cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks Public Mobile... :'(

donaldblair
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well... I used the service offering provided by PM for the last couple of weeks. While the service is great, and I love the community idea, it was just far too expensive for me (data was literally the killer). I switched today to Telus' other brand, Koodo, so I'm still very happy to give my money to Telus. It just won't be through PM, which is a shame, because the service was outstanding otherwise. 

If the prices ever become more reasonable (which is not likely) I will definitely consider coming back. 

And hey, at least PM isn't Rogers. Those jerks...

Cheers and happy PM'ing

11 REPLIES 11

donaldblair

Thanks @pav, PM was great in the few weeks I had it, but I rapidly outgrew my plan. I'm trying to manage cashflow, too, so the earlier examples of a 90-day plan may be workable for some, but not for me. 

I'm just as happy to have been with PM as I am with Koodo. The money all goes to the same pot, anyway.

Nothing wrong with PM at all. It was just suddenly too expensive for me. That's all.

pav
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@donaldblair

PM offers great value for BYOD users, however, not all of their plans are competitive. PM is limited by the restrictions imposed by their parent company (Telus) and partner subsidiaries (Koodo, PC Mobile) to ensure there is no competitive "overlap".  Such is the reality of the mobile industry landscape. 

I'm facing a similar situation in that I have "outgrown" my plan. 

In the end, what's important is that you find an affordable plan that meets your needs.

PMcNamara16
I have found PM much cheaper simply because of the rewards (which isn't found anywhere else in Canada). The 90 day plans are really great too.

Or, if you really need more than 5Gb of data, you can pay PM $98 a month for the same service as you have with Koodo currently, but get 6Gb of data instead (please note that this is a 30 day plan instead of a monthly plan with Koodo, however).

Also, keep in mind that all these prices for PM are NOT factoring in a further discount you could potentially receive as part of the community reward if you keep participating in PM's community.

Either way you slice it, I have a hard time seeing how PM is any more expensive than Koodo.

Capture.JPG

@donaldblair For comparison sakes, you could be paying PM approximately $68 a month for the same thing, except with 4GB instead of 5GB of data approximately each month. Here's a screenshot (deduct $6 per 90 day period as the autopay bonus):

Capture.JPG

donaldblair

For those who aren't heavy data users, I can definitely see the value. But for me, it wasn't quite worth it in the end. I use too much data and even the $5-10 in savings (not to mention the much, much cheaper overage charges), and the convenience of being billed instead of prepaid, made logical sense in switching. I didn't like it, but it was the best decision.

I will say, the port from PM to Koodo was very problematic (in that, it simply did not work at the Koodo store) so I opted for a new phone number instead. This means, my PM service isn't quite dead yet... if I could find a new use for the PM service, and it was worth keeping, I might just do that. Defeats the purpose of switching entirely, but maybe I can use it as a phone for my mistress? LOL

donaldblair

With PM, I was initially paying $45/month for province-wide calling, unlimited Canada-wide text, and 1GB of data, which was all on a 30 day plan.

With Koodo, I'm paying $95/month, and it includes unlimited Canada-wide calling, unlimited text/mms, and 5GB of data. Incidentally, additional data is billed at $5 per every 250 MB, which is already much cheaper than the PM addon of $10 per 250MB. 

Even a comparable plan with PM would be at least $115, last time I did the math. Just checked, its around $100 for something remotely similar.

I also prefer the convenience of being billed monthly, as opposed to prepaid. 

Like I said, my money is still all going to the same bank account, and deservedly so: Telus (Telus/Bell) has been a great experience thus far. I would have liked to stay with PM, but data was just too expensive ($30 to add-on 1GB of data? No thanks...)

donaldblair

LOL. I know it's funny but my original plan was 1GB: the total price I was billed for was around $45. This was $10 shy of my former Rogers corporate plan, which was around $55-60 but included "unlimited" data (6GB, throttled down after that), unlimited nationwide calls, unlimited text and mms, and - if I recall - North America LD. 

I sacked Rogers because after a few years, they royally screwed me on roaming. I mean, with my pants still on screwed.

PM's offering (after a month-long Wind experiment) was great, but I'm a very heavy data user - I do a lot of hotspot usage and a lot of downloading and browsing from my mobile device. 1GB was gone in literally two days, and I spent another $20 (trying to be conservative with cash) on 400 MB total add-ons. It was becoming simply too expensive. 

When I asked the rep at Koodo why a contract is always cheaper, he said (and I dunno why I didn't think of this myself) that because it's expected you'd stay on a postpaid plan longer as a committed customer than on prepaid, companies like Telus need to make up the difference for someone who might only stay for a month or two.

I pay a much more affordable rate than the fuzzy little carriers who love the Cap1 Theme, Hand in our pockets, lol

Ali

Hello @donaldblair

So what's you plan with koodo now? how much are you paying?

Ali

emilyge0rgia

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? how much data do you use? lmao

Need Help? Let's chat.