript???

Cat LOL

@shadowbanker wrote:

Sun is not really an issue in this country, everyone is on D3 supplement.

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You get far more radiation from the sun while walking outside than from your cell phone

Want to go low tech then ditch your microwave or older tv sets first

Sun is not really an issue in this country, everyone is on D3 supplement.

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A few years Israeli researchers did a study about the level of SAR of different cell phones. What they found is whenever you were in a low signal area the antenna amplified the amount of radiation as the phone searches for a signal. When you're in a strong signal area the radiation was much lower. The recommended solution was keep the phone away from you if you're in a low signal area or use a bluetooth piece, and as the CBC segment shows, keep it a few mm away from your ear when you're in a strong signal area. The information on CBC is not new, it's been known for many years. And yes it is true that microwaves and even those old 2.4G cordless phones, especially the really old ones, produced more radiation than today's smartphones. Even new generation DECT phones emit quite a bit of radiation. At least the cell phone you can easily turn it off with airport mode. Can't do that with a DECT phone unless you unplug the base station.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001c wrote:

I shake my head at these stories

You get far more radiation from the sun while walking outside than from your cell phone

@kav2001c,

I agree. 

I shake my head at these stories

OMG, so that's what happened to me! Robot LOL

robopa070854ms800-1.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@sheytoon, this is why I view it as a concern and not a risk.  

@will13am

Yes, but tissue heating is still a concern with non-ionizing radiation, though it's less of a concern at low power.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Fake news, sensationalism?  Cell phones emit non ionizing radiation.  This is very different from ionizing radiation.  I would see this as a potential concern, not a confirmed risk.  

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Need Help? Let's chat.