cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Telus to PM

adobochad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi PM, I recently learned about your exicting new deal that I can't wait to take advatnage of! 

However, before I do that I have a couple of questions just to clear up some things!

To preface, I have already bought the SIM card and have verified that it will work on my existing phone.

Secondly, I am coming from Telus and have about 2 months left to pay off on my plan. However, since your deal expires November 20th, I would love to take advantage of this deal before it goes away!

My question is, what would the process be like if I do decide to make the switch? Do I simply port my number, then afterwards get charged the remaining balance on my Telus device + whatever cancellation fees, or will I have to contact them and go through several loop holes to activate the process?

Thanks for your understanding, and I hope to soon be part of PM in the near future!

6 REPLIES 6

adobochad

Thank you everyone for the replies. It has been very helpful!

@daredogg Thanks alot, personal experience in switching is exactly what I was looking for!

I will be making the switch right after my billing date on the 13th, can't wait to be a PM member!

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

@adobochad I had the same experience as you, coming from Telus.

I think everyone here did a good job explaning what may happen, but I'd like to share my specific experience. I ended up cancelling 10 days into my cycle, so I got a credit on my account when I ported over my numbers. I also unlocked both phones, thinking I had to so I could use PM (that's not the case... Telus & Koodo phones work here on PM). That ended up costing me $100 + taxes. In the end, with the credits I had and the unlock charges, my final invoice was $13.

In your case... when you port over your number, that will stop your services with Telus. The specifics of the credits and charges won't show up on your online account, but the balance should be correct. I'd wait to pay anything until your final invoice is generated on your billing date. This invoice will show the breakdown of costs.

I wouldn't call Telus. You know you have 2 months left to pay, there's no use wasting your time. If you port over to PM mid-cycle, you'll get a credit back. I'm sure with those two items, you can get a pretty good idea how much your last invoice will be. There are no cancellation fees, the only charge is your device balance. I'd just initiate the porting process through PM. It'll take less than 10 minutes for your number to port over.

Are you porting over just one phone? In my case, it was two, and we had shared data. I made the mistake of porting over the main number first, essentially leaving the 2nd phone without data. We ended up getting charged the per MB rate for data for the hour or so in between porting.

fboybcb
Welcome to PM!

To answer your question, all you need to do is activate your SIM card through PM and then follow the instructions to port your number and finally you will be led to plan choice and payment. You absolutely do not need to contact Telus for anything because PM will do it for you.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would call or visit a telus store and find out what the charges would be before making the switch just so you don't have any major surprises.

Calculate the cost of of 2 months worth of Public Mobile service compared to the price plan cost of 2 months of Telus Mobility service, and then figure out how much the difference is.

Then, take that price plans savings number and compare it to how much Telus will charge you to buy-out your device.

If the savings from the Public Mobile price plan cost is more than the cost of the device buy-out, port your number now.  If not, I would port your Telus number over only after your contract expires.

In order to ensure the Public Mobile promotional plan is available, you'll need to activate a new line during the promotion.  No customer knows for sure if the promotion will be extended or not.  You can always port your Telus number to Public Mobile at a later time if you wish. 

Unfortunately, if you choose to port your Telus number over at later time, you'll need to pay for service from both Telus and Public for those overlapping months.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can port your number to PM and your Telus contract/plan will be automatically cancelled. Telus will bill you for any cancellation or outstanding fees.

If you prefer, you can call Telus and ask them about what you will need to pay if you switch to a different carrier before your contract is over so that you have the full picture of any possible costs or implications.

Need Help? Let's chat.