cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SCAM calls from partial number - 177595943

PhoneBTool
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have had several of these so far. Have not been able to find a match doing basic web searches. What is up with fake numbers being allowed to even call. Should be easy for phone providers to block invalid ID data. This one does not block for some reason on my android. Half the time my phone did not even ring for it but I get an incomplete voicemail (this was before trying to even add a block). This scam is trying to trick about some subscription service that's $299.99 and says push 1 to do this or 2 to do this. No specifics. Definitely nothing I have a business with.

Shows online as

Incoming Call    177595943    BRITISH COLUMBIA

Wish there was a way to block before it even gets to our line - like from the phone company things we know are junk. It has been bad enough the past few months with all the Chinese speaking scam spam calls.

Has anyone else been getting this spam and manage to get info, someone to complain to? Have already tried no-call list complaint and they do not care as they do not even know who to contact or care about. Next up may just be police complaint.

6 REPLIES 6

anniemh2220
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I have a very big list of blocked numbers too.
I always screen my calls if the number that's calling me isn't in my contacts list.
You get warned that the number calling is a possible scam or that they may be trying to sell something?
Is that possible due to software that was already on your phone when you bought it or did you have to download an app?
I think that's pretty cool, that's why I'm curious about it.

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Whenever I get a call that I do not recognize or it shows up as a potential scam or advertisement from West Jet or another company, I add it to my block number list. My phone will not rin next time when that number calls back. My block number list is getting bigger 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhoneBTool: There are no extra charges here if you were to dial back a number that is not accessible to you. It just wouldn't connect.

You would think that if these scammers are going to go through this much trouble, they would at least program a valid number for phone to display.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@PhoneBTool, I get calls from the CRA and duct cleaning all the time.  For a while, I got calls from various third world countries with very expensive long distance calling costs.  I have call blocking on my phone app.  Every spam number is marked and blocked.  Carriers will not block calls.  They can't tell if calls are legit or not.  There's no way they would risk liability blocking potentially legit calls.  

Need Help? Let's chat.