cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SMS from 947-422

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A friend of mine recently signed up with PM and has started to receive SMS from 947-422 (just the 6 numbers). They ported their number over, so it's not like it's a recycled number that PM gave her. 

The message says "It's here! " or "Incoming! " followed by a rather long message in Chinese or Mandarin, which neither of us can read.

So, is this a PM message or some other spam that just happened to coincide with her signing up?

18 REPLIES 18

Tabby1982
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wish is a shopping app. You purchase items at cheap, ie: $4.00 for a $80.00 item. The items take forever to get to you as they are from China. hense why the messages are in Chineese. 😉

smp99

@Tabby1982 wrote:

I was recieving these aswell. These messages are from Wish. They send a text from that number when your package has shipped. You should ask your friend if she has ordered something from wish. 😉

Bingo !

That was it. I ask her and she said yes, I don't even know what Wish is. 

Too bad I have already picked a solution for this thread/question.

Thanks.

Tabby1982
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was recieving these aswell. These messages are from Wish. They send a text from that number when your package has shipped. You should ask your friend if she has ordered something from wish. 😉

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning everyone,

I just want to remind everyone that the community is a place to get and give help  - therefor I will have to ask everyone to maintain the same level of respect as we expect. 

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

smp99

Ya - I'm not sure what's going on - remember this is a friend and I am just getting screen shots from her trying to help out. I may not have the whole story. 

I will monitor for now and try to ask more questions

Thanks

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@smp99, wow, that’s strange. It looks like there’s been reply texting to this number (‘phone number updated’ part at the top), so was this a known number?

I saw the strange Chinese character thing happen last year to two family members on SpeakOut. Halfway through a normal texting exchange, the texts turned into garble, then a few texts later, continued on in English as if nothing had happened, and it never happened again. 

From what we researched, every now and then the SMS filters that send the texts glitch as they are ‘rebuilding’ the sent SMS at the receiving port, with the same result as what you’re seeing.

ohitora
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Furthermore I have been getting - nothing to worry about SMS from --YES - surprise ---- Public Mobile that show from. "513-2" "611" "100". Do you still think I'm full of crap?

@will13am wrote:

@ohitora wrote:

I wouldn’t worry. Had the same experience when I first signed up.  These “strange” SMS may be your phone communicating and setting up  with apple . 

@ohitora, stop the passive aggressive thread crapping.  You know full well that Apple does not send out spam messages to their customers in Chinese as part of setting up their iPhone.  If you wish to participate in the support, do so in a helpful way otherwise expect enforcement on your account. 

smp99

Image-1-1.jpg

ohitora

Can you cut and paste this perhaps cryptic message so we can peruse it. Why not try Google translate?

@smp99 wrote:

A friend of mine recently signed up with PM and has started to receive SMS from 947-422 (just the 6 numbers). They ported their number over, so it's not like it's a recycled number that PM gave her. 

The message says "It's here! " or "Incoming! " followed by a rather long message in Chinese or Mandarin, which neither of us can read.

So, is this a PM message or some other spam that just happened to coincide with her signing up?

ohitora

@will13am wrote:

@ohitora wrote:

I wouldn’t worry. Had the same experience when I first signed up.  These “strange” SMS may be your phone communicating and setting up  with apple . 

@ohitora, stop the passive aggressive thread crapping.  You know full well that Apple does not send out spam messages to their customers in Chinese as part of setting up their iPhone.  If you wish to participate in the support, do so in a helpful way otherwise expect enforcement on your account.

Calm down and read my efforts to help - will cut and paste my follow up response -Initially this is normal if one is setting up an iPhone. If they persist for more then a couple of days then get a moderator involved. 

ohitora

@will13am wrote:

@ohitora wrote:

But.. But. Why the aggression?  That's exactly what happened to my account when I first signed up and the moderators explained to me what I related in my post --- Strongly suggest that youplease  seek the advise of a moderator.

@ohitora wrote:

ohitora

Initially this is normal if one is setting up an iPhone. If they persist for more then a couple of days then get a moderator involved. 

ohitora

Usually you will get a few of thes strange SMS and then they will stop. They are not spam or anything to worry about. It’s just the iPhone communicating with Apple setting up iCloud .  

ohitora

smp99

Ya - I will just get her to block the number

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Spam SMS seems rare compared to robo calls.  The SMS app should have a block feature to block future messages from this number. 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @smp99!

I have never never heard of this kind of spammy sms in my years with PM.

It must be a coincidence that they started coming now to your friend's phone.

Your friend's phone must be on some marketing list

Need Help? Let's chat.