cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spammed Like CRAZY

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey,

The past few days I have been getting spam called like crazy and it's really getting on my nerves. I'm paying for a service and to me that means that I should not have to deal with this.

I'd rather use a service like Fongo or just a free one in general that I KNOW I will be spammed on and not have to pay for it monetarily than pay for a service monetarily only for my information to be sold out or/and have a scammer call me because they randomly found my number.

Screenshot_20191219-133812.jpg

This above is absolutely frigging ridiculous and should not be happening. I cannot call Public Mobile to complain because evidently they do not have a call center and even if I were to contact the mod team they'd likely tell me the same thing as an actual call center would which is to call the Canadian fraud agency to 'report' it and that's not a solution, a solution would be TO STOP IT FROM HAPPENING.

23 REPLIES 23

@Obice  Count yourself lucky you haven't been spammed by the likes of @annmary94  @patriciaJ16  or @deborahF44  or then again unlucky?

Obice

@srlawrenThe sad part is if they were so inclined to scam me they'd probably attach their own string to my strings.

If something suits someone's purpose, they're probably going to do it.

The news anchors tell stories that happen every day from their scripts, so they are just glorified actors.

You pick up a movie or a TV show and it might have some quotes on it by critiques telling you how awesome or sh** the movie or TV show was, and you might agree or disagree.

Hire a lawyer for some legal trouble and you gotta badger them till they get the job done... why? $$$.

"More the merrier" - Public Mobile, luring in customers with slimey deals or Fido offering you $200 to get a $0 phone for 24 months meanwhile one of the cheapest bills is $60 (actually $62.15, so I'm being slightly more generous than them and to even say the word is laughable), and after 4 months you have already paid over $240.

If it suits their purpose (if it works), they're going to do it (because you keep going for it).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Obice wrote:

...your point?

@Obice not to speak for @darlicious, but I think you completely missed the point indeed.  They were saying (with tongue presumably firmly in cheek) that the only way to avoid spam calls would be to cancel not only your mobile service but also your home phone and get yourself some cans and very long segments of string, and distribute amongst your friend and family to stay in touch.  Pretty hard for the spammers & scammers to ring you on that!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Obice  look up......its a bird.......its a plane................nooooooo..........its superman!!!!!

I was being quite literal with the tin cans and string.....do I need to explain this post as well?

Obice

Yeah okay, a landline is a fancy version of 2 cans and a string and cell service is waves in the air that are scrambled and if you go too far out of range or too close you'll lose signal...

...your point?

My problem are these spam calls. Spam calls that neither I nor anyone else here should have to deal with. I'm really starting to sound like a broken record just as you'll start to if you decide to reply to this. Smiley LOL Ain't life swell? Smiley Very Happy

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice 

Tin can meet-----------------------------string----------------------------------meet tin can.

@Obice I stand corrected re: my earlier reply--THIS is by far the best response you have received and could ever hope to receive on this thread.  Bravo, @darlicious, bravo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Obice 

Tin can meet-----------------------------string----------------------------------meet tin can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Obice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

(The other part of making these threads that bothers me greatly is that they request a "solution" and if I don't give one, I know a mod will. My point being is if this thread is given a solution, I wanna make it clear that I did not pick it.)

There's nothing to say you HAVE to select a solution. Some Oracles might select one just to "clean up" the thread. A week or so later you'll get a notification (depending on your settings) to maybe select one. Again you don't HAVE to.

You've put this on notice that you would not want a solution made so I would say you're good.

I have to disagree. I'm emailed here and there whenever I make a thread and Public Mobile will ask me to pick a "solution" and whenever I don't do that, a mod does.

Those notifications are configurable in your settings.

I really doubt that mods are monitoring threads and selecting solutions. Oracles are known to ..but mods..?? Or extremely rarely. Maybe other regulars can say who selected their post as the solution other than of course the OP or Oracles. Maybe my posts have been so poor that I never get a mod selecting my posts as a solution.

But if you start a thread and ask a question and someone gives you a satisfactory answer...what's your problem with selecting the solution that it ends up that an Oracle selects it for you?

It's also a bit of a way to "close" the thread.

I have no problem at all selecting a solution to a problem if it is in fact a solution and not a workaround. Each and every person here have provided workarounds because no one here can solve the problem and I know they can't, as I said before, I mainly made this post as a means to spread awareness and to vent.

The only ones that can solve it are the ones allowing it to happen so why would they solve it?

Scammers and spammers will continue to do what they've always done...scam and spam. We all just have to be vigilant. lol even those that are supposedly all tech-savvy and up on these things. I get a kick of those stories being made public. Like those people are some kind of exalted great ones. Gimme a break. We're all the same humans.

During this discussion someone mentioned the government making the providers do something as of now. So we'll see how effective it will be. But...see first sentence.

Obice

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

(The other part of making these threads that bothers me greatly is that they request a "solution" and if I don't give one, I know a mod will. My point being is if this thread is given a solution, I wanna make it clear that I did not pick it.)

There's nothing to say you HAVE to select a solution. Some Oracles might select one just to "clean up" the thread. A week or so later you'll get a notification (depending on your settings) to maybe select one. Again you don't HAVE to.

You've put this on notice that you would not want a solution made so I would say you're good.

I have to disagree. I'm emailed here and there whenever I make a thread and Public Mobile will ask me to pick a "solution" and whenever I don't do that, a mod does.

I really doubt that mods are monitoring threads and selecting solutions. Oracles are known to ..but mods..?? Or extremely rarely. Maybe other regulars can say who selected their post as the solution other than of course the OP or Oracles. Maybe my posts have been so poor that I never get a mod selecting my posts as a solution.

But if you start a thread and ask a question and someone gives you a satisfactory answer...what's your problem with selecting the solution that it ends up that an Oracle selects it for you?

I have no problem at all selecting a solution to a problem if it is in fact a solution and not a workaround. Each and every person here have provided workarounds because no one here can solve the problem and I know they can't, as I said before, I mainly made this post as a means to spread awareness and to vent.

The only ones that can solve it are the ones allowing it to happen so why would they solve it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Obice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Obice

@Anonymous wrote:

@Obice wrote:

To me, this is akin to a phone telling you it has updates and you are given "yes" or "no" and if you say "no" the updates will eventually be downloaded to your phone any way against your consent and your phone will also pop up with a message requesting that you actually install said updates. Your "phone" can't possibly be "yours" if you don't have actual control over it. Smiley LOL Sure, you might want your phone to be "up-to-date" but that is supposed to be on your own accord and not forced.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Obice wrote:

YVR

@Obice wrote:

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

My intent by posting this wasn't me looking for a solution because I know no one can solve this other than the telecom companies or government and neither will.

My intent by posting this is more about aware and venting a current, major, massive stupid problem which is you as a paying customer are paying for a service and should not be subjected to spammed calling and because of how things are run around here (the telecommunications industry/government) we essentially pay to be harrassed and the telecom companies won't do anything about it.

If you disagree, so be it, all I can say is convince me that my thinking is wrong.

Blocking calls, reporting spam calls to some agency or/and changing my number... These are not solutions, they are workarounds and as far as the latter goes I'm not doing that because it is simply a waste of time when in 6 months to a year I'll be redialed upon any way. I won't bother getting into the rest of the suggestions.

@Obice   

The government has gotten involved with helping with this just a little.  

Check out this article from yesterday Dec 19 2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5401057 

It's a small step. Scammers are going to keep finding ways around.  

It's actually a problem happening on all carriers. Even if you change providers, it is not going to help. You can change your number, it may help, but even that is not certain.

Obice

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

My intent by posting this wasn't me looking for a solution because I know no one can solve this other than the telecom companies or government and neither will.

My intent by posting this is more about aware and venting a current, major, massive stupid problem which is you as a paying customer are paying for a service and should not be subjected to spammed calling and because of how things are run around here (the telecommunications industry/government) we essentially pay to be harrassed and the telecom companies won't do anything about it.

If you disagree, so be it, all I can say is convince me that my thinking is wrong.

Blocking calls, reporting spam calls to some agency or/and changing my number... These are not solutions, they are workarounds and as far as the latter goes I'm not doing that because it is simply a waste of time when in 6 months to a year I'll be redialed upon any way. I won't bother getting into the rest of the suggestions.

srlawren

@hairbag1 wrote:

There's not much that PM can do even if you were able to call customer support. You've been given some valid suggestions on how to change your number. Make sure that if you don't recognize who's calling...don't answer. Once they know your number is active...they'll keep at you. I know it's tres frustrating but it's nothing that Public Mobile can affect.

Hang in there...Merry Christmas.

@Obice this is the best response you've gotten on this thread by far.  Changing your phone number might bring you temporary relief, until the next batch of robodialers targets the block of numbers containing your new phone number.  There's really nothing you can do but ignore calls you don't recognize.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

This above is absolutely frigging ridiculous and should not be happening. I cannot call Public Mobile to complain because evidently they do not have a call center and even if I were to contact the mod team they'd likely tell me the same thing as an actual call center would which is to call the Canadian fraud agency to 'report' it and that's not a solution, a solution would be TO STOP IT FROM HAPPENING.

There's not much that PM can do even if you were able to call customer support. You've been given some valid suggestions on how to change your number. Make sure that if you don't recognize who's calling...don't answer. Once they know your number is active...they'll keep at you. I know it's tres frustrating but it's nothing that Public Mobile can affect.

Hang in there...Merry Christmas.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

You can try changing the number

Its free once every 30 days, go to selfserve, click on plan&addons, then click change member

I don't think it's pm fault, i have s number with them that never gets spammed, but the previous one would get 2-4 calls around noon. When i started getting them around 11pm is when i decided to change it. Nothing since then, absolute zlitch for almost 2 months.

It could be previous user filling in on every form

But it could be just luck

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Lar

@Obice  I get lots of spam calls to.  Have you blocked them on your phone? Have  you used  https://www.canada411.ca/search/reverse.html

to see what comes up?  Some I could not trace, one I did and called them back online so I could  not be traced.  Turned out someone was spoofing his number. If I can't trace them then I report them to https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en/Consumer/File-a-complaint/#!/ 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Obice 

Hopefully this is a temporary problem. A spam caller may be spoofing your number and then those who were called are callng your number back.

If you have an Andoid phone, you can likely block calls from anyone not already on your contact list. Or you can install one of those apps to handle spam calls.

If you are not attached to your number, you can request a number change from your self-serve account. You are allowed to change your number once every 30 days.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I received spam almost every day, not sure if this is related to public mobile.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

Need Help? Let's chat.