cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart watches

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Do you own one ?  What do you like/dislike about it ?

9 REPLIES 9

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

As for the lack of LEDs, I found an app previously for my Nexus 5 (made by LG, without LEDs also) and it worked well for me, showing me icons or specific coloured dots on the screen for notifications.  I'll try to find it so I can update this thread.

@slash407, so I went looking for the app I used to light up dots on my Nexus 5, sadly, it's been unpublished in the Play Store.  It was called NoLEDS.

@stonechucker if you ever run into an alternative that's still being offered, would you mind letting me know? (Either here or over Skype is fine too.)  I use the notification LED on my OP5T (and OP3 before it, as well as on many BlackBerry devices back in the day) fequently, but it looks like OnePlus have stopped providing them on recent models so I will be in need of something screen-based for my next phone, I'm sure.

I’d be more than happy to advise you if I can find something like it again.  I’ve grown accustomed to flipping open my wallet case as it opens up my screen, and the notification bar is there immediately when one of my Bluetooth devices is in range with the smart lock settings in place.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slash407 wrote:

ill try to stay optimistic

You first have to become optimistic before you can attempt to stay optimisitic!  😂

@Triguy wrote:

Do you own one ?  What do you like/dislike about it ?

Love my Pebble SE 2.  If I'd known how much I would've loved it, I would've bought all of them that a seller on eBay was selling for $65 (new).  I fear the day that mine stops working.

I only have to charge the watch once a week.  Tons of user-developed watch-faces and apps available.

Someone developed a Google Authenticator app for it, for 2-factor authentication.  So nice that I can press a button and get my 6-digit codes, and not have to launch the app on my phone (or even have my phone with me).  A lot of tools at work use Google Autheticator, so I'd be lost without my Pebble watch...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

As for the lack of LEDs, I found an app previously for my Nexus 5 (made by LG, without LEDs also) and it worked well for me, showing me icons or specific coloured dots on the screen for notifications.  I'll try to find it so I can update this thread.

@slash407, so I went looking for the app I used to light up dots on my Nexus 5, sadly, it's been unpublished in the Play Store.  It was called NoLEDS.

@stonechucker if you ever run into an alternative that's still being offered, would you mind letting me know? (Either here or over Skype is fine too.)  I use the notification LED on my OP5T (and OP3 before it, as well as on many BlackBerry devices back in the day) fequently, but it looks like OnePlus have stopped providing them on recent models so I will be in need of something screen-based for my next phone, I'm sure.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Currently wear a Tciwatch C2. Love the watch. It's great to get discreet notifications when I don't want to disturb a meeting or be rude by looking at my phone. The fitness stuff is all good, but is pretty basic functionality at this point.

Love having Google Pay on my watch and Stocard for loyalty cards. Can run to London Drugs or the grocery or liquor store and don't need to take phone or wallet.

However, none of these watches are the most attractive things in the world. If I have meetings that requrie a suit, I'm not wearing a smartwatch.

@stonechucker wrote:

@slash407, I find the ability to track my steps is better on my watch than on the phone.

The ability to control my music via the watch interface when my phone is in my pocket much easier than reaching for the phone.

If I have Bluetooth or standard headphones attached, the notification on my watch allows me to answer the phone without fishing into my bag for it.

I started cycling last year in the summer, I will be able to track my time and distance on my watch easier than mounting a base for my phone to my bicycle.

I can take my pulse with my smartwatch.  The best part about the smartwatch, it tells me what time it is, easier than fishing out my phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 pointless for you but not for everyone.

For me, it's primarily about the notifications.  I can get them discretely on my wrist without disturbing an office full of people, a trian full of commuters, or my family at home.  

@Triguy Here's a bunch of thoughts I sent someone recently that was asking about my watch:

The watch you saw me wearing is a 3rd generation Fossil Q Explorist, a Wear OS (formerly Android Wear) watch.  I absolutely love this watch! 

Previous to this watch, I briefly had a 1st generation Fossil watch, but returned it within a week.  The first gen had a “flat tire” screen (like most smartwatches back then) and it drove me nuts, plus the whole thing was pretty heavy with the metal strap I’d chosen. 

A little while later I came across a 1st gen Huawei Watch on sale at a US Best Buy for $175 USD and decided to try again.  It was a bit smaller and much lighter as it had a leather strap, and it didn’t have a flat tire.  I quickly fell in love, and wore it daily for quite a while.

Fast forward a bit and I was enjoying the look and slightly bulkier style of the newer Fossil watches when I saw them.  I ended up picking up this one I use now at a Fossil store in Seattle that was moving and had their stuff on sale, I think I paid about the same $175 USD or so.  It came with a rubber band (I also have a leather one I bought after, but mostly use the original rubber).  I love the black-on-black look, it has a better vibration motor than the Huawei (quieter but also can feel it better). 

As for battery life, as you say it’s a bit short.  The Huawei watch charged quite fast.  I could put it on the charger while I was getting ready in the morning and it was 100% by the time I left.  It got me through most single days on a charge, but would be quite low after being off the charger for 14-18 hours.  The Fossil by contrast seems to last a little longer—still only a day, but it usually has a little extra in the tank at the end of the day.  However, it is painfully slow to charge, so I’ve gotten in the habit of putting it on the charger before bed letting it top up over night, and it’s fine by the time I leave home in the morning.

For my usage, it lasts me a full day out, though on the longest days (if I’m out all evening after a day of work), or if I use much Google Maps, it’s going to be pretty low when I get home and take it off.  It meets my needs very well and I’m quite happy with it for now.  Also, it was quite affordable and a great value for the money.

They don’t make my model anymore, but it was replaced by a very similar 4th generation.  The only difference is they added a heart rate tracker, which is missing from the 3rd gen.  https://www.fossil.com/ca/en/products/gen-4-smartwatch-explorist-hr-black-silicone-sku-ftw4018p.html

If battery life is a concern, you may want to look for a watch with the newer Snapdragon 3100 proc.  It has the ability to enter lower power states when idly just showing the time.  There’s only one Fossil with it so far, the Fossil Sport https://www.fossil.com/ca/en/products/fossil-sport-smartwatch-black-silicone-sku-ftw4019p.html, but it doesn’t look as “watchey” and doesn’t interest me personally.  Unfortunately, the only other 3100 watches I know of right now are beautiful but very expensive, namely the updated Louis Vuitton watch https://www.droid-life.com/2018/12/31/louis-vuittons-wear-os-watch-gets-upgraded-with-snapdragon-wea... and Montblanc Summit 2 https://www.montblanc.com/en-ca/discover/specials/summit2.html.  I wish I could justify dropping the dough on one of these, especially the Summit 2.

That said, there are a couple of other “longer” life smartwatches, which when put into time display only mode, can go several days on a charge.  For example, the Cassio WSD-F30 can go 1.5 days in regular mode and up to a month in time-only mode:  https://www.androidcentral.com/casio-wsd-f30-google-wear-os-announced.  There is also the Huawei Watch GT https://www.techradar.com/reviews/huawei-watch-gt-review, and it gets around a month of battery life too, but isn’t running Wear OS so there aren’t a lot of apps for it and such. 

I would be lost without my smart watch.  Getting notifications fairly discretely on my wrist while I’m away from home is great.  I have the Wear OS app set to automatically mute my phone when the watch is paired and on my wrist, so I don’t have to worry about disturbing anyone on the train, at the office, etc by it making sounds or vibrating on the desk.  I can glance at my watch for turn-by-turn Google Maps directions while driving (probably still not great but much better than looking at the phone!).  Those are the main things I use it for, plus the time of course, but 99% it’s all about the notifications. I’m a watch fan in general and have a nice Movado I wore previously and would love to still, but every time I pull it out I realize I’d miss the notifications.  I will find myself drooling over a nice Tag or other regular watch in a store and then realizing all it does it tell the time.   No thanks.  😊

Hopefully at least some of that helps!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@slash407, I find the ability to track my steps is better on my watch than on the phone.

The ability to control my music via the watch interface when my phone is in my pocket much easier than reaching for the phone.

If I have Bluetooth or standard headphones attached, the notification on my watch allows me to answer the phone without fishing into my bag for it.

I started cycling last year in the summer, I will be able to track my time and distance on my watch easier than mounting a base for my phone to my bicycle.

I can take my pulse with my smartwatch.  The best part about the smartwatch, it tells me what time it is, easier than fishing out my phone.

Verizon Wear24.. it's not a popular choice.. certainly not the greatest watch.. but got it for its cheap price tag .. only $60 (as Verizon pulled the plug on this watch on couple months.. ).. almost as good as a Gear.. except without heart monitor and the vibration is very weak..

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy, I have the Ticwatch S, running wearOS 2.0.

I like it.  It tracks my step count, it has GPS built in (antennas in the strap) so it tracks my position (somewhat accurate).  It gives me reminders to be active if I've been sitting too long.

I'm able to silence the phone and let notifications alert me on the watch with a vibration, rather than a sound on the phone.  I can see who is calling me, without picking up my phone.

Google Assistant is a tap or two away, and it responds with information either on the watch face or the cell phone screen.

I've disabled a lot of things the watch can do, as they are battery draining.  I get a whole day of wear and use, but it's on the charger every night  Part of the drain is my always bright watch face, as I have a vision impairment, and dimming it makes it harder to view.

Need Help? Let's chat.