cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS is supporting Apple Watch Series 3 on Dec 1st

warpdrive
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So TELUS is offering Series 3 cellular support on Dec 1st..... 

Was wondering if a Mod could let us know if there is a chance PM will offer support at some point, or is it not something to hold our breath on. The reason I’m asking is I have a friend who just bought a series 3 and wants to switch carriers. She is with Rogers at the moment, whom I believe currently have no plans to support it soon... possibly later? 

Shes off contract and is looking at BELL, (whom she can get service with right away), and now TELUS. Of course the PM prices are better for data/calling, so it would be handy if a mod could shed some light on the topic. Would be nice to know one way or the other as I have a series 3 as well. 

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@deketele wrote:

Recent press has the watch surging in polularity so its perplexing why “Canada’s largest network” wouldn’t provide service.  Charge a premium price for it, but make it available.  Soon.

@warpdrive wrote:

Canada’s largest network does support it, its TELUS. Not sure why their sub brands of Koodo and PM don’t support it though as they are all really one company using the same network.... Same with the other big 2. Rogers and bell support it, but none of their sub brands do.... 

@deketele as @warpdrive noted, all the big 3 brands do this:  the top tier brands support the latest features like eSIM, while their 2nd and 3rd teir brands take much much longer to introduce these featuers, if ever.  [In the case of eSIM, they may eventually be forced to if phones start coming as eSIM-only models, but until then it's anyon'e sguess as to if and when.]

They do this for market diferentiation and to try to entice people to their higher-cost and higher-profit-margin 1st tier brand.  This is not unique to the Canadian mobile market, you can see it in lots of things.  For example, luxury car brands like Acura, Lexus, Lincoln, Infinity, Cadillac will introduce new tech and features (cooled seats, extra safety equipment, fancier infotainment systems, etc) that eventually trickle down to their "regular Joe" branded vehicles (Honda, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chevy, respectively).  PC brands will introduce things in their highest-end models and then slowly those features trickle down into their midrange and entry level units.  And so on and so on.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

warpdrive

Canada’s largest network does support it, its TELUS. Not sure why their sub brands of Koodo and PM don’t support it though as they are all really one company using the same network.... Same with the other big 2. Rogers and bell support it, but none of their sub brands do.... 

Im happy I switched to TELUS when I did.... moved onto the series 4 last fall.... series 5 this coming fall. Moved on from the 10gb/$60 to the 15gb/$70 with free vvm, which I was previously paying $10/month for. Overall.... couldn’t be happier!!

deketele
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is very dissapointing.    I don’t like carrying a phone around (which these days have gotten quite large) so I’ve seriously considered getting the cellular version of the Apple watch.  I just joined PM about a week ago, so it was obviously foolish of me not to have considered this aspect of PM’s offerings.  My wife had been waiting to see how my service performs before also making the jump to PM.  We happened to be discussing the Apple watch today when it suddenly occured to me to check whether PM provides service for the watch.  After reading PM’s response, not only has she decided against switching carriers, I also am pondering whether to switch back to Bell and when.  Recent press has the watch surging in polularity so its perplexing why “Canada’s largest network” wouldn’t provide service.  Charge a premium price for it, but make it available.  Soon.

warpdrive

I would be nice if Public Mobile did. I just wasn’t willing to hold my breath waiting. When Rogers and Koodo don’t  even support it, I’m thinking it will be a very long wait indeed.... if ever. 😣

sirkdub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the follow up and letting us know. That’s great to hear the Watch is data efficient. Since it is so low data usage, I really hope PM will realize there is a good opportunity to charge for this addon with minimal cost to them. 

warpdrive

Just thought Id let you know that after a month of use I only used about 100mb on the watch plan, and I used it quite a bit, so there should be no worries of overages as long as your not streaming from apple music to the watch over cellular. The series 3 has 16GB internal storage, I just loaded playlists in to listen too so no need for streaming. Hope this helps!

warpdrive

Well.... I’ve been playing around with features on it all night while connected to cellular. Turned off Bluetooth on the phone and turned off wifi on the watch, then the cellular auto kicks in. Used about 15mb, so as long as your not streaming from Apple Music... I’d say it would be tough to even use half of the 1gb data in a month. The battery on the watch takes a bit of a hit.... otherwise it’s pretty awesome. 

sirkdub

How data efficient is the Apple Watch on LTE? What’s the mileage for 1gb? I was going to get this Telus deal too but the 1gb held me back. 

warpdrive

PS- I jumped to Telus for the 10gb for $60 deal. I just fired up the apple watch and it works over cellular. The only thing is this, because the 10gb is not sharable the watch can only use the 1gb that comes with the watch plan, which I am fine with. Public Mobile is great, this TELUS deal just works better for me. I still have my wife and daughter on Public Mobile. Just thought Id throw it out there for anybody who is longing for cellular compatibility with the series 3 apple watch.

spetel

What "perks"? It is a service and a device you pay for...

I don't see why not add support for this in the future, as an add-on.

Bell charging 5$ a month for it, I would pay 10$ a month to stay with PM.

I guess its all a question of how popular it becomes and how hard would it be for PM to support it. Might take a while though... but I remain hopeful

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good to know. Thanks.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,

Thank you, for reaching out to us.  I will gladly answer your question.

At the moment Public Mobile has no plans to support the new Apple watch with enablement of its SIM feature. 

However, feel free to visit our community for any future updates.

Respectfully,

Bladimir R.

sirkdub

Let’s hope that PM offers support for Watch eventually. Once it’s a more mainstream product I don’t see why not offer it. 

galaxyunlock

Yet there is no official annoucement for pm for supporint apple devices. There is no information on pm site. But may be christmus time you get some offer.

warpdrive

Yep. I kind of thought this is well, I guess it was a bit of a pipe dream but I had a bit of a wish that maybe there was an inkling of a thought in a dream that we might get it. LOL but now I can just be happy I am saving a lot of cash being with public mobile and chatting with all you awesome people. Have a good night. Peace out!

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can’t see pm ever supporting this. It would make no sense. If you want support you would need to switch to Telus. These are the types of perks you get with big 3. 

warpdrive

Lol. Well.... there it is. Thank for the conformation. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @warpdrive

At the moment Public Mobile has no plans to support the new Apple watch with enablement of its SIM feature. 

However, feel free to visit our community for any future updates.

Thanks,

Syed

Doesnt hurt to ask!. But its still unkown if and when Koodo will get support for the watch, and with PM being third on the Telus brand list it may look cloudy. But who knows, maybe PM will surprise those who have the watch

warpdrive

I’m kind of leaning that way myself..... would be nice to to get a comment from a Mod though to give some closure. Lol

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

I feel like it will only be offered on plans through the big 3. It is an addidtional $5/ month to pair your watch with your phone through Bell on one of their share plans. I have a feeling Telus will follow suit with that with similar pricing and plans. Virgin Mobile (bell) is not supporting the apple watch 3 at the moment. So slim chances that PM will

Need Help? Let's chat.