cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting Services

Brent01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All, Wondering if anyone is having concerns regarding texting.  I know for a fact some of my texts haven’t been received by a recipient on Rogers. Some other recipients reply’s indicate they haven’t received all my information as well. Now I know texting isn’t 100% but this is starting to look abnormal. Thanks 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

Brent01

@stonechucker wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, unless you're sending SMS via a program other than iMessage on an iPhone, an Android device will not receive it.

Until Apple allows Android (and other platforms) to communicate on the iMessage and Facebook platforms, only the folks who flock to Cupertino will receive anything from iMessage and Facebook.

You must allow SMS to be sent by iMessage, if you want to chat with everyone.

Or use a different app.

Not sure about this. I’ve had no issues sending to Android except for my concerns in the original post and that was without SMS option invoked. Actually, I had a plan once that charged per message and I could track the messages sent to Android because there was a charge whereas iMessages had no charges. So not really sure what turning on SMS even does... if anyone can clarify. 

To the best of my knowledge, unless you're sending SMS via a program other than iMessage on an iPhone, an Android device will not receive it.

Until Apple allows Android (and other platforms) to communicate on the iMessage and Facebook platforms, only the folks who flock to Cupertino will receive anything from iMessage and Facebook.

You must allow SMS to be sent by iMessage, if you want to chat with everyone.

Or use a different app.

Brent01

On my iPhone I notice that “send as SMS when iMessage is not available” is off which is the default. Wondering if turning that on would help with reliability gaps between IOS and Android?

@Cheetah24 wrote:

@will13am: Thanks for your answer. Just curious, when you say that the system is outdated do you mean the SMS protocol or the system in place at PM for sending SMS? 

Personally I've never had issues with SMS for now, but since I use SMS a lot just wanna weigh in.

I mean the SMS protocol itself.  I would think that Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile probably are using identical gateway providers, aggregators and all whatever other providers there are in the food chain.  Other carriers may use different providers and from time to time, there can be conflict or something that disruptes the smooth flow of traffic.  I am a fan of IP based services.  We should not have to differentiate talk, text, data features in a cell plan.  It is all about data.  Sustaining talk, text is what helps to keep cost high and allow for a rate structure based on political boundaries. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Brent01,  With an iPhone, there's only one way for you to see when other people have looked at your messages – that person needs to have "read receipts" activated on their phone and you both need to be using iPhone iMessage.

Here's why: When you use an iPhone to send text messages through the native Messages app, you only have the option to "send read receipts" from your phone. When you select this option, anyone who texts you will see the exact time when you opened (and presumably read) their message when they look at the text thread in the Messages app. 

Here's how to turn on read receipts from your iPhone:

1. Open Settings on your phone.
  2. Navigate to Messages (it has a green icon with a white text bubble inside it).
  3. You'll find Send Read Receipts about halfway down the list of options within the Messages section. Here you can toggle it on or off.

That doesn't really help you, though, to discover if another person has read a text message you sent. If you're using an iPhone and want to see if someone read your text message, you need to be using iMessage to send the text – and that person needs to be using an iPhone as well, in addition to the stipulation that they must have the option to send read receipts turned on.

So if you're texting a friend, family member or colleague with an Android phone, even if you go through the iMessage app, there's no way to know whether or not your message has been viewed unless you both turn on the read receipt option. That can definitely be frustrating, but maybe it's best to not know whether or not you've been "left on read"!

Bottom Line

It's not always possible to see when someone has viewed your text, meaning we can't completely avoid that uncomfortable, uncertain feeling of wondering whether we're being avoided. However, provided the person whom you're messaging has read receipts enabled and is using the same messaging platform as you, it can be done. In all other cases, we recommend just assuming he or she is having an incredibly busy day!

iOS is too advance, so no delivery report.

Brent01

That’s kewel but I use IOS. Thanks. 

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Brent01: You might know this already, but just for added safety in ensuring that you at least know that a message is not delivered, I suggest that you enable delivery reports on your messenger app. If you are using an Android device with Messenger app the delivery report enabling could be done in settings. 

I am not certain about how to enable this on iOS devices though 😞

Screenshot_2018-05-17-21-50-42[1].png

Brent01

Thanks. 

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am: Thanks for your answer. Just curious, when you say that the system is outdated do you mean the SMS protocol or the system in place at PM for sending SMS? 

Personally I've never had issues with SMS for now, but since I use SMS a lot just wanna weigh in.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

From time to time, I read about slow or no receipt of SMS and between certain carriers.  Not sure what can be done about it.  The system is totally outdated.  It might be worthwhile asking the moderator team to look into the account just to make sure there is nothing wrong there.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.