cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus / Public Mobile eSim support in December?

Philly75
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I understand this may be coming to Telus soon!

I have a Pixel 3 XL and am in need of dual sim support.  It's not available with Telus today, but is with Bell, Rogers and Freedom mobile.

I read the following story line - it says it's coming to Telus later this year - that means anytime now?

Any insight here?  

If it's not coming soon I will need to switch to Lucky mobile, but I don't want to lose my Public Mobile rewards status!

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/09/05/google-pixel-3a-dual-sim-canada/

"In Canada, we know that the Pixel 3a supports dual SIM technology. We can also confirm that Pixel 3a users on Bell and its sub-brands, Freedom Mobile and  Rogers and its sub-brands can use dual SIM technology. eSIM and dual-SIM technology are coming to Telus and its sub-brands later this year."

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canuk wrote:

Telus have announced eSIM support JAN 9 2020
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-koodo-esim-iphone-pixel/

@canuk look up two messages before yours in this thread.  @moonmack beat you by about 4.5 hours, LOL.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

srlawren

@moonmack wrote:

Well it looks like Telus and Koodo now support eSIM.  Any idea if this will effect PM?

From mobilesyrup:

Telus and sub-brand Koodo now support eSIM technology

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/09/telus-koodo-esim-technology/

@moonmack if you haven't seen it announced here, then I think the answer is "no, not yet; maybe eventually."

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

moonmack

Well it looks like Telus and Koodo now support eSIM.  Any idea if this will effect PM?

From mobilesyrup:

Telus and sub-brand Koodo now support eSIM technology

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/09/telus-koodo-esim-technology/

srlawren

@kuri wrote:

I think we do have RCS now though? 

@kuri we have it because Google got tired of waiting for providers like Telus to offer it and went around them, setting up their own back-end services for RCS, which they've branded "Chat".  You've got it no thanks to Public Mobile!

kuri

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

At the end of the day, don't count on anything until it happens.  Think VoLTE.

@will13am and: VoWiFi, RCS, Visual Voicemail, a call centre for support, hardware sales, tabs, roaming [other than to the USA], and I'm sure I've forgotten a few.....  EDIT: right after posting, saw this thread, so add missed call notifications to the list (though in fairness, Telus doesn't even do that when last I checked).

I think we do have RCS now though? At least I have mine enabled on the Pixel 2 XL, and it works fine. I can see when my contacts start typing, and SMS messages are now sent & received via WiFi even when there's no cellular reception.

The only feature I really wish for in that list is VoWiFI/Wifi Calling or whatever they call it.  With my home office basement being the reception black hole that it is, I often have to leave my phone upstairs and connect via bluetooth headset when I'm expecting a business/client incoming call.  Having VoWiFi would make me very happy.  Too bad I can't convince them all to call me using WhatsApp/Skype/etc.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

At the end of the day, don't count on anything until it happens.  Think VoLTE.

@will13am and: VoWiFi, RCS, Visual Voicemail, a call centre for support, hardware sales, tabs, roaming [other than to the USA], and I'm sure I've forgotten a few.....  EDIT: right after posting, saw this thread, so add missed call notifications to the list (though in fairness, Telus doesn't even do that when last I checked).

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a third tier brand, last to adopt new technology.  e-SIM going to Telus is probably something that you can take to the bank.  Public Mobile not so much.  At the end of the day, don't count on anything until it happens.  Think VoLTE.

mimmo

@Philly75  no one here knows.  Telus and Koodo brands will probably support this before public, but that is speculation. 

Wait as long as you can and then switch if you can no longer wait.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

That would be awesome!

No news here yet. PM being a third tier carrier, expect it to be here later rather than sooner.

Need Help? Let's chat.