cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text to give options.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I have seen some posts here where for whatever reason someone decides to leave before their current plan cycle is up. This is usually followed by the post here asking how to get a refund. The answer is you will not get one. This is a prepaid service. You have lost your money. (Edit - even if you have funds on your account.)

There is another option. After you remove your credit card ( if applicable) and before you port your number/close your account .

Please text and give your remaining funds to a charity such as these HERE . You are doing something good and lowering your income tax at the same time.

(Note- Don't forget to go and get your tax receipt before closing your account). 

P.S. If you feel that this post is inappropriate or in the wrong place, do as you will with it.

8 REPLIES 8

Prepaid billing is made in advance, paid or not paid, actively allocated for the entire cycle or not, all or nothing. There isn't any sort of pro-rated refund/discount for "unused" portions.

Canadian Consumer Law can get your funds in account awarded back to you. If you haven't actually received the goods or services you (pre)paid for, if you have already properly communicated your grievances with the business, if you prove these things when you challenge (successfully) in law court. But it's unlikely you'd win because you can't halt service with enough funds to pay for service still in account, you've already "agreed" to the Terms of Service (by continuing to use the service), and the leftover funds in account which can't even pay a full billing cycle are chump change compared to legal expenses.

Again this doesn't mean you can just port out and say where's my money, it doesn't work that way, you should the care of it before killing your account, frankly i would see it as abandoning it so public mobile should keep it

@gblackma wrote:

I jsed this option when I left virgin mobile to come here. Thought that it could also be applied here if you left with a credit balance on your account. @totalUser . How would you get your money back? Thanks.

@totalUser wrote:

This is simply not the case

Once you paid for your service you will not get money back

If you put money in your account and you have a proof of it, it IS your money, you did not pay anything yet there are ways to have it back.

If you received gifts rewards credits you cannot cash it in.

I always have positive balance and i advise everybody who is happy with the service to have at least for the next cycle and if they are using add-ons from time to time, have room for that too. You never know when the system is gonna stop liking your credit card then you have time to sort it out with mods. But you shouldn't have too much on it either. What if you get a great koodo migration offer suddenly, sooooo

You wound talk to moderators

They can either send you a cheque or put it on your credit card. It takes long, 4 weeks or so i believe, but it's doable.

Now when you have mix of rewards and your money i'm not sure how that would work out, but knowing public mobile, they are usually nicer than they have to be (i know not always, that's why i said usually, it all chimes down to the person you are talking to) and you would probably get all the money you put up to or close to account balance. Say you have 20 rewards and you put 15 . if your plan Is 25, so you would have 10 left. We see it as 10 left over from cc payment. I can't really see public mobile claiming 10 was left over from the reward. I have seen bell do that though. A family member close the account and kept having cc charged for 4 months. When they finally stopped it they didn't return money for over a year, after remembering that cheque never came at the follow-up they claimed it was credits. She dealt with them before and it was the reason she kept those statements in the phone box for over a year, so it was a happy ending, but oh boy... She's now with public mobile too and i don't think she's leaving ever, just because of things like that and offcourse bell bill always religiously going up. At one point i suggested lucky upon seeing the add, she was with pc mobile and got really interested, when she realised it's bell she said 'no thanks'

You are right @CannonFodder  this isn't going to work unless you have a credit balance. And how prepaids are now. There shouldn't  be one. And @totalUser in an answer below says that he knows how to obtain a refund for a credit balance..  So I have to say that this by far my dumbest  suggestion. Lol. So I'm choosing your answer as the solution for pointing that out.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@gblackma  I have to wonder how that works..... I just read the blurb on that site, and it says,

"The amount of your one-time donation will be added to your wireless bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. The amount of the donation is billed by and therefore payable to your mobile service provider".

I don't get it.... for instance, someone has paid for the $25.00/month(30 days) plan, and they're going to leave, with 5 days left on their plan.... so how much is PM going to forward to charity? 🤔 

I jsed this option when I left virgin mobile to come here. Thought that it could also be applied here if you left with a credit balance on your account. @totalUser . How would you get your money back? Thanks.

@totalUser wrote:

If you put money in your account and you have a proof of it, it IS your money, you did not pay anything yet there are ways to have it back.

I always have positive balance and i advise everybody who is happy with the service to have at least for the next cycle and if they are using add-ons from time to time, have room for that too. You never know when the system is gonna stop liking your credit card then you have time to sort it out with mods. But you shouldn't have too much on it either. What if you get a great koodo migration offer suddenly, sooooo

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma 

It's a good idea but I believe Public Mobile does not allow funds to be debited from your self serve account.

At least that was the case in the past.

See this old thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Texting-to-Charities-Donate-via-Text/idi-p...

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma  I have to wonder how that works..... I just read the blurb on that site, and it says,

"The amount of your one-time donation will be added to your wireless bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. The amount of the donation is billed by and therefore payable to your mobile service provider".

I don't get it.... for instance, someone has paid for the $25.00/month(30 days) plan, and they're going to leave, with 5 days left on their plan.... so how much is PM going to forward to charity? 🤔 

Need Help? Let's chat.