cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Public

gracekv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have Bell plan now and I am thinking of switching to Public.  I bought the SIM card alrady.  Since I have to do this by myself, when I tranfer the number, is that the time when Bell will be notified.  I'm not very good at these things so your reply would be very much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

@cool_stuff wrote:

Wireless Number Porting or WLNP has streamed line a lot in Canada and now it takes few minutes to few hours depending on where you are coming from and which provider you are going to (Not familier with any SLA clearing house has in CA) but back in the days around 2003, US clearing house didn't had any SLA.

Short answer: Get your account number from existing services provider and don't cancel your services with them otherwies you will end up losing your number which goes back to ageing. 

You would also need your IMEI number when submitting a porting request from publicmobile.ca. which can be obtained *#06# 

Simply login to your account on publicmobile , go to Plan & Add-Ons > Change Phone Number > Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider

Enter correct information and wait for few couple hours. 

Hope it helps...

Nope, for most Canadian providers* the phone number to be ported out, the account number (numeric values only, without spaces, dashes etc) and account holder's name as shown on the bill / statement is all that is needed and recommended. The less information used the smaller the risk of typos etc is, really.

* SpeakOut and PetroCan Mobility are the exception to the rule, they don't have actual account numbers (they use the phone number for account identification, which is not the same as an actual account number) - call their customer service to find all the information necessary for a successful port out!

Some providers like ChatR do have account numbers but you have to call them to get it.

cool_stuff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wireless Number Porting or WLNP has streamed line a lot in Canada and now it takes few minutes to few hours depending on where you are coming from and which provider you are going to (Not familier with any SLA clearing house has in CA) but back in the days around 2003, US clearing house didn't had any SLA.

Short answer: Get your account number from existing services provider and don't cancel your services with them otherwies you will end up losing your number which goes back to ageing. 

You would also need your IMEI number when submitting a porting request from publicmobile.ca. which can be obtained *#06# 

Simply login to your account on publicmobile , go to Plan & Add-Ons > Change Phone Number > Transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider

Enter correct information and wait for few couple hours. 

Hope it helps...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@gracekv wrote:

Hello, I have Bell plan now and I am thinking of switching to Public.  I bought the SIM card alrady.  Since I have to do this by myself, when I tranfer the number, is that the time when Bell will be notified.  I'm not very good at these things so your reply would be very much appreciated.

I know that you have already purchased the SIM card but if you live near one of the Retailers there is a great promo going on right now.  Free sim card, you pay for your first 30 days and Public Mobile will pay your next 30 days.  Then you have a spare sim that you could try to refer a family member or a friend with.  Some retailers are Walmart, The Mobile Shop, WOW Mobile and K-Mobile as well as some authorized Koodo dealers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gracekv wrote:

Welcome to Public Mobile Grace:

When you go through the activation process online (since you have the SIM card already) there will be a step where you can choose to port your Bell number over too.  You can also just use the Public Mobile number temporarily.  Then port over your Bell number a few days later.  This gives you a chance to test everything out.  When the number is ported over, that will automatically cancel it at the other carrier.  

Feel free to post any further questions; everyone here is ready to help out.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@gracekv wrote:

You don't need to call Bell or tell them that you leave...everything will be on public mobile side after your request of porting your number. To port your number you can choose to do it during the activation or after. You can decide to choose a number from public mobile first and when everything is ok with your account you can ask to port your number by yourself in your self serve account or with the moderator. Did you check if your phone is compatible with public mobile? willmyphonework.com...And keep your Bell account active until your port is finished.

@gracekv wrote:

Cancellation of the Bell service will happen automatically happen when the phone number has finished transfering to Public Mobile.  Do not request for Bell to do a cancellation or you will not be able to transfer the phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.