cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages being blocked

memetis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here is an excerpt of the Telecommunications Act that reads: “Except where the Commission approves otherwise, a Canadian carrier shall not control the content or influence the meaning or purpose of telecommunications carried by it for the public.”. So, to ALL cell phone carriers in Canada (this includes Bell, Telus, Rogers, Shaw and Freedom Mobile), stop blocking text messages since you have no legal right to do so.

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@memetis wrote:

Yes. I found out that it IS the third party provider that all cell carriers use to sent text messages.

@memetis I don't disbelieve you, but it seems weird that there wouldn't be a loud chorus of people complaining about this if it was something deliberate/systematic.  I think I've seen the odd person here and there making similar claims in the community but not enough volume to consider it a systematic issue from what I can tell.  Would love to hear how this eventually concludes!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

memetis

Yes. I found out that it IS the third party provider that all cell carriers use to sent text messages.

srlawren

@memetis wrote:

This issues is currenlty under review by the Minister's office who is responsible for the CRTC. That is all I know right now.

@memetis are you still unable to message anyone on Freedom and Bell?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

memetis

This issues is currenlty under review by the Minister's office who is responsible for the CRTC. That is all I know right now.

srlawren

@srlawren wrote:

@memetis I'm glad that the C R T C is invesigating for you.  Please keep us posted on the progress.

@memetis hey we never did get an update.  What happened?  Robot LOL  (note I'm only asking since someone revived this thread from the dead with a blank question)

@ympatni what's up?  Did you need anything?

ympatni
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

srlawren

@memetis I'm glad that the C R T C is invesigating for you.  Please keep us posted on the progress.

memetis

I received a call from the C R T C. This issue is now under investigation.

memetis

I spoke with techincal support today and there repsonse is "we have no control on what the third party does. If they block you there is nothing we can do about it."

Here is a reminder of the obligations that Telus MUST follow if they want to stay in business: excerpt of the Telecommunications Act that reads: “Except where the Commission approves otherwise, a Canadian carrier shall not control the content or influence the meaning or purpose of telecommunications carried by it for the public.”

That is from the Federal Legislation governing the operations of ALL Telecommunications company in Canada, including Telus.

Issue NOT solved. Just people at the top trying to wash their hands of their repsonsibility.

jackfzhao

just text btw bell and pm, it's fine.

memetis

Just received a call from Telus and they confirmed it is the third party provider that is causing these issues.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am so far I beleive it's just Rogers/Fido that have deployed RCS, not Freedom (to the best of my knowledge).  @Shazia_K are you able to help?

@srlawren, I believe you are right about RCS.  There may be .1 or 0.01 updates of lesser notariety that still can affect backwards compatibility.  As for Wind/Freedom, their instant messaging is horrible at best.  Some of it has to do with the network as it is too slow to support instant messaging.  Personally, I don't use SMS/MMS much because there are so many app options that do the same thing and they work a lot better. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@srlawren

You are right!

@memetis,

Sorry to hear about this, this definitely sounds like an issue. 

Can you please send me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number, so that I can investigate? 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

srlawren

@will13am so far I beleive it's just Rogers/Fido that have deployed RCS, not Freedom (to the best of my knowledge).  @Shazia_K are you able to help?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The various carriers are rolling out updates to SMS and MMS functionality.  I wonder if there are backwards compatibility issues at play here.

memetis

Nobody will tell me, they say its "confidential information".

WHat is this third party carrier for?

memetis

I was told by another carrier that the issue is with their third party provider that all carriers use.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you believe the problem is on your end, then you should definitely contact a moderator to get it fixed! But if the problem is with Bell or Freedom mobile, then there's really nothing we can do about it.

memetis

I cannot text anyone on Freedom or Bell

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm pretty certain it's just the person you are texting that is blocking you.

A funny aside is the recent bug with Fido, where they apparently blocked any text messages with the word "uber" in it. 

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Someone is blocking your message? 

Or something is happening..

Need Help? Let's chat.