cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Improvements and Help

Darren_M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Though I'm Posting this - I DO NOT HAVE A PublicMoble Account or #.
I'm Pretty New Here, and I really don't have a Lot of Cell Phone USER Experience....

In My Short Experience with P.M. (Helping my Friend) - I find that I can't communicate from My Computer Back and Forth with them to their Phone.

*I Can Send a Message to their Phone from My Computer
*My Friend Cannot Reply back to my email address.

Does this Require Data?

IE: I have a Friend on BELL Network - which we can Communicate - back and forth

- Me Using a Comptuer and He using his Smartphone to send messages back to my email address....(Using my Email Address instead of Phone # in the Texting Mode)

*On Bell I Send Messages from My Computer to: "1234567890@txt.bell.ca" which the user can simply reply back.
"Seems  currently - there is only 99999's..." -when they get my message on PublicM? and it Can't be Replied to 

Could there be the way the System Set Up -  to Allow More Options for Communication?

Also... I Don't really see a "Help Section" that would eliminate "Repetitious Questions" - Like "How Do I Set up My Voicemail."...?"
The Forum is Great- and I Thanks Everyone Whom has Helped
But wouldn't it be Easier with a "SELF Help" Section" with Instructions?  Maybe a Few Video's?

You could  add information to the Section Such as:

VOICEMAIL
How do I Set Up My Voicemail?
Will I Use My MINUTES when Calling Voicemail?

I'm Wondering also, if this "Community" Forum, is Local Only in N.S. or All Canada?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Google shows many options for "send SMS from computer to phone" or "sync SMS between computer and phone". 

But "send SMS from phone to computer" is more limited. Because you basically need a phone number or a "virtual phone number" service. 

Signal SMS can install on iOS, Android, Windows, and linux - basically all Android phones/devices, iPhones, Macs, and PCs. It supports many added features (like full integration with Contacts and Dialer communications, more symbols, more emote libraries, all open SMS/MMS content extensions, and strong end-to-end encryption) which can each be enabled/disabled in user Settings, but it can't support Apple's FaceTime and iMessage content extensions. 

Whatsapp can also install iOS, Android, Windows, and (some) linux. It supports fewer extended messaging features and has weaker encryption (and now it's owned by Facebook so forget any ideas you might have about user "privacy") but apparently it does support Apple's content extensions. (I dunno because I'm not an iPhone, iMac, iTunes kinda person.) 

An app called MySMS apparently works for this, too, but I honestly know nothing about it. Some other apps might also work but google doesn't seem to have much to say about this. 

When you first install Signal you'll get prompted for a verification number. You can bypass or spoof this number or use a temp number, it's only used to confirm initial unique user "account" signup, the app never uses this number for actual communications or for anything else (these are all routed through internet packets). Whatsapp works much the same way in this regard but many people report it now requires an active phone number registered with a cellular carrier.

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/signal-tutorial-second-phone-number/

(I replaced my default messaging apps with Signal long ago. I also have Whatsapp installed because many other people use it so it's still sometimes needed. I mislike Whatsapp but the bottom line is that communications always require compatibility, broken compatibility is broken communications. ) 

Your other option, of course, is to get yourself some sort of text-capable phone service. Public Mobile offers a variety of low-cost Plans with limited or unlimited Text, they're pretty cheap if you don't want Data.

Email-to-SMS will format the message as a standard GSM-7 SMS, you'll probably lose any special characters and you'll be truncated into 140-character SMS limits - it depends on how ruthlessly the msg.telus.com (or whatever) server translates things - there might not be much actual msg left after the Subject line, lol. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

Alternate is use android messaging app and use message for web. 

@will13am weird, I gave @Darren_M this same suggestion on Friday in a thread titled "Send a Text to P.M. Number - Using Your Computer" in the Getting Started area.  I can still see his replies in his user profile posting history, but can't click the title.  I guess the thread got archived for some reason?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Wholecloud wrote:

Having online chat with a moderator certainly helps

Customer service/support can be one of those things that you might not care about when you don't need it, but when you do, almost everyone probably wants fast responses.

Online chat would be great for activation issues.  However, if everyone chose this option, people could be waiting extending periods of time, eliminating the advantage of real-time chat.  

Wholecloud

Having online chat with a moderator certainly helps

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you email a text to some one, you will need to know what carrier they are on. Don’t know about the app you are referring to. Try these. Not sure if PM will work using the Telus example. 

10digitnumber]@txt.bell.ca (Bell and Solo)

[10digitnumber]@pcs.rogers.com

[10digitnumber]@msg.rogers.com

[10digitnumber]@sms.fido.ca

[10digitnumber]@msg.telus.com

[10digitnumber]@vmobile.ca (Virgin Mobile)

[10digitnumber]@mobiletxt.ca (PC Mobile)

[10digitnumber]@msg.koodomobile.com

[10digitnumber]@sms.sasktel.com and [10digitnumber]@pcs.sasktelmobility.com

[10digitnumber]@text.mts.net (MTS Allstream Inc./ Manitoba TelecomServices)

[10digitnumber]@txt.windmobile.ca

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is possible to send text from email to a phone number.  The "email address" for text is 10_digit_number@msg.telus.com.  Alternate is use android messaging app and use message for web. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Darren_M 

I believe there are still websites where you can open an account and keep sms conversations with most of providers in canada, i remember using it in early 2000s. It was free you would have kinda inbox with ask the threads. i absolutely have no recollection of the names but if i remember or find it n I'll post back

For the questions, you can search through the community and have access to workarounds and tutorials posted in the past, there is lots of good info suggestions and opinions. The forum is divided in sections, is it fine enough? I don't know, but there is search that actually works unlike some other places, so you don't have to scroll through 100s (narrowly grouped, but still 100s). You will notice that most repetitions Are due to people not willing/having patience to search for a solution, but just shooting a question, and that will not change with finer grouping. It also has its benefits cause the issues that are coming up on the surface may have greater Chances of being addressed once and forall with a permanent fix as opposed to perpetual workarounds

Btw did you consider getting 15 plan, it can be less than $13 actually would give you unlimited mms with your friend and virtually the rest of the world, you get unlimited incoming and cute little 250 megs that are more then enough if you are prudent enough ( pair it with textnow and you get anothrt Canadian number with unlimited North America) 

You could get your friend to switch and lower your bill and get your friend more affordable service

Just a thought

Edit 

Here are coupe of links to keep conversation textdrop.com freetxt.ca

But what do you know, textNow has a desktop applicaton so you can get Canadian number to text and call North America for free

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Darren_M  this might help for your common questions https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles

Darren_M

thanks, You can understand that people might have a 100 Questions..
Like Also:
How Do Points Work - Yes I know by Ansering Question and Helping the Community...
Do you get so many Badges or Bravo's or Accepted Solutions for Points?  
How are Points Applied and - How are Points Redeemed and How Many do you need ?

I seen another post about Checking Your Account for Rewards, 
Since I don' thave an Account I guess I might be Missing some stuff.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Darren_MI don't think the end user has the ability to change the origin phone number from 999 999 9999 to something else.

You can post your own tutorial if you wish.

Also this forum is open to the world, not just Canada. In fact this forum is hosted from a site in the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.