cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Message Failing - "Message not sent"

DragonSpecV
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good day all PM peeps!

For about a month now I continually have random "Message not sent" issues when sending text messages.  Regardless if it's an SMS or MMS, it's the same go.

Message not sent.jpg

I get that little swirl in the bottom right corner of the message like it's about to send, but it takes such a long time, then finally fails!

It doesn't happen all the time, it's random, but it will happen.  It just gets annoying when I have to attempt to resend the message 3 - 4 times before it's successful!  Also, I do have service where I am, and again, it eventually goes through, but not before having to retry multiple times.

Any thoughts or ideas?  I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Thanks in advance! 

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kassim123 wrote:

In dual SIM mobile, go to message settings,  and correct the message center number. When you change the position of the cards these numbers not changing automatically.

ie: idea  +919442099997

Bsnl   +919442099997

@kassim123 FYI, until your reply, the last activity in this thread was in November....   ....of 2016.  I'm pretty confident that the original poster has already resolved this (or moved on with their lives) by now.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kassim123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In dual SIM mobile, go to message settings,  and correct the message center number. When you change the position of the cards these numbers not changing automatically.

ie: idea  +919442099997

Bsnl   +919442099997

imm1304

Hey @partingw!

In my experience, the stock SMS app on your phone is usually causing trouble.

Try one of the 3rd party sms apps such as Textra or Go SMS etc.. see if using different apps fixes the issue.

If you really want to use the stock messaging app, you can try clearing cache/data for the app.

For android, go to settings >> General >> Apps >> Messaging  and delete app data

This will cause you to lose all your saved text messages so you may wish to backup.

Don't know how to do this in iOS.  

partingw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hey there,

I'm new to PM in the last week or so. Everything works great, aside from the same issue described above. Sometimes my texts will go thru, but others it will fail and sometimes my wife's texts don't go thru to me. Please help, the power cycle fixes the issue temporarily but soon my texts continue to fail. Thanks for the help

imm1304

Good to hear that the problem is narrowed down to the APN settings now.

To access your phone's APN settings, go to menu and then tap on Settings. 

Under "NETWORK CONNECTIONS", tap on "More Networks" and then tap on "Access Point Name"

Now you will see list of current APN setting.  Tap on the currently active APN indicated by the green dot on the right side.

Now verify the MMSC line as well as add in APN type: default,mms,supl 

After this, you should be able to send/receive MMS using the stock messaging app as well.

However, since you had issues sending SMS using your stock messaging app, I would advise you to stick with one of the 3rd party apps, such as Textra or GO SMS.

DragonSpecV

@imm1304  -  Without having to reactivate the Samsung text app, I couldn't find that specific area for the MMS you were speaking about.  However, in the Textra app there were "APN Settings".

I found this online:

PM APN.jpg

The only difference I found from the default the app pulled and what is listed here is the "MMS center".  The default the app had was missing the "  /mb/  " between proxy & mmsc.  Since I added that, it has worked!  *knock*on*wood*

The app is cool, so I'll give that a shot!  But is there APN settings I can change if I go back to my regular text app just in case?  I just don't know where to find it on my phone!  *LoL*

DragonSpecV

imm1304

For MMS try this:  go to the APN settings and enter the following in APN type:  default,mms,supl

Save changes.  Reboot.  Send a test MMS.  This fixed my mms a while back. 

DragonSpecV

@imm1304   &  @Jeremy_M

Well it looks like we've got a bit further, SMS works but MMS fails w/ Textra!!  Wifey won't like it if I don't reply w/ the kisses or hearts!! *LoL*

DragonSpecV

imm1304

Good luck!  😄

DragonSpecV

@Jeremy_M   -  Unfortunately, no go on that one.  I even tried to pull battery, sim, etc. and still same issue.

@imm1304   -  I got rid of Go SMS a few months ago, so now back to a 3rd party.  *LoL*  I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Thanks guys!  Wish me luck! *LoL*

DragonSpecV

imm1304

Hey guys,

In my experience, several Android devices experienced similar issues and a quick fix was to actually use a 3rd party sms app.  @srlawren's favourite Textra app resolved the last 2 cases of sms troubles.

Give it a try and let us know @DragonSpecV

DragonSpecV

@Jeremy_M

Nice!  Yeah it's amazing what he could do back then!

And yeah, when I had mine, it was an '02.  When I was looking for a car, the car I had previously was a '93 MX-3 Precedia and standard.  I commuted back and forth from Mississauga, ON to Kitchener, ON at the time for work, so I didn't want to drive stick anymore *LoL*  Was looking for an automatic, but because this was a 6-Speed, I had no choice but to get sucked in again! *LoL*

I will try that, and let you know.  Hopefully that works!  I am afraid to start from scratch, so hopefully we don't have to go that route!  I'll let you know!

Thanks!

DragonSpecV

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@DragonSpecV

I did some Kung-fu, but Bruce never showed up.....Robot LOL

Please, power-cycle your device and let me know if that resolves your issue. If not, we might have to change tactic and reset your device from scratchSmiley Mad I'm hoping for the power-cycle to do the job!

Remember this one:

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@DragonSpecV

I love Bruce Lee too!

and the Sentra SE-R Spec V.......pretty awesome car, first one I tried that had 6 gears, too bad it wasn't mineSmiley Very Happy

Let me do some nun-chucking in the back-end, and see if this takes care of your issue 🙂

Jeremy 

DragonSpecV

@Jeremy_M

*LoL*  Well I've always been a fan of Bruce Lee, and like dragons, so that's where "Dragon" comes into play.  As for the racing car, I did own at one point a Sentra SE-R Spec V, so hence the "SpecV".  I figured it sounds good together! *LoL*

Yes, everything else is fine.  I usually use WiFi when available when it comes to data, but the problem persists regardless if WiFi is on or not.

No 3rd party app, just using the standard messaging app w/ the Note 3.  And it's generally the SMS I've been using, and more so happening to.

Thanks for your help!

DragonSpecV

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@DragonSpecV,

First, is that a username that's based off a Pokemon characterRobot LOL or a really cool racing car?

All joking aside, are you able to place calls and use data? Are you using any 3rd party app when sending SMS/MMS?

If you are, please disable them and try sending an SMS/MMS to see if you're still experiencing the same issue. If the above did not help or does not apply to you, I will push some reset buttons on my end 🙂

Jeremy

Need Help? Let's chat.