cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering a desktop computer?

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a home desktop Dell xps9100 computer. I use a Bell stick for high speed internet as it is not available in any other reliable form at my rural location and costs me a small fortune. 

My question is: 

I didn't order a wireless card when I bought the computer from Dell a few years ago......Is there an option available that allows me to wirelessly connect/tether my Dell to my

Public mobile data via my lg g5?

Would a usb wireless stick work? Or do i need to call Dell? Or would staples know? 

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Garry

USB tethered.....

Success!!!

Thanks all. 

Cheers,

Agreed with @Luddite. No need for wireless. Just direct connect your phone to the desktop with a USB cable and use USB tethering instead of WiFi tethering.

Doing this in the past, USB connection was much better: more stable, faster, keeps the phone charged.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Garry

I shall give it a try..... Thanks.

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For using your phones data to connect your desktop to the internet, a USB Wifi dongle will work. You connect the dongle to your PC, go to settings on your phone and create a WiFi hotspot and connect your PC to your phones hotspot (this uses alot of battery), allowing your PC to use your phones mobile data. Alternatively, you can plug your phone into your PC and go to settings then enable USB tethering in settings, allowing your PC to use your phones data over USB. 

Need Help? Let's chat.