Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Best Network

pjw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Telus is First in Network Quality Performance Across Canada, Says J.D Power

May 9 2019

“Today’s acknowledgement from J.D. Power represents yet another significant milestone in our relentless pursuit of wireless excellence and innovation as we strive to deliver the best network for all Canadians,” said Darren Entwistle, President and CEO, TELUS, in an issued statement.

iPhone in Canada

16 REPLIES 16

@AE_Collector wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

What is the download speed throttled to ...around 3 MB isn’t it?

“3MB LTE”

The throttle is set to about 3Mbps when connected to the LTE network on a "3g" plan.  On a side note, 3MBps is actually 24Mbps.

Oh... that’s actually 3 Mega Bytes, not Mega Bits? I thought cell data speed was almost always quoted in Mega Bits per second.

It usually is megabits used for internet connection speeds, but not always.  Apps such as Speedtest.net allow the user to set the unit of measurement to either.  I believe that BitTorrent also defaults to bytes instead of bits (unless the user changes the setting). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Poster corrected while I wrote a reply.

Oh.. sorry, you were correcting me. Thought you were saying PM 3G is actually 3 Mega Bytes.     Terry

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

“3MB LTE”

The throttle is set to about 3Mbps when connected to the LTE network on a "3g" plan.  On a side note, 3MBps is actually 24Mbps.

Oh... that’s actually 3 Mega Bytes, not Mega Bits? I thought cell data speed was almost always quoted in Mega Bits per second.

@AE_Collector the speed limit on 3G plans when connected to the LTE network is 3.008 Mbps. See here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Speed-limit-on-3G-plans/td-p/343133

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sunflowershine wrote:

@pjw However PM is using 3G network only. It is way slower...

You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.   Let's just take your argument of 3G. Did know PM's 3G speed is Ridiculously fast? It is up to 42Mbps 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

“3MB LTE”

Yup. Gotta watch that capital B. 🙂

@AE_Collector wrote:

“3MB LTE”

“3MB LTE”

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K @Brooke_C here is yet anohter example of even your existing customers being confused by the "3G" nomenclature!  Please please please rename the "3G" speed data plans to something else.

I think I've heard this album a few times.  Never gets old!

@stonechucker "srlawren's greatest hits!", available now from K-Tel Records.  Order yours today!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@smp99 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Alan_K @Brooke_C here is yet anohter example of even your existing customers being confused by the "3G" nomenclature!  Please please please rename the "3G" speed data plans to something else.

After thinking about it I say leave the marketing name alone. We know the difference, and we can explain to our friends. If they call it LTE-Lite or whatever, then if/when Chatr offers  a new low 3G plan, PM will have less pressure to match because "they are 3G, we have LTE-Lite."

@smp99 strongly disagree.  I'm glad you can explain the difference to your friends but what about everyone else that finds PM via marketing or other means and has nobody to ask?  Or doesn't think to ask because they think they understand what "3G" means but are totally lacking the context.  

As to your concern about less price matching, I find that highly unlikely.  PM created these plans especially to compete with Chatr and Lucky (or whatever it used to be called, I forget now!) which only offer actual 3G network access.  If anything, PM should be trumpetting LTE network access (albeit at a throttled rate) as a market differentiator to help them compete.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

After thinking about it I say leave the marketing name alone. We know the difference, and we can explain to our friends. If they call it LTE-Lite or whatever, then if/when Chatr offers  a new low 3G plan, PM will have less pressure to match because "they are 3G, we have LTE-Lite."

@srlawren wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

I think I've heard this album a few times.  Never gets old!

srlawren

@sunflowershine wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

That isn't the case.  Public Mobile is using both HSPA+ and LTE.  Even on plans that are advertised as having 3g-like data, LTE connections are avaialble.  Customers also have the option to subscribe to full speed LTE data packages at Public Mobile although the plan pricing is different.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.