cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The disappearing Gb (95% was gone in minutes)

anniemh2220
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm very upset right now.

I used the data from my data plan like I usually do and even though it's   extremely expensive, I end up purchasing more data @  $30+ tax for 1 GB.

I don't usually have any issues but at approximately 5:10am I spent $32.99 for a voucher, and made a payment

I then purchased a GB. I had NOT even browsed online, or played a game.. NOTHING.

I then received the text saying I used 95% of my data. 

I really need to speak to a moderator. I'm so upset because I don't have very much money and I don't have WiFi or cable.

I was waiting for a tax benefit to get deposited, as soon as it did I bought the voucher..I don't want to seem pathetic but I actually teared up when I double checked the data usage. I watch Netflix on my phone, and play games. 

I don't know what happened, it's only a gb I know, but now I only have under 200 mb left, and less than $30 in my bank account until the 30th.

I don't know what to do and I don't know why my data was used up.

I hope you all don't think I'm pathetic. Cat Sad

15 REPLIES 15

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@anniemh2220 wrote:

My auto update settings are disabled.

I have always had that setting disabled.

I do take responsibility for my phone.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to anything to do with my android phone.

I didn't open my browser, I didn't open Netflix. 

I buy add ons frequently. This has never happened before.

Usage history says : Data event and then 1864 mb.. I only had 1024 mb.

So something is not right. I know when my phone is updating. I have THAT set to notify me. That's separate from "enable auto updates"

That's all I can say about this. I made a $30 payment with a payment voucher, and before I could even browse the internet, play a game, or download  a video on Netflix I got the "you have used 95% of your data" text.

I'm talking literally between 5-10 minutes!

I know that a GB isn't a huge amount, so when I only have that much data I usually only play one of my games and I don't stream videos on Netflix, I download them so I can watch them later

I don't know how much clearer I can get.

I would like to speak to a moderator.

Um...downloading is just about the same as streaming.

Did you even have data on in those 5 - 10 minutes? Did your plan data have anything left? Was it that you used the phone and plan data to buy and apply the voucher and add-on? So that then data was still on?

I think he means that he downloads the movies when he is on wifi, so that he doesn't use his data up....

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@anniemh2220 what was the outcome?

srlawren

@anniemh2220 Android should be able to tell you what apps or services have been using your data recently.  The presentation will vary a little depending on which "flavour" of Android the manufactuter uses, but here's how to get the info:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data-add-on-not-working/m-p/173522/high... Essentially you go to settings, Data Usage, Celular Data Usage and it will break down by app, sorted by most-to-least data used.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Data events in the usage history are reported twice a day.  It is an accumulation of the total data used since the last reporting.

So, as you've purchased a 1 GB data package, it was used fully, with the 800 that was still available before you purchased the add-on.

The counter on the service is accurate.  Your device is somehow leaking data, if you don't know what you're using on it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anniemh2220 wrote:

So something is not right. I know when my phone is updating. I have THAT set to notify me. That's separate from "enable auto updates"

That's all I can say about this. I made a $30 payment with a payment voucher, and before I could even browse the internet, play a game, or download  a video on Netflix I got the "you have used 95% of your data" text.

I know that a GB isn't a huge amount, so when I only have that much data I usually only play one of my games and I don't stream videos on Netflix, I download them so I can watch them later

Um...downloading is just about the same as streaming.

Did you even have data on in those 5 - 10 minutes? Did your plan data have anything left? Was it that you used the phone and plan data to buy and apply the voucher and add-on? So that then data was still on?

@anniemh2220

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  If you want to contact moderator, follow the instructions below.  But expect minimum 2-3 day wait these days.  It might be a possible glitch in the system.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(include your phone number, account number and PIN)

mimmo

@anniemh2220 wrote:

I know that a GB isn't a huge amount, so when I only have that much data I usually only play one of my games and I don't stream videos on Netflix, I download them so I can watch them later. 

moderators can only be contacted by private message. expect a 72+ hour delay.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's not good news @anniemh2220

Do you have a data tracking app on your phone by any chance? Those often helping in weeding out the culprit that is consumming all your data.

However, sometimes there are things the phone does that eats up data as well, like system updates or handshakes that are required when the phone is setting up or some updates are required. What kind of phone do you have?

Some community members have some good tips on finding out how to avoid those situations in the future.

I remember something like that happening when I was doing some updates and it didn't finish when I left the Wifi signal and it ate up over a gig of data in a short time.

anniemh2220

I know that a GB isn't a huge amount, so when I only have that much data I usually only play one of my games and I don't stream videos on Netflix, I download them so I can watch them later. 

mimmo

What phone are you using?  And what plan are you on? There are apps available that will show your data usage and what used them.

lso in future you might want to do a plan change or early plan renewal instead of buying a gig of data.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Disable auto-updates

This is the main reason for data usage without knowing.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@anniemh2220

Netflix uses 1gb per hour and if you put it in HD it uses 1gb in 20 minutes. 1 game update can use up your entire data plan. In terms of “content” 1GB is almost 0 these days. Where my internet is unlimited, I typically use between 1000gb and 4500gb monthly.

But its best to ask your phone. Go into settings and data usage and look at what app(s) were using it. 

Just because "you" are sleeping, doesn't mean your phone is.  Maybe your map was updating. Maybe facebook was doing something, maybe the app store was installing the new version of samsung pay or uber, maybe your pictures were being backed up to the cloud, calender sync, contact backup, etc or some other app (even if you don't use it, or even know that its installed). Maybe it was a malicious app stealing your identity.

I don’t mean this to be rude but take responsibility for your phone or accept that it will do anything it wants without you giving it permission while you are sleeping. Maybe one day it will use 1000mb the next day it will use 0. Many things that use data on the phone are not regularly scheduled. Get a firewall. Disable background data for apps that you don't want to access. Uninstall apps that you don't use. Root your phone, Install a custom operating system. Disable auto-updates, etc

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@anniemh2220 wrote:
@will13am
I agree but I didn't watch anything, I didn't even open my browser.
I will check my usage history now.

Very likely it was your phone doing updates without your knowledge. Although most programs should be smart enough to only do it on wifi unles there is a settings problem.

Check your phones history and the account history and let us know what app so we can help you disable that and at least in the future this wont happen again.

It's best to go to mcdonalds / tim hortons / public wifi and do your updates threre with wifi once in a while.

anniemh2220
@will13am
I agree but I didn't watch anything, I didn't even open my browser.
I will check my usage history now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@anniemh2220, one gig of data is like a tiny pinch of salt when it comes to video watching.  Personally I would not be surprised the days was consumed rather fast.  Login to your self serve account and take a look at the usage history.  

Need Help? Let's chat.