cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So who is leaving?

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wonder how many people will make the switch to Koodo now.

I am staying with PM for this round. Lets see what happens...

Either we will feel sorry for them who moved or they will feel sorry for us who have stayed!

74 REPLIES 74

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@matbasmwrote:

So am I.   If several of the oracles and ex oracles, and other high level contributers leave, PM might need to hire even more mods to handle the support issues.  Probably not what they intended. 

It is sad, but when oracles are leaving, then there is something in the air - they are our equivalent to the cannary in the mine.

@@@srlawren wrote:

Just waiting for my SIM to ship.  Ordered today, couldn't pass up the 6GB version.  I guess everyone has a price!!!

I'll be leaving as well.  I placed my order earlier tonight.  I don't like that fact that I'm going from prepaid to postpaid, but the Canada-wide calling and the approx. extra 2GB per month is nice even though I'll be paying slightly more.

I don't even want a phone from Koodo but I ended up taking the LG Q6 because it offers a $100 prepaid Visa card when ordering online.  If I decide not to keep it, I'm sure I can just sell it.

The $100 referal credits make the switch even more tempting.

One of the other things influencing my decision to switch is the lack of fixes for the self-serve, activation, and long distance bugs.  In that sense, it's seems like Public Mobile never really left the beta stage, while I will admit that I never ran into any of these things and Public Mobile did end being of excellent value to me.

I wonder how many mayors and oracles will be making the trip to Koodo.  But one thing's for sure - the make up of active members and the community rewards will be up for grabs with a whole bunch of people switching.

Update: changed mind and decided to stay with Public Mobile after all

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So am I.   If several of the oracles and ex oracles, and other high level contributers leave, PM might need to hire even more mods to handle the support issues.  Probably not what they intended. 

I am sad to see some people go Smiley Sad

ute1978

@Civic_Ewrote:

I am staying with PM for this round.

Me..... TOO

I am sticking around.

ScrapIron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think I'm considering it not because of the data but in terms of my own situtation. I barely even use my 12GB and I have minimal rewards. I think the $100 credit + $25 referral will go a long way in terms of similar value (since I am at the end of my 3 months). I'm not too concerned about prepaid vs post paid since I rather prefer to pay monthly instead of three months at time. I feel like I have more control if I wanted to leave while I need to wait 3 months if i wanted to max my value with PM. 

My only concern here is that Koodo will jack up the price at some point, they probably learned their lesson this time around not to make those claims about not raising their prices. The other concern is what will happen to PM if I stay - will they eventually jack up the price now that there is less people to fight back? I assume a lot of people would have moved so there are fewer people to complain now if they don't follow their promises.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kjmckenzwrote:

There's literally no downside now EXCEPT that it's postpaid... But not having a contract/tab kind of offsets that a bit... 

@kjmckenz here's my thought on the post-paid:  I don't really think it's a big deal.  Here's why:

1) As you mention, no contract is required unless you want to get on a tab, which is totally optional.  (And even then, you can cancel at any time and just pay off the remaining device balance without any extra fees or penalties, which I think is totally fair).

2) If you're worried about data overages, the "shock free" data at Koodo should help to minimize that

3) If you're worried about unexpected roaming, just set your network selection from auto to manaul and lock it onto the Koodo network.  If you're extra paranoid, also turn off your data while roaming setting.

4) If you're worried about unexpected long distance bills, well, the base plan is Canada-wide, but just be conscious of dialing numbers outside of Canada.  If you like, you could use a data-based service like Hangouts Dialer or Fongo to dial US numbers for free, using some of that nice extra data you're getting every month out of the migration.  For calls overseas, you can always use a calling card with a local access number somewhere in Canada to get better rates than whatever Koodo charges for them, or call your contacts overseas using WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Allo, Duo, Skype, etc for free over data over WiFi.

EDIT: with the above mitigation strategies considered, really there are two remaining areas of concern:

A) Credit check upon activation.  If you don't qualify, then you may be out of luck.  Otherwise, it's a 1-time small blip to your credit score during the check, and it's over with.

B) Possibility of billing errors leading to unxepcted billings.  For these, you'd have to dial in and deal with customer service to try to rectify.  However, PM isn't impervious to billing issues either, looking around the community.

Note this discussion isn't a full comparison of the pros and cons of PM vs. Koodo, but more just looking at why I don't think the post-paid aspect of it is a big deal for most people.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kjmckenz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm pretty sure this might be it for me...

- The extra data that I'll have (I normally get close to using up my12 GBs because I stream music when I drive)

- The fact that I don't have enough autopay credit to make much difference in the final monthly cost

- The approx 2 months of not having a bill to pay (provided I stay within limits)

- The ability to use the roaming feature when I travel

- Canada wide calling/text

- The fact that I just bought a new phone outright to use with PM, so I'm not looking for a tab either...

There's literally no downside now EXCEPT that it's postpaid... But not having a contract/tab kind of offsets that a bit... 

SkyShaymin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am still considering the switch but I am more leaning towards Koodo. Actually, Koodo just called me asking if I still am considering switching and for me as someone who only has about $-3/month in rewards the costs change is not all that bad for a gain in actual customer service. Plus that $-3/month will be covered by the $100 credit for a good long while at any rate. I am just worried that Koodo will try to pull the same sh*t with me and rase prices as their terms of service say the same thing about the ability to raise prices. The rep that phoned me said I could grandfather it but who knows...

srlawren

@canucks4life bingo.  nailed the reference!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawrenwrote:

Just waiting for my SIM to ship.  Ordered today, couldn't pass up the 6GB version.  I guess everyone has a price!!!

pakmode

This plan is the iceberg that will sink this Titanic as well. 

srlawren

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah let me know as well have an extra $100 waiting for you Cat Wink

Need Help? Let's chat.