cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowbird Plan

capearc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know if a 2-4 month Snowbird Plan is being considered? Is there some reason such a plan is not available? We need a Public Mobile plan similiar to Roam Mobility so we don't have to keep track of more than one service provider. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bertie wrote:

Would be nice even if PM can modify their website to add multiple 10-day roaming units.  Currently users can select only 1 qty for US Roaming talk, text, talk-text, and talk-text-250data add-ons.  Ability to choose multiple quantities means users don't need to top-up add-ons every 10 days, also results in uninterrupted services between top-ups

@Bertie yes, we have been asking for selectable start date (which is what would be needed to make your request happen) since the US Roaming add-ons were introduced in...I believe it was November 2016.  Unfortunately, there's no sign of this coming any time soon.  Please plan accordingly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bertie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Would be nice even if PM can modify their website to add multiple 10-day roaming units.  Currently users can select only 1 qty for US Roaming talk, text, talk-text, and talk-text-250data add-ons.  Ability to choose multiple quantities means users don't need to top-up add-ons every 10 days, also results in uninterrupted services between top-ups

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, I keep thinking about doing exactly this or similar with VoIP.ms.  The issue I have is I can't get the SMS/MMS clients for these services to display in colours/fonts/text sizes I can easily see.

I wonder if the SugarMobile app is still kicking around?  Always looking out for SMS client software that can do these things as most of my friends prefer to message me, rather than call.

@stonechucker yeah VoIP.ms is probably a more robust provider than Fongo for full-time use I would think, though I've never tried it. It would be nice if all app providers allowed for proper visual tweaking for people with different needs!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, I keep thinking about doing exactly this or similar with VoIP.ms.  The issue I have is I can't get the SMS/MMS clients for these services to display in colours/fonts/text sizes I can easily see.

I wonder if the SugarMobile app is still kicking around?  Always looking out for SMS client software that can do these things as most of my friends prefer to message me, rather than call.

srlawren

@capearc you may want to look at a VoIP provider that offers SMS, like Fongo.  [Fongo charges I think around $3 a month to be able to text mind you, but not bad.].  Then you could port your main number into your Fongo account.  The downside is it would close your PM account and you'd have to get a new services for use in Canada.  But the good news is that you could go data-only plan on either side of the border (or get a plan that includes talk and/or text as well as data but ignore those services).  Then you can move back and forth between your Canadian SIM when in Canada or your US/RM SIM when in the USA and have continuity of service with your primary phone number through the VoIP provider.

srlawren

@Sher39 Bell and Telus share network towers so you should be getting for all intents and purposes identical coverage using the same phone on PM vs. on Bell.  

@Sher39, if you're porting your number in from Bell, that first call *may* have gone to your old Bell service, as the porting process may not yet have been completed.

However, it seems by ringing on the second attempt, your port is now complete 🙂  Welcome to Public Mobile!

Sher39

I just switched from Bell to Public mobile this morning. The first time I made a call to my phone, the phone didn’t even ring and went straight to voicemail. Second time I called, then it went through. Sometimes doesn’t work in the basement. 

Public Mobile is basically Telus' version of Lucky and ChatR.  Get people in, and get them onto middle or top tier pricing because they like the service.

Public Mobile is the best of the 3, not only my opinion, but many others, in that it's a no-zone network, Nation-wide, and offers LTE services - both full and throttled.  The other mainly off zone-only coverage.

Coverage is superior to Rogers and Freedom - however, Freedom seems to have the better transit services underground, and Bell is the same coverage as it's a shared network with Telus.

In all cases, no one network or carrier is everyone's best option.  Right now, Public Mobile works for my wallet, and my coverage, and my personal requirements.

capearc

I use data and texting, rarely make or receive phone calls. Looks like I'll have to continue using Roam Mobility. If Public Mobile had a snowbird plan at a competative cost many people would buy it, RV travellers, snowbirds, business people etc. There must be some business reason preventing Public Mobile having such a plan, maybe Telus doesn't approve.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@capearc wrote:

Does anyone know if a 2-4 month Snowbird Plan is being considered? Is there some reason such a plan is not available? We need a Public Mobile plan similiar to Roam Mobility so we don't have to keep track of more than one service provider. Thanks.

Not that we know of. Freedom use to have a good $15/month USA add on but even that's gone now. A second sim card maybe your best best (sadly). Or a magic jack jith Canadian number and forward your calls from cell to magic jack

Need Help? Let's chat.