cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cell number had been stolen

clarahong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I suddenly received the message at 3:37 pm today ( April 1st, 2020) from #4800 as follows...

" Hey, it's Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbox via this rink bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in "unauthorized port". This will put you in touch with our moderator team. Free msg. " when I was at home.

Right after this message, I got two text messages from #438-***-**** that " hey" and "Hey math" and then my phone stop working. I did not know what was happening because the situations occurred very quickly. To make matters worse, the fraud logged in my bank account with verification code from my cell phone number and send all my money in the bank account to someone by using E-transfers twice.

I went to Public Mobile at Walmart in Squamish BC and explained my situation to help me. I wanted to check my cell phone information right after the fraud. However, the staff said that he could not help to access my information although I was there with my picture ID and sim card. It does not make sense at all!

I can not do anything as the owner of my number? Nevertheless, how my cell phone number could be transferred by someone without my ID and permission even though I was at home with my cell phone and my sim card was inside my phone??? If you are a Public Mobile user, does it reasonable and make sense???

I want to know how this phenomenon happened without any of my permission and how you will solve this serious problem. Please contact me ASAP via E-mail because I do not have my cell number now as you know. 

Thank you.

79 REPLIES 79

@Pawprints1986 @clarahong  Well then its time public mobile implements a similar approach. We may be third tier but we deserve an equal amount of porting protection. Technically we would get slightly better by circumstance of no phone support. So @Alan_K  maybe you will want to run with this...a couple of options the good ol post it note on the account. I contact the mods and tell them I want "post it note" port protection! Number can't be ported out unless that post it is removed by me either by me before I plan to port or once a porting request comes in and I'm notified by text I must sign into the community and message the mods, verify and then authorize the port before my number is released.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Koodo also has now where you have to call in to authorize a port out. I had to to port here

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Watch CBC Marketplace on how to get into the account of the CBC host and add himself as the second user and changed her PIN# on her account.  That CSR should be fired while talking to someone with a male voice and the account owner name is a female name.  He should have stop right there without going any further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_r2GYLdCI

@MattBrown  Sorry to hear about your experience with a fraudulent port. It is important to remember that you are not really protected from this scam at any canadian provider other than rogers who offer an optional port protection "lock" that requires the customer to call and request the port (unlock) before rogers will release the phone number. A crafty fraudster can circumvent this by using social engineering on customer service agents to also release your account number as well. This is much more difficult to do at public mobile because of the lack of phone support.

You also have the added protection of being able to change all personal identifiers in your account...the only thing you cannot change is the account #. Changing the spelling of your name or choosing a fake name makes very difficult for a fraudster to obtain this information unless they gain access to your account. Having a strong password will protect your account from being hacked. Ultimately a fraudulent port is often precipitated by the sharing of personal information on social media platforms or the internet at large. Only the customer is responsible for this....not public mobile who adheres to Canada's strict privacy laws but they also must comply with WCC regulations regarding the ease of porting out a number to a new provider.

Both you and @clarahong (who suggested this policy earlier) should take note that telus will be implementing additional port protection in the near future....hopefully this will include koodo and public mobile.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/cellphone-industry-leaves-canadians-vulnerable-to-identity-theft-1.4576801

“Outside of the CWTA process, we recently introduced a one-way SMS notification (text message) that asks our customers to contact us if they have not requested a port, but we believe that any industry-wide process for porting must have two-way validation as a cornerstone.”

In the very near future one additional layer will be introduced:

“Telus stated, “TELUS has proposed changes that will prevent numbers from being ported unless customers validate – by responding to a text message – that they actually requested the number port. “

Bottom line is that if you let someone else get ahold of your unique SIM card number (written on the SIM card itself) then you've exposed yourself to risk of SIM jacking and SIM fraud - for as long as you continue using that SIM card.

Buy SIM cards from legit sources, not from anonymous resellers. There's no reason anybody should ever need this number except for a legit activation or a shady theft - so once you've activated you SIM you can scribble this number off. Maybe that's needlessly paranoid but it's never caused me any issues.

Keep your SIM card (in your phone) away from people you can't trust. Treat your phone like your house keys.

Because If someone can get your SIM number - along with whatever else they know about you - along with whatever accounts, PINs, and passwords you might let your phone conveniently "remember" for you - then you can basically lose access to anything you've ever accessed online through that device.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, is there a list of all the possible legit public mobile text numbers, in addition to 611 or 4800? 

@Pawprints1986 

In my nearly two years here I have seen:
611 - PIN, heads up, Thank you, minutes left, data consumed, texts left, no roaming, roaming expiry
5129 - CRTC thing
100 - payment made, rewards applied, referral, dropped referral, referral credit, add-on added (just promos)
5132 - sundry announcements
7626 - welcome to US
5130 - hmm why did I send a postal code to this number? 🙂
5131 - new referral code announcement, 1gb gift, a text-based survey
5169 - happy holidays

Edit: @gblackma : I don't think the alternate number is required. It is for porting in though.

If you use a prepaid "credit card" gift card you can be anonymous. I have a registered reloadable card that I use for mobile ordering and I use a different name. iirc the address has to be real.

@MattBrown  just change your name on your self service account anything will do ie Free Willy . This would prevent fraudelent porting. The only thing required to be real on your account is your alternate phone number and your credit card information.

MattBrown
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the exact same experience on Public Mobile very recently. If not already done so, I suggest you file a Police Report immediately. Also report this to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center with a specific mention about PUBLIC MOBILE. Also check in your shopping accounts, if there are any unusual address/phone numbers added. Also Post this on Public Mobile's Facebook and Twitter.  I moving away from PUBLIC MOBILE and I suggest you consider that as well.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Glad to hear they were able to track it down! Also I love your idea, that basically if you don't act, PM won't act, instead of you madly trying to rush into contact with a moderator via an online not so quick customer service system and then they *might* be able to help you in time... For everyday I'm all for help requests taking time, but that is one thing that cannot be addressed casually because it gives the spoofer more time you work with your info before a moderator might even be aware that you need help. 

I wonder if calling the telus port number if they could help in a more immediate way? At least until hopefully something better is put into place with PM directly ?

@Pawprints1986  You know I've been wondering exactly the same thing myself....it would be important to have access to your account number other than your self serve as access will be cut off the moment your number is released by public mobile. But that would only be helpful if the number is ported to a mobile provider under the bell/telus umbrella. Porting is handled by the incoming number ports new provider.

Pawprints1986

Glad to hear they were able to track it down! Also I love your idea, that basically if you don't act, PM won't act, instead of you madly trying to rush into contact with a moderator via an online not so quick customer service system and then they *might* be able to help you in time... For everyday I'm all for help requests taking time, but that is one thing that cannot be addressed casually because it gives the spoofer more time you work with your info before a moderator might even be aware that you need help. 

I wonder if calling the telus port number if they could help in a more immediate way? At least until hopefully something better is put into place with PM directly ?

@clarahong  WOW! That's the most sensible, practical and easy to implement solution to providing additional port protection for public mobile customers i have heard or seen since the topic of sim-jacking (fraudulent number porting) has become a discussion of great importance on public mobiles community.

I commend the moderators for working diligently to recover your phone number for you. I hope public mobile and @Alan_K  seriously consider your idea for port protection. Hopefully the recovery of your number also leads to the arrest of the criminal that has caused you so much grief. I wish you luck in recovering your other losses and you choose a clever pseudonym for your account.

clarahong

Fortunately, the porting team found my number and gave me it back today. 

The following message is from the team.

".....we got your number back! It's working on the same SIM card that you had before so please put that in the device and restart it. Also, we needed to pull back the number on a new account so if you can please recreate the Self Serve account it would be the last step to make sure it's all working as before 😄....."

I am thankful to the Public Mobile team made efforts to find my number. They did a great job!

However, my all personal information has been already scammed and I do not know what the fraud is playing with it. I am still very scared of the fact. The issue should not happen to all users again. To protect users, Public Mobile should wait for the user's authorization first before porting the number. And also, they should change the terms like this :

" If you REQUESTED the TRANSFER, please immediately OPEN our chatbox via this link... and TYPED AUTHORIZED P
ORT". If you did NOT make this REQUEST, NO ACTION is required." instead of "If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbox via this rink ........and type in "unauthorized port". 

If then, the users' number will be held before they see the text message or make sure whether it is a scam or not. That can be the PROTECTION from a fraud. The porting should not happen in a few minutes right after sending the text message like my situation. Furthermore, that way is much more reasonable because if the user is trying to port number out, he/she can immediately go through the link and type "Authorized port". No need to wait for him/her to port out. 

clarahong

just "4800" or "611"

Pawprints1986

@clarahong If you see this, can you confirm if the text was from "#4800" or just "4800"

Just so i can know for future reference...

Pawprints1986

So, is there a list of all the possible legit public mobile text numbers, in addition to 611 or 4800? 

I'm also about to make my password alot stronger... Seems like a safer place to start between that and the name change... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clarahong 

So how are you making out with your adventure?

I've come to think of the notification text as a negative option thing like the Rogers cable fiasco a number of years ago. We'll charge you money unless you say no. Here: we'll port your number unless you contact us IMMEDIATELY to say no.

So many kinds of wrong.

clarahong

@CannonFodder so , was this woman on hold with Rogers or "Rogers" aka a spoofer? 

All this talk makes me want to customize my name even more... Lol. 

If we get a text, from PM, how would we know if it's real or a spoof text? What all can we do to prevent it? 

I agree with you. I got a message from #4800 but Public Mobile always sends me a text message with #611; therefore, I thought that the text message was a scam. Moreover, I did not give Public Mobile my authorization to port my number out. Public mobile should wait for my permission or give me a phone call to make sure the person who wants to port is me! The fraud ported my number in a few minutes after I got the text message from Public Mobile. 

I can not believe that the text message from Public Mobile is for a customer's protection.   

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I also would love official port protection... Especially if this scam has been on the rise, we legit customers deserve it. I've made name changes but is it enough ?

Not if the SIM jacker gets access to your PM account.

I don't list  any info anywhere that I don't have to. Many places have my name but that's it. No cell number or address on Facebook, Facebook email is my old school one with nothing financial linked to it.... But if scammers want to scam bad enough they'll find a way... But in this case for a phone number, why? What's the point?

In today's world a phone number is the key to your digital wallet.

Are you supposed to reply directly to that text should we receive one? If your number is falsely ported, can you get it back? 

Have a stiff drink and start calling your Bank/Credit Card to secure/lock down your accounts. Getting back your number would be the least of your worries.

@darlicious wrote:

As previously usual in the telecom industry the majority of the players have to be brought kicking and screaming to the table by binding legislation after many rounds of consultation by the WCC.

[snipped, for brevity]

So instead we wait for another round of hearings for the WCC to formalize a secure process of account ownership verification and subsequent safe number porting that will force the bulk of canadian providers to an agreement in principle with legislation enactment to follow.....

Just out of curiosity, given that your essay SOUNDS fairly official-like, is that something that you've done a little research on, or is there a fair bit of opinion in there, about how you think the process is likely to unfold? 🤔

@Pawprints1986   It's only in the payment section that you need your credit card details to be an exact match. You can change almost everything in your profile page.....age, address, dob....

Pawprints1986

Just went through and changed every letter of my name to something looking similar yet would be extremely hard to guess via PC character map

Hope it's accurate what I'm reading and that it won't effect payment... The screen in fine print says to be careful and make sure all your details match your credit card details... Here's hoping!

As previously usual in the telecom industry the majority of the players have to be brought kicking and screaming to the table by binding legislation after many rounds of consultation by the WCC. With the exception of a few providers (eastlink and sasktel come to mind) canadian mobile providers have rarely if ever have managed to agree to a voluntary standard of practice.

This is a case of the WCC mandating easy number porting because most providers were so resistant to allowing the free movement of phone numbers between carriers because they knew ig was the easiest way to keep their claws on their customers. Porting freedom enjoyed a couple of years of blissful innocence until technology and criminal enterprise have taken over to create a real threat to number portability. Customers and the WCC are left scrambling to come up with an easy to implement port protection protocol that the industry can agree to and administer.

So instead we wait for another round of hearings for the WCC to formalize a secure process of account ownership verification and subsequent safe number porting that will force the bulk of canadian providers to an agreement in principle with legislation enactment to follow.....

Pawprints1986

@CannonFodder so , was this woman on hold with Rogers or "Rogers" aka a spoofer? 

All this talk makes me want to customize my name even more... Lol. 

If we get a text, from PM, how would we know if it's real or a spoof text? What all can we do to prevent it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping 

Even still, what if you don't? No system should do something as deep as moving a number without a last possible confirmation. If it's a legit port then the customer will confirm right away. It should never do it in a negative option method.

popping

Instead of calling to cancel the port, call 611 from your phone to release phone number is simple and effective.

popping

@CannonFodder 

Agree.  I think we are living at a time that people want thing done right away. 

Provider should ask for account PIN# or secret code.  If the owner does not reply, provider will not release phone number.

@Pawprints1986  There was a story on, IIRC, Global News, about a month, or so, ago, in which the woman in the story received a text from Rogers(her provider), telling her to call a certain number if she DIDN'T initiate a number port, so she called, and they put her on hold, and WHILE SHE WAS ON HOLD, her service died, because...... you guessed it, her number was ported while she was waiting to talk to someone at Rogers! 😡 That kind of crap should NEVER happen!!! 👎

Pawprints1986

Especially when you consider in normal times, many jobs you can go many hours at work without being allowed or able to check your phone... So I could in effect have my number stolen because I couldn't know while I was working... 

Need Help? Let's chat.