cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Spam Calls every hour from same area code, different number

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-****, 705-302-****, 705-566-****, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

Help would be appreciated. Public Mobile really should allow some kind of option for this....

Mayor / Maire

Re: Spam Calls every hour from same area code, different number

Register your number on the (Canada) National Do Not Call List and the (USA) National Do Not Call Registry to prevent compliant spammers (or their clients) from calling.  It doesn't work for everyone, and it doesn't stop non-compliant spammers but it's better than doing nothing.

And of course I immediately block the number.  If they keep calling with alternate numbers then I keep blocking those.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@EM wrote:

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-1671, 705-302-5463, 705-566-0341, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

Help would be appreciated. Public Mobile really should allow some kind of option for this....

You can disable your voicemail.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

Phone ringer off or on vibrate only might help too along with call blocking:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-display-and-call-blocking

And if you're not too attached to your phone number, you can request a number change via Self-serve

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-your-phone-number

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@EM wrote:

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-1671, 705-302-5463, 705-566-0341, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

Are the spam calls just started?

Did you got your number from PM when you activate your PM account?

You can change your number once per 30 days online.

Select [Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Select a new phone number]

Highlighted

Hi,

So my number has been on the Do Not Call list for 3 years now. I also use it a lot in lots of different places, so I prefer not to change in. I also need to use my voicemail....Not really sure what to do. 

I think I might have to disable my voicemail if Public Mobile doesn't have any other screening options.... It's really unfortunate. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@EM wrote:

Hi,

So my number has been on the Do Not Call list for 3 years now. I also use it a lot in lots of different places, so I prefer not to change in. I also need to use my voicemail....Not really sure what to do. 

I think I might have to disable my voicemail if Public Mobile doesn't have any other screening options.... It's really unfortunate. 

Spammers are nefarious for sure. Try following previous suggestion and disable voice mail for a couple of weeks. Maybe by then the calls will subside.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Oracle

@EM You may be able to find an app/workaround; for example

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

We also have these to look forward to. Coming soon...

CRTC orders telecoms to block customers’ incoming nuisance calls by December 2019

The CRTC is cracking down on pesky fake phone number calls

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/19/crtc-telecoms-block-customer-spam-calls-by-dec-2019/

Here's another one I like. It only works with Google Pixel phones for now.

But coming soon to an Android phone near you...
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/14/google-call-screen-beta-test-canada/

Highlighted

Thank you so much for all the helpful solutions. I heard about the Call Screening by Google, and I'm just waiting for them allow non-Pixel users to enjoy it. This is the best solution I can think of. 

For the time being, I'm thinking about disabling my VM for a few weeks, and hoping it eventually stops. The Truecaller app at least allows me to silence or send the spammer directly to VM. I lodged a complaint with the CRTC about it. However, the new rules are only going to allow blocking of unusual numbers. The numbers I'm getting seem legit.

I think the best way to deal with it is for PM to please create a screening ability. For example, a user can screen all calls from a specific area code, and have them dropped. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

The do not call list takes 30 days to go into effect. If you disable your voicemail leave a msgvtelling callers its a temporary  measure...you could aprise them of the situation.  Then once a month passes hopefully most of the spam calls will have subsided.