cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So. Many. Spam. Calls.

sserser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In the past week I've received at least 10 calls from spam phone numbers, many of which also end up leaving a voicemail message in Chinese. I've been blocking them through my phone, but I'm sure there's plenty of other numbers that are going to reach me regardless.

I've gotten 4 spam calls today alone! It's SO annoying.

Anyone else experience this problem recently? Is this an issue that can be addressed by Public Mobile?

13 REPLIES 13

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@icewhaler wrote:

You can try adding your number to the do not call list. https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Not sure the spam will stop but it might help cut it down.

I prefer not to add my number to the list because people will just download the list and send specifically to them because since they are on the list, you definitely know they are real humans as you need to manually add your name to the list.

IMO, It's similar to patent law, it only affects it in a national or allied country. It's basically an open idea which can be downloaded and ignored in China where they will replicate it patent law or not.

cletus90255
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

With an Android phone you can send a text to the number the under the menu button can register the number as spam..

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Lists are somewhat irrelevant with off-shore robo-dialers.  You could change your number and that might help for a while, until your new exchange comes up in the next batch of robo-dialing.  It's usually more hassle changing your phone number to get around the problem than it is to ignore the buggers.  I never answer unrecognized numbers unless I am expecting to be contacted from someone or some company who's number I don't yet know.  If it's important, they'll leave you a voicemail or contact you another way (text, email, etc).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BananaBean

I have gotten those exact calls within the last month, as well as someone pretending to be from the CRA. I registered my number to the national do not call list: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

I registered a few months ago, but these numbers calling aren’t telemarketers, rather they are “spam”, so being on the DNC list won’t be of much use in this scenario. However, if you don’t like receiving calls from telemarketers in general, it might be something you would want to consider. 

As far as I know there isn’t anything Public mobile or any other carrier would be able to do other than block the number which you have already done. 

@sserser wrote:

Does changing my number help prevent spam calls from reaching the new number though? 

Also curious to know if anyone has had any experience with registering on the national do not call list... does it work?

I am convinced the national registry is a call registry.  The people who do this are often off shore, don't care about penalties that don't apply to them.  I just keep blocking phone numbers until the calls stop.  It does work.  I get less and less each time I block a number.

sserser

Done and done. Then just gotta cross my fingers and hope it dies down a bit!

icewhaler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can try adding your number to the do not call list. https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Not sure the spam will stop but it might help cut it down.

I signed up my landline to the "do not call" list and it seemed to have lessen the number of spam calls.  Still will get the CRA calls once a while, as well as the Chinese ones too.....  

popping

@sserser wrote:

In the past week I've received at least 10 calls from spam phone numbers, many of which also end up leaving a voicemail message in Chinese. I've been blocking them through my phone, but I'm sure there's plenty of other numbers that are going to reach me regardless.

I've gotten 4 spam calls today alone! It's SO annoying.

Anyone else experience this problem recently? Is this an issue that can be addressed by Public Mobile?

You can change your phone number and hoping the next number is not on any telemarketing list.

Login to your self serve account and select 

[Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Change Phone Number]

mimmo

your number must have gotten on some list. there is no guarantee that a new number will not get the calls either. 

not sure about the do not call list.  but i really doublt it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sserser wrote:

Does changing my number help prevent spam calls from reaching the new number though? 

Also curious to know if anyone has had any experience with registering on the national do not call list... does it work?

When I get a human telemarketing I tell them to remove me from their calling list. Over time it is my belief that it works. Sucks to just get stupid recordings.

sserser

mimmo

Nothing that public can do.  the only thing you can really do is chnage your number.

Need Help? Let's chat.