cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus, Koodo adds RCS support for some Samsung Smartphones.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What do you guys think about this ?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/06/02/telus-koodo-rcs-samsung-smartphones/

Do you think this will come down to public ? I have a feeling it will. We already have RCS but its only for Android messages. We don't have it yet for Samsung Messages and I never knew Telus never had it up untill now. 

16 REPLIES 16

@BearFBI I was reading about it when RCS was first announced, I think the network just has to provide the correct protocol for it to work. and public is part of the Telus network so we automatically get it.

it was a nice addition to joining public! 👍

BearFBI

@geopublic I've never hacked it. Both of my parents phones get it on Google messages and their on PM. I get it also. @gpixel gets it too. I have a S10. I downloaded Google messages and boom it said I was available for chat features. Its not the beta version either. Google mustve made it available to everyone.

Ive been reading a couple of forums and one person had it enabled on 3 different devices the day it released to Telus customers on google messages. 1 on koodo and 2 on public with google messages. And with the same phone as me. Galaxy s10

@gpixel wrote:

@geopublic is there something on pm that says this? cause when I was with virgin it did not work and when I switched to pm it gave me the option. 

I'm not on a hacked version or beta. I'm a stock google pixel

@gpixel  Pixels 👍  are different than other Android phones. Miles ahead in security and IMO functionality.

@BearFBI wrote:

@geopublic I just realized something. Google RCS says if you aren't offerd chat features by your carrier you can still enable it through Jibe mobile. Its just RCS but through googles servers. Btw my friend was on Public. Its kinda useless for carriers to support it if Google can do it. Endless you get RCS for free like MMS.

@BearFBI  I'm very aware on how it works. The only way to get it working through Jibe is you need to make changes to your device. (hack). 

BearFBI

@gpixel I use it quite often. I do agree. Imessage is better but eventually SMS will die and Apple will have to use RCS as well because the carriers will be waiting on them. then we will be all one big RCS network.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Use iPhone; don't care. Happy with iMessage, SMS, and Skype. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@BearFBI the RCA chat options aren't that great anyways. lightyears away from imessage. I don't really want people to see me typing... or be able to know when I've opened their messages. on top of all of this, it drains battery...

@geopublic is there something on pm that says this? cause when I was with virgin it did not work and when I switched to pm it gave me the option. 

I'm not on a hacked version or beta. I'm a stock google pixel

BearFBI

@geopublic I just realized something. Google RCS says if you aren't offerd chat features by your carrier you can still enable it through Jibe mobile. Its just RCS but through googles servers. Btw my friend was on Public. Its kinda useless for carriers to support it if Google can do it. Endless you get RCS for free like MMS.

@BearFBI wrote:

@geopublic I got google messages right off the play store. I remember on my friends phone before he never had the RCS option. When he inserted his PM SIM it showed up right away. 

@BearFBI  Does he use Telus or Public Mobile? If he uses Telus, then that's why.

BearFBI

@geopublic  I got google messages right off the play store. I remember on my friends phone before he never had the RCS option. When he inserted his PM SIM it showed up right away. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile does not support RCS on any phones. If you are currently running RCS on Public Mobile network  it's because you are running a beta or hacked version of messages that uses Google's servers to handle it.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI RCS is already working on my pixel 4. found this out when I first joined PM

BearFBI

@Staliger Who knows. I Think it's apart of the TELUS network. All they have to do it sign something with samsung to allow it to work on the TELUS network in Samsung Messages. We got RCS when it came out on google messages for Telus. It might be the same. 

And @RossN Telus has it for Google messages. If i put another SIM card in that dosent support RCS then the option is blank. So it seems like we have RCS but not on every messaging app. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Public runs on Telus' network and unfortunately Telus doesn't have RCS service. They've said its "in the works" but no estimate on when it would be released.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI Probable will be, but not in this year or closest 2 I guess. 

Need Help? Let's chat.