cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey or Scam?

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received this email and it looks like a scam. Can one of the mods confirm if this is a real survey? If it is a scam, perhaps there needs to be an announcement.

Public Mobile Survey <publicmobile@cicicresearch.com>

Today at 5:56 PM

To
Message body
12 REPLIES 12

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

Seems like I will be responding from home this weekend, as my office won't let me respond from work, on my lunch break).

Or you could use data and respond from your phone! 😉  I did the full survey from my phone, but on my office's WiFi.  Took maybe 3 minutes.

On another note, it does seem each recipient gets a unique link, as when I click on mine again (this time from a desktop), it says "You have already completed this survey. Thank you for your participation."

Seems like I will be responding from home this weekend, as my office won't let me respond from work, on my lunch break).

CalgaryBen

I just got this survey today, and completed it.

The sense I got was that PM is trying to determine who remembers receiving an SMS about joining Koodo, whether or not I, as a consumer, made the leap, and whether it was an attractive enough offer.  There were also questions (in my case) asking what they could do to make the Koodo offer more attractive/enticing, and also why I chose not to switch.

I still have an SMS from June 21 offering a 1GB plan at Koodo for $35, so I was able to respond to the survey accurately and honestly.  Basically, the Koodo plan was more expensive than the PM plan I'm on without any benefit, since I have no interest in a phone/tab (love the concept of BYOP).

Seems to me Koodo (and PM?) are planning to up the ante when it comes to migration offers.  Honesty, I'd be surprised if they could offer a deal to get me to make the leap!  If PM continues to offer the current plans, I'd be fairly satisfied.  I'm obviously open to better/cheaper as the competition heats up, but don't see any compelling reason to switch anytime soon...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fgjpublicmobile wrote:

I didn't approve you giving/selling my contact into to this marketing company!

@fgjpublicmobile actually, you did.  By purchasing the service you agreed to the terms of service, and this is explicitly mentioned in the terms of service (https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mobile_Terms_of_Service.pdf). 

Specifically, and I quote: (bolding added by me for emphasis)

-----begin quote:

You agree to provide us with your current email address (and to inform us if that email address changes) so we can provide you with tools and services to manage your Public Mobile account, communicate with you about account-related items on a timely basis, provide news and offers from Public Mobile companies and its partners, and seek your views on Public Mobile's products and services. If you have any questions or concerns about PPublic Mobile's privacy practices, you may call 1-800-567-0000 or send an email to privacy@publicmobile.ca.

Why does Public Mobile collect my personal information? We collect your information to:

• Establish and maintain a commercial relationship with you and provide ongoing service;

• Understand your needs and preferences;

• Develop, enhance, market or provide products and services;

• Manage and develop our business and operations;

• Meet legal and regulatory requirements.

------End quote

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

fgjpublicmobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's such bull**bleep**!

Cross domain surveys should not be used from a business perspective.

I didn't approve you giving/selling my contact into to this marketing company!

fgjpublicmobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got one from https://web.cicicresearch.com.

With a big long parameter at the end... Probably unique to me.... it not more nefarious.

I didn't approve spam **bleep** in my mailbox!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nicholas255 skepticism is an excellent default when dealing with anything received via email, to be sure!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Nicholas255
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I never trust surveys sent by email. If you would like me to take part in a survey, please send it through our community forum

I've received two surveys from Public Mobile partners previously, and had no concern it wasn't a real survey.  I do not recall the sending email, nor do I have copies of the invites any longer.

Chaos_Scorpio

I got it once, did it. all PM related questions. nothing asking for personal info. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am very careful with emails that I receive.  I did my usual due dilligence.  There is a firm called CICIC research, 514 area code contact number, email info@cicicresearch.com.  The email I received was from address "publicmobile@cicicresearch.com", check.  The reply to email address was "support@cicicresearch.com", check.  It was addressed to my gmail alias which I have only used to set up my Public Mobile accounts, check.  The question included refererence to Orchard which Public Mobile does partner with, check.  The questions about Public Mobile are consistent with the type of service that is offered, check.  I would say that it is 100% authentic based on the aforementioned sniff tests.  If this turns out to be a scam, I would feel pretty bad and give credit to the scammers for baiting me well.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Can @will13am chime in about this as he/she has done a couple of them?

Need Help? Let's chat.