cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth Activation Process

mike_m
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would just like to say a quick Hello to the PM Community and my experience signing up for Public Mobile.

After educating myself through the Public Mobile Community discussion and Knowledge Base forums I decided to take the plunge and sign up for Public Mobile. I submitted my request for a SIM card on November 10th and it arrived in my mailbox on November 13th. On November 16 I created a Self Serve Account and selected the Plan and new phone # that I wanted. (I want to try PM for a while before porting my old # over from my old carrier). After making payment I received an activation email, click on the link and voila signed up and ready to go in about 5 minutes.

Changed the settings on my iphone5 to accept data from PM and after toggling Plane Mode off and on a few times it worked immediately.

I would like to thank all the PM Community for all the posts and helpful advice listed on the Boards. I feel if newcomers like myself read the boards carefully before signing up then the signup and billing process would go as smooth as my experience did.

So far I am happy with the service I have received from PM.

Thanks to All.

9 REPLIES 9

Glad to hear you are happy with PM. 

Thank you for sharing.

mike_m
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@AndroidDav3

I will not be porting my number to PM until mid January if all goes well, I also am with Bell. But I believe that mid January is ample time to see if the service at PM is stable and the issues with latency with Self Serve have been rectified.

I personally feel that 10 days is not enough of a time frame for me to assess the value of service that I am receiving from PM, it would be unfair to me and to PM if I tried to make a decision in a hasty 10 days.

Also I purchased a Payment Voucher for my initial payment to Public Mobile, I would not be too hasty to sign up for AutoPay, sometimes trying to cancel pre-authorized payments can be a lesson in frustration.

Bigmac
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for sharing and Welcome to PM. You are right, if new comers can go through some posts first before they deal with activation, that would be easier and less trouble. Thanks again. 

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @mike_m,

Thanks for sharing your eperience,

I'm happy to welcome you to PM!

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello and welcome @mike_m!

I hope that new community members take note of your observations before they jump in with activation and porting. I had a very similar experience to yours (though I jumped in and ported my number at the same time) a few weeks ago (all went well). However, I took my time while waiting for the SIM card (about 3 days) to read through the posts (especially the knowledge base articles) and make a plan for how I would proceed. Folks need to remember this is a BETA company - and as such, patience and a willingness to troubleshoot and research on your own is crucial. If you don't have the time or patience (or if being without a phone for a couple of days would cause significant hardship), then it's a good idea to hold off until you do.

Hope you have a wonderful experience with PM and the online community! Smiley Very Happy

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@mike_m

I'm happy to hear about your recent experience with us!

Welcome to Public Mobile!

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would advise both of you to wait before you port numbers.  When you see the self-serve working normally, then go ahead.  Porting has not really been an issue for majority of people including myself.. its just that the self-serve is exceptionally slow and getting upgraded.

AndroidDav3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So Far So good. 

Did you Port your old# to PM yet or still trying it out?  Reason I ask is I am waiting to porth my phone# from Bell and then change rate plan to 90-day, but from what I've read in the community there may be issues with that due to PM being in the middle of major upgrades.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I am very happy to hear about your experience.  This is how simple it should be for all customers.  Hopefully it will be so very soon.  

Welcome to Public Mobile!  

Need Help? Let's chat.