cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of PM and its cheap rates...

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm wondering about how PM will stay cheap when it is starting to be available in stores and one of the slogans on the website (is or was) that PM has no stores which helps "keep costs down".

I have noticed for awhile now that the plans are pretty cheap due to data being 3G and plans including 4G are borderline second-tier carrier pricing (if not same pricing).

With the upcoming 5G technology I presume that first and second tier providers will either sell plans with 4G data at cheaper costs or find some kind of median that suits their profit margins for whatever people are 'willing' to pay. Does this mean PM will have cheaper 4G plans?

I also noticed that texts for myself sent or received don't deliver on queue like they do with my Fido account, probably because Fido is second tier. A friend told me that her texts actually fail to send quite a bit, and it's difficult explaining technology (namely "Quality of Service") to someone whom is not only tech illiterate but also refuses to learn even the basics (not really complaining, just... if you're going to own something, it makes sense to learn how to use it).

These are just some questions and speculations I have for the present and future... Don't mind me. Smiley LOL

15 REPLIES 15

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Prakashb wrote:

first PM should give good service , people are not able to use phone after being charged monthly payment

I know the moderators give great service once you get in contact with them. I find the biggest issue is unrealistic expectations of service because there was absolutely no research done on the part of the person with the problem, outside of looking at the price of the plans, prior to signing up. What can you do? They were lazy before, they're probably still lazy now. 

Yeah, I only experience good sevice too with Public, that a major difference compared to all the other cell companies I've deal with in the past giving me attitude and condesending comments when I calling them for help.  Dealing with Public Mobile customer service moderators is worth the wait, so I remind others to be patient too, I was fustrated before too - but the moderators fixed everything for me each time.  Here the link to my problem before:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Activated-Sim-over-3-hours-ago-still-...

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Prakashb wrote:

first PM should give good service , people are not able to use phone after being charged monthly payment

I know the moderators give great service once you get in contact with them. I find the biggest issue is unrealistic expectations of service because there was absolutely no research done on the part of the person with the problem, outside of looking at the price of the plans, prior to signing up. What can you do? They were lazy before, they're probably still lazy now. 

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Never heard of this! But if you experienced lack of service, you should have sought help at this forum or from the moderators.

Prakashb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength”  —  Corrie Ten Boom

The PM management is geared and tasked to survive in a highly competitive market. If they had the ingenuity to create it out of nowhere they will be able to take care of the future challenges. I’ve little doubt that their survival lies in continuing to offer an edge over its competitors — be it 4G or the inevitable 5G.

And indeed nothing lasts forever: nor will the current plans. Smiley Wink

Karnbot13

As @will13am has stated in the past, stay loyal to your wallet. I'm constantly looking for a better wireless deal that meets all my requirements. I have not yet found a better deal, so I am still here. That's the way it goes in our consumer society. If the prices raise to the point that I no longer save any money compared to others, I will go to the provider with the best service. Easy peasy. We don't have true competition in this country when it comes to wireless, and I have heard all the excuses over the years from the large providers. None of them carry much weight, in my opinion.

LoreckAvery

I was wondering this too! 

I’m hopeful it’s not going to drive prices higher as that is the main reason I switched (good value). 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think the future of Public and their cheap rates will be similar to any other market, if Public can get and hold onto enough subcribers long term, then they will be able to continue giving cheaper rates than all the other companies as they've already been doing all along - no matter if they spend more on kiosks and advertising etc.

Just like any companies that controls a large percent of the market, those companies have more flexiblilty to dictate market prices, without being effected by companies with insignificant market share offering lower/higher prices.

For example, when Blackberry controlled a large percent of the mobile device market they could charge whatever they wanted and still be successful, but when Apple took over the larger part of that market - even when Blackberry lowered they're prices they couldn't regain the market share they had already lost.

So, I think the best thing is to support and be loyal to the companies that are sincerly offering the best value for our money consistanly, and encourage everyone we know to do the same - like voting with our dollars.

Like with Public Mobile, it's clear they are doing things differently  to save money and also passing those savings onto their customers - anyone can see that just by comparing their prices to all the other companies. While other companies will only lower prices in reaction to companies like Public lowering their prices first, which is proof that they are not sincere in offering best value for our dollars, since they would keep their prices high if not for companies like Public threatening their market share.

So the future of Public Mobile and its cheap rates are ultimatly depenant on us the subscribers and the public, if we encourage and support enough people to do what we're doing and all switch to Public Mobile and keep getting everyone we know to do the same - Public Mobile can continue to be successful and continue to offer the best value for our dollars in canada. But if not enough people subcribe to Public, it will hinder the ability of Public Mobile to continue to do business in canada they way they've been doing so far.

So for the sake of supporting and helping companies like Public Mobile to continue to be successful and to continue to offer the best value for our money - we all have to tell eveyone we know to switch to Public and tell them to tell everyone they know to do the same too! Let's not allow the other companies to ruin what Public Mobile is doing by letting people we know subscribe to other companies.

Barryere

@will13am  I agree, as time goes on, the rich do what they can to pass on fees to the customers rather than paying for it themselves.

For example, Bell's decision to put a device in each customer's home so the customer uses their own power rather than Bell's... Effectively saving Bell money.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Due to the state of the cellar market in Canada where there's no competition, cost does not directly drive price.  If it truly did, our service fees would have been even lower as Public Mobile saved tons of money on stores and advertising. Going forward I sense big price increases are coming.  This is to pay for the spectrum purchases (government tax on cellular service) and 5G build out.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It will take a few more years for 5G networks to setup so I think the current 3G & 4G plans will continue unless PM decides otherwise.  They have lower operating costs with no physical stores and customer call centers so I hope they can continue to pass on the savings to consumers as a discount provider.

Barryere

@NDesai wrote:

@Barryere For the texting issue for your friend, it seems like an issue with her phone. Tell her to try another texting app or try using different phone. Might be an issue with iMessage if she is using iPhone. Texts should not fail to send. Service wise, we pretty much get the same coverage and basic services work the same as Telus/Koodo. 

I see. She has an HTC M9 running, I think android 5 or 6, not likely but maybe 7, and I mentioned she could update it but she showed no interest in that despite the fact that it may help. She was using an iPhone 4s prior to the M9 and the 4s died quickly (even with a battery replacement) and was also having trouble sending/receiving texts, with or without iMessage on. She has no other phones other than a featurephone but for her use of cell phones she wants a smartphone for video chatting.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I am with you,epecially after the elimination of some of the decent plans, just have to wait and see I wonder were the easter specials are?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Barryere I would not consider the PM kiosk as a typical store. All they are doing is making it easier for customers to activate and/or creating awareness of their brand. They still don't have any customer support over the phone and the kisosk rep will not help with any account/service related issues either. 

As for the new tech advancement in the cellular world, we have no clue on what will happen. If 3G is good enough to use, why would they stop selling? If 4G is more than good enough, why would they spend more money to upgrade 5G tech and implement solutions to 3rd tier brand? We will not know until it comes around and becomes a norm. 

For the texting issue for your friend, it seems like an issue with her phone. Tell her to try another texting app or try using different phone. Might be an issue with iMessage if she is using iPhone. Texts should not fail to send. Service wise, we pretty much get the same coverage and basic services work the same as Telus/Koodo. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Barryere wrote:

I'm wondering about how PM will stay cheap when it is starting to be available in stores and one of the slogans on the website (is or was) that PM has no stores which helps "keep costs down".

I have noticed for awhile now that the plans are pretty cheap due to data being 3G and plans including 4G are borderline second-tier carrier pricing (if not same pricing).

With the upcoming 5G technology I presume that first and second tier providers will either sell plans with 4G data at cheaper costs or find some kind of median that suits their profit margins for whatever people are 'willing' to pay. Does this mean PM will have cheaper 4G plans?

I also noticed that texts for myself sent or received don't deliver on queue like they do with my Fido account, probably because Fido is second tier. A friend told me that her texts actually fail to send quite a bit, and it's difficult explaining technology (namely "Quality of Service") to someone whom is not only tech illiterate but also refuses to learn even the basics (not really complaining, just... if you're going to own something, it makes sense to learn how to use it).

These are just some questions and speculations I have for the present and future... Don't mind me. Smiley LOL

@Barryere  If the kiosks do what they want them to, it would bring in more income than what it costs to have them. In theory bringing costs down.

"If" was the key word

Need Help? Let's chat.