Texting from Cuba

smay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can anyone tell me how expensive it is to text back to Canada from Cuba 

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@koimr1 wrote: 

I am really surprised Google hasn't come out with their own iMessage alternative - they seemed to be heading in that direction with Hangouts but then cut that out and seem to toss out a new text/chat app every other year. I see their latest attempt Allo is now being "paused" in favour of another new messaging app (or part of their existing "Messages" app) named "Chat". Sheesh. At least this one is supposed to deal heavily with RCS but since that needs carrier support.....

Yes Allo and Hangouts are now old news.  RCS with Messages will [eventually, ugh, so slow] be the iMessage-for-Android, essentially.  It literally can't come fast enough.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite wrote:

@koimr1 Apparently Whatsapp has as many users as Messenger; both owned by Facebook. https://www.dailydot.com/debug/facebook-messenger-vs-whatsapp/

Oh yes - I'm aware of the popularity of WhatsApp but not in North America - at least I have no friends or acquaintances that use it here.

On a recent European trip it was the go-to app for everyone, even a lot of businesses.

Since it is owned by Facebook one has to wonder what will happen in a few years - will they merge FB Messenger and WhatsApp given recent security concerns and WhatsApp being known as the more secure option? Hmmm.

koimr1

@stonechucker wrote:

@koimr1, I actually prefer SMS over everything else because of my vision issues, requiring an app that I can customize for colour and font sizes.

Ideally for me, Apple would allow everyone to access iMessage / Facetime with android/windows phone /etc OR allow other apps to connect to their iMessage / Facebook platform.

Thnen everyone could connect with everyone else.

First world problems.... grrrr.....

I can completely appreciate that re: vision. I know you can change the font size system-wide in Android if that helps any but you're probably already aware of that. 😞

I am really surprised Google hasn't come out with their own iMessage alternative - they seemed to be heading in that direction with Hangouts but then cut that out and seem to toss out a new text/chat app every other year. I see their latest attempt Allo is now being "paused" in favour of another new messaging app (or part of their existing "Messages" app) named "Chat". Sheesh. At least this one is supposed to deal heavily with RCS but since that needs carrier support.....

@koimr1 Apparently Whatsapp has as many users as Messenger; both owned by Facebook. https://www.dailydot.com/debug/facebook-messenger-vs-whatsapp/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Someone_here wrote:

Even without the US roaming option, I do receive texts (but cannot send texts) when I am in the USA. Anybody knows if this works in other countries (I am assuming not)?

Don't see how this could be possible when PM SIM cannot connect to any network outside its own, or where it has roaming agreements. One may even call the sell serve 800 number (*611) from the USA.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@koimr1, I actually prefer SMS over everything else because of my vision issues, requiring an app that I can customize for colour and font sizes.

Ideally for me, Apple would allow everyone to access iMessage / Facetime with android/windows phone /etc OR allow other apps to connect to their iMessage / Facebook platform.

Thnen everyone could connect with everyone else.

First world problems.... grrrr.....

koimr1

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am cool.  Alright well between our responses I think we've given the best possible easy scenarios.

@smay there is in fact another option though it's a bit more convoluted.  If you absolutely *need* to be able to receive your text messages on your regular public mobile phone number, and have access to a spare Android phone, you can set up a forwarding of your inbound texts.  Basically you leave the Android at home (or somewhere in Canada), plugged into a charger/wall outlet (so it doesn't run out of juice and shut down), and take your SIM out and put it in that spare phone before leaving for the airport/border.  You can run a text forwarding app on the Android phone to take any inbound SMS messages and forward them to another phone number (such as a Fongo or Text Plus number) and/or email address, so that you can receive them when on WiFi in Cuba.  You would still need to reply in some other way, such as texting back from Fongo/TextPlus which would show up with that phone number instead of your own Public Mobile number and may confuse your contacts, or reply to them via email or another chat app like WhatsApp, etc.  This route is a bit more convoluted which is why I didn't suggest it at first, but if you absolutely need to be able to receive inbound texts (2-factor tokens, work texts, etc) that you can't transition to some other messaging app and have a spare Android phone to leave at home and don't mind leaving your phone and SIM card back in Canada, this is a possible option,

Have been lurking in this thread.....

Similar to what you just wrote above with an SMS forwarding app there's another alternative if you have an Android phone that you can leave at home and on with your PM SIM card installed - Join by joaoapps

Because I have terrible reception in my basement office I leave my cell upstairs and when I receive a text Join notifies me and lets me reply with my PC (there is a Win 10 companion app). However, it doesn't have to be a PC - you can use an Android tablet or phone too, and it even provides a web URL so you can use a browser.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work with your phone in Canada and a browser/app in Cuba - it doesn't need to be on the same network as it uses Google Drive to do its magic.

It is a one month trial then it's a one-time payment, and it's Android-only (the main app - there's companion apps too like the Win 10 one I mentioned as well as a Chrome extension). I've been doing this for over a year now and it's been working great.

Getting further off-topic, with all that said above I haven't needed it as much for SMS lately as I sent out a "if you want to reach me quicker don't use SMS/texting - use FB Messenger instead" so most people contact me that way. SMS needs to go away. Not a huge fan of FB Messenger myself but pretty much everyone has it installed so gotta go with the flow. In mainland Europe it's evidently WhatsApp that's in vogue and having used that too I hope it manages to gain traction over here.

(Join does other things too - like sharing files/links/app notifications between devices but the SMS thing is more relevant to this thread)

srlawren

@Someone_here wrote:

Even without the US roaming option, I do receive texts (but cannot send texts) when I am in the USA. Anybody knows if this works in other countries (I am assuming not)?

@Someone_here yeah that [ability to receive incoming texts in the US without any roaming add-on(s)] has been discussed before.  I don't think we've ever gotten an official word on it, but I think it's one of two possible things:

1) PM needs to be able to send you the message welcoming you to the US, and the reply that you can't reply when you try to reply, and thus can't fully block your incoming texts, so it's a loophole that you receive them, AND/OR

2) It's deliberate, in hopes that it will entice you to spring for at least the US Roaming Text add-on in order to reply to messages you receive from friends/family/colleagues. 

I personally lean more toward item 2 but it could be a mix.  Or neither, could be something else entirely.

To your question about while in other countries:  no.  You will just receive nothing.  PM does not have roaming agreements outside of the US so you'll get no signal at all. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@chandlerparsons wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@chandlerparsons wrote:

You can't. Cuba is not included on the list.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/t...

@chandlerparsons that list is not at all helpful for this scenario.  It is the countries to which you can make callswhile you are in Canada

@smay to your question though:  the answer is still the same, you can't.  The reason is different though.  Public Mobile does not offer ANY roaming services other than in the USA.  So you will get zero signal on your phone while in Cuba.

Oh ya, sorry I got confused! But you're right. He still can't.

@chandlerparsons, you may want to edit (strikethrough) your first post just to be sure not to confuse other people who would stop reading the thread after your message, thinking they found the good answer and that they canuse their phone while in these countries...

srlawren

@will13am cool.  Alright well between our responses I think we've given the best possible easy scenarios.

@smay there is in fact another option though it's a bit more convoluted.  If you absolutely *need* to be able to receive your text messages on your regular public mobile phone number, and have access to a spare Android phone, you can set up a forwarding of your inbound texts.  Basically you leave the Android at home (or somewhere in Canada), plugged into a charger/wall outlet (so it doesn't run out of juice and shut down), and take your SIM out and put it in that spare phone before leaving for the airport/border.  You can run a text forwarding app on the Android phone to take any inbound SMS messages and forward them to another phone number (such as a Fongo or Text Plus number) and/or email address, so that you can receive them when on WiFi in Cuba.  You would still need to reply in some other way, such as texting back from Fongo/TextPlus which would show up with that phone number instead of your own Public Mobile number and may confuse your contacts, or reply to them via email or another chat app like WhatsApp, etc.  This route is a bit more convoluted which is why I didn't suggest it at first, but if you absolutely need to be able to receive inbound texts (2-factor tokens, work texts, etc) that you can't transition to some other messaging app and have a spare Android phone to leave at home and don't mind leaving your phone and SIM card back in Canada, this is a possible option,

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am duh!  Those are all alternatives to using SMS.  I mean, if you're going to the bother of downloading a data-based SMS app and setting up a new account on it and having to give all your friends the new number to message you on while you're away, why not instead download WhatsApp/FB Messenger (let's call those the two most popular) and then tell your friends to WhatsApp you (on your regular Public Mobile phone number they already text you on) or FB Messenger message you (using your regular Facebook profile to which they are already connected as FB friends--I'm assuming here).  

You are preaching to the choir here about SMS.  You know where I stand on this deprecated platform from the last century.  The question from OP was "Can anyone tell me how expensive it is to text back to Canada from Cuba?"  I am trying to give as direct of an answer as possible. 

srlawren

@will13am duh!  Those are all alternatives to using SMS.  I mean, if you're going to the bother of downloading a data-based SMS app and setting up a new account on it and having to give all your friends the new number to message you on while you're away, why not instead download WhatsApp/FB Messenger (let's call those the two most popular) and then tell your friends to WhatsApp you (on your regular Public Mobile phone number they already text you on) or FB Messenger message you (using your regular Facebook profile to which they are already connected as FB friends--I'm assuming here).  

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@smay, install a text messaging app that works off of WiFi data like text plus.  When in Cuba you will be able to send and receive sms using the app and phone number assigned by the app.

@will13am yeah that's another option too, though at a separate phone number.  Since either option requries data (e.g. WiFi) to work, personally I'd steer toward a cocktail of WhatsApp + FB Messenger + Skype [+ iMessage, if I were an iPerson].

If you want SMS, those options won't work.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@smay, install a text messaging app that works off of WiFi data like text plus.  When in Cuba you will be able to send and receive sms using the app and phone number assigned by the app.

@will13am yeah that's another option too, though at a separate phone number.  Since either option requries data (e.g. WiFi) to work, personally I'd steer toward a cocktail of WhatsApp + FB Messenger + Skype [+ iMessage, if I were an iPerson].

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

chandlerparsons

@srlawren wrote:

@chandlerparsons wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/t...

@chandlerparsons that list is not at all helpful for this scenario.  It is the countries to which you can make callswhile you are in Canada

@smay to your question though:  the answer is still the same, you can't.  The reason is different though.  Public Mobile does not offer ANY roaming services other than in the USA.  So you will get zero signal on your phone while in Cuba.

Oh ya, sorry I got confused! But you're right. He still can't.

srlawren

@smay sadly no.  Texting (like standard SMS/MMS texting) does not work over WiFi.  What would work fine over WiFi is data-based messaging apps, and there are many.  Popular ones that you may find your friends and family on include WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Allo, WeChat, Line, BBM, Signal, Hangouts, Slack, and many others.  I'm betting you will find that just about everyone you know is on 1 or more of the first 3 in that list.  It's worth looking into that before you leave Canada.  

If you're on an iPhone, you can also use iMessage over data of course.  I'm not an iOS guy so I can't help you with that specifically, but I believe you would need to turn off SMS/MMS delivery just before getting on the airplane in Canada, so that it's only using data.  This means you would only be able to message with other iMessage users (I think those are the blue bubble conversations), but not with anyone on Android or other OS (green bubble conversations).

smay

So will I be able to use it with wifi . Sorry but I’m a little stupid when it comes to technology 

srlawren

@chandlerparsons wrote:

smay

Thank you for info

chandlerparsons
Need Help? Let's chat.