cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: The Brilliance of Telus

Public Mobile isn't as brilliant as it used to be just a few years ago.

On the downside:

Limited Talk/Text Plans, fixed Plans (no more Build Your Own Plan options), no more 10-day or 90-day Plans, endless parade of knee-jerk promos (catch 'em if you can, and hope the point-of-sale vendors have actually been informed, lol), conspicuous absence of PM Mods (they don't seem to stimulate or even read these forums anymore, except when making announcements or responding to bad public image). Endlessly malfunctioning websites - which is pretty bad when these are so critical for the PM business model. And convoluted consumer-confusing billing. Plus of course all the shameless (and botched) Koodo migration stuff. The public image of Public Mobile looks less like a value brand and more like a Telus department every year.

On the upside:

Rewards, they all add up but AutoPay and Referrals and Loyalty tend to go a long way towards cheap phone bills.  Unlimited Talk/Text is always awesome. Long-Distance Add-on minutes (which never expire) are a great deal if your country is on the list. US Roaming Add-ons are also a great deal if you can use them well. Telus (and shared Bell/Sasktel/etc) network is basically number one in Canada by almost every measure. With all the Telus freebies (HD voice, video streaming optimizations, E911, etc) built into it. Public Mobile still has the edge, overall, although competing value brands do seem to be closing the gap and gaining momentum. And while there are faults and problems with many PM vendors there are in fact quite of lot of PM vendors all around Canada, they've gone a long way towards being able to provide something almost equivalent to actual shops/kiosks with actual face-to-face face-to-face customer service.  And Simon... I'm still unconvinced that investing in friendly helpful automation instead of investing in friendly helpful staff is at all the smart thing to do in a service industry... But I'll give it a chance. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren mind you, in ON I noticed at many locations reception is worse than those of Rogers and Bell.  Sometimes Telus even has no signal......

That's interesting except for Toronto/gta everywhere I went last couple of years bell is always stronger or even present. Decade ago or before it looked very different though

@dickwong wrote:

@srlawren mind you, in ON I noticed at many locations reception is worse than those of Rogers and Bell.  Sometimes Telus even has no signal......

Bell serves Telus signals in Ontario, as the coast to coast network is fully shared between Telus and Rogers.

you get exactly the same service on a Bell tower, as you would on a Telus tower.

Rogers may have better service in some areas than Bell and Telus, but I haven’t found that for myself (yet).

Mayor / Maire

I keep reading claims about Rogers having generally better coverage than Telus/Bell in rural areas.  But I can't find any specific examples to support the claim. Or any zones in the Canada cellphone tower map which appear to have exclusive Rogers coverage on any frequencies. My personal experience is quite the opposite, everyone I've met in my "rural" area agrees that local Rogers coverage sucks, and it was much the same thing when I lived/worked in other "rural" areas. Telus+Bell has all the same coverage and more, plus the combined feature set of two tech leaders, Rogers is simply suboptimal.

My claim is not less anecdotal than any other internet hearsay. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes indeed, as long as you are registered successfully first time around. Apparently they are some that for whatever reason did not register successfully and they cannot sign in to contact the moderator for assistance.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM did what it advertised at a decent price and that's what attracted me to jump ship.

I have a dual sim. One for bell, another for PM. 

At least for data, there was one time where Bell didnt work, but PM worked.

There is also a spot in a building I frequent where PM and Koodo does not work, but bell does.

Not sure how true is that statement about bell and telus towers are shared. Maybe some are but not all. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@saeliux @dickwong absolutely 100% of sites for mobile usage outside of Manitoba are shared. There's one set of radios per site, and each radio transmits Bell and Telus network codes. The coverage is identical. Any perceived difference is because of phone capability or slightly different location.

Try swapping your SIMs between slots and see if there's a difference.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

@sheytoon, with the link for the score!  Really happy to have a field worker who can speak to the naysayers, and provide accurate information.