cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages Not Sending

Reddogbluedog
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having trouble sendings texts. I have no trouble receiving them.

I have full bars, and have tried restarting my phone and removing my sim and reinserting it.

I have OnePlus 5T and am running Oreo 8.1.

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LEGO wrote:

@srlawren I was not attacking or blaming you in anyway, it was just my opinion. Does Google’s messaging app needs data in order to send SMS? If it does, then it would be “patching” not “fixing”, as it would require additional resources to function properly. If it does not require data to send SMS, then it is “fixing” not “patching”. I hope I made myself clear! Peace! Woman Happy

@LEGO I think @wetcoaster has already addressed this question but I thought I'd confirm--Google Messages is a proper SMS/MMS client.  Like any other such app, it does use data to send and receive MMS, but it is sent and received in such a way that PM does not count it as part of your data usage, but rather as part of your unlimited (or limited to 50 in the case of the $10 plan) texting plan component.  RCS if and when PM ever actually supports it I believe will work similarly and not deduct from any plan data, but I could be wrong.  So far, it's a moot point unfortunately.  We'd have to ask some Rogers/Fido friends if RCS messages count in their data usage or whether they are covered by thier texting plan, since they are the only Canadian providers to offer RCS so far.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@LEGO wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

Well, it is not actually fixing the problem if you install different messaging app beside stock one. I would call it patching “working illusion”, that does not illuminate the actual problem, but just work around it. Woman Wink

@LEGO to be fair, the app I suggested he install is Google's stock messaging app, and they're building out for the future with RCS support etc.  You could argue that it's the *real* stock app for all Android phones, but that most OEMs also provide their own messaging app which supercedes it as the default. OnePlus's OxygenOS is one of the lighter variants of Android but does still replace this app.  However, there's nothing stopping you from grabbing Google's from the play store and using it instead.  

@srlawren I was not attacking or blaming you in anyway, it was just my opinion. Does Google’s messaging app needs data in order to send SMS? If it does, then it would be “patching” not “fixing”, as it would require additional resources to function properly. If it does not require data to send SMS, then it is “fixing” not “patching”. I hope I made myself clear! Peace! Woman Happy

@LEGO

Well, changing to a different SMS app has solved my messaging hick-ups - not sure why you are devalueing that approach as "it's not a solution to switch apps"... Not everybody has a background in coding and the time at hand to figure out where exactly the problem is - IMHO switching apps CAN be a solution and is worth a try.

From: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en_CA

Meet Android Messages, Android's official app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS). Message anyone from anywhere with the reliability of texting and the richness of chat. Stay in touch with friends and family, send group texts, and share your favorite pictures, videos, and audio messages.

Google's "Messages" is a messaging app, sending SMS and MMS over your talk / text connection (remember to keep your data connection enabled to ensure MMS functionality, MMS will not count against your data bucket at Public Mobile).

If you are on the $10 50minutes/50 texts plan, messages sent by the app will count against the 50 texts (remember that 1 text = 160 characters)

Google's "Messages" is NOT a messenger app like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc which are using your data (part of your plan or an add-on) for your conversations.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

Well, it is not actually fixing the problem if you install different messaging app beside stock one. I would call it patching “working illusion”, that does not illuminate the actual problem, but just work around it. Woman Wink

@LEGO to be fair, the app I suggested he install is Google's stock messaging app, and they're building out for the future with RCS support etc.  You could argue that it's the *real* stock app for all Android phones, but that most OEMs also provide their own messaging app which supercedes it as the default. OnePlus's OxygenOS is one of the lighter variants of Android but does still replace this app.  However, there's nothing stopping you from grabbing Google's from the play store and using it instead.  

srlawren

@LEGO wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Reddogbluedog, you didn’t indicate which suggestion you used.  Which one has at least fixed the issue for you so far?

LEGO

Reddogbluedog
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm going to test it over the next few days.

Thanks a lot.

srlawren

@Reddogbluedog I have a 5T on 8.1 as well (Oxygen OS 5.1.1) and it's workting without issue.  Are you using the OnePlus messages app?  Have you tried Google's Android Messages?  I'd recommend you try it if you haven't:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

If that doens't resolve it, you may need to contact the moderator team and ask them to re-push the messaging centre number to your phone.  They'll know what this means.  If you do need to reach out to them, here's all the info you need for doing so:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

LEGO

@will13am wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

@Reddogbluedog Check to see if VoLTE is on. Go to SIM & Network settings and if VoLTE is on, turn it off. See if that works for you!

Also, you may try to turn off both VoLTE and VoWiFi.

What does VoLTE and VoWi-Fi have to do with sms?  By the way Public Mobile offers neither feature.

Some people, experiencing same issue with OnePlus phones, were able to resolve this problem by turning off both VoLTE and VoWiFi. (Unfortunately, I cannot provide link, because system deletes my post!)

Even Public Mobile does not offers neither feature, having them on might interfere with sending SMS. You never know!

LEGO

@will13am wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

@Reddogbluedog Check to see if VoLTE is on. Go to SIM & Network settings and if VoLTE is on, turn it off. See if that works for you!

What does VoLTE and VoWi-Fi have to do with sms?  By the way Public Mobile offers neither feature.

Some people experiencing same issue with OnePlus phones were able to resolve this problem by turning off both VoLTE and VoWiFi. Please, read this: click here

Even Public Mobile does not offers neither feature, having them on might interfere with sending SMS. You never know!

LEGO

@will13am wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

Some people experiencing same issue with OnePlus phones were able to resolve this problem by turning off both VoLTE and VoWiFi. > click here

Even Public Mobile does not offers neither feature, leaving them on might interfere with sending SMS. You never know! Woman Happy

@LEGO wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Try looking through the messaging app settings.  It is possible that a setting may be interfering with outgoing sms.  

mimmo

@Reddogbluedog to confirm you are sending regular (short) sms not mms?  

are you able to change sms program?    have they worked before and now just stopped?  

I know occassionaly i had issues with mms and waiting 24 hours seemed to fix the issue.  

if you are a new customer then you migt  need to set up your apn (especilly if you are sending mms) and data needs to be on,

LEGO

Need Help? Let's chat.