cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card not supported

sophianeacsu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Sim Card. I currently use an iPhone 5s but am switching to a 6s, both of which phones are unlocked. The 6s was used with public mobile as well. But when I put my Sim Card into the 6s, it keeps saying it's not compatible which is strange since it was used on a public mobile network. The previous owner of the 6s had no problem switching their sim card and it was able to read immediately. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me? Is this a public mobile issue, because the message says it isn't a hardware issue with the phone. Please help me out I'm so frustrated. 😞 

14 REPLIES 14

Hello @happysgurl .

Before that did you write a message to the moderator here...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and explain what happened...perhaps they can help you...

happysgurl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes I forgot to mention I tried the steps above. I will try another SIM card and see how that goes, thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@happysgurl  did you try the suggestions provided in the previous post by @RobertQc ?

Can you give us the exact error message.  Have you changed plans recently?  Any chance you can try the SIM in another phone?  Any chance you could borrow another SIM and try it in the phone?

happysgurl

I have been trying to get my SIM card to work in an iPhone 7 for a couple of days now. I am always getting the Sim not supported message no matter what I do. I can get to the home screen when I take the SIM card out and when I go to info it says carrier is Public Mobile 35.0 but if I put the card back in it goes back to the started up screen and the sim not supported message comes back again... so frustrating.

@sophianeacsu

Try these tricks from imobie

"If your iPhone uses an older version of the operating system, there could be a compatibility issue which is causing your iPhone to show the SIM not supported error message. There is a quick fix for it that you can easily apply and get the issue resolved on your iPhone 7 or any other model that you have with an old version of iOS.Download and Install iOS Updates

Download and Install iOS Updates

On your iPhone model, open the Settings app and head to General followed by Software Update. There if an update is available for your device, it will show up along with the option to install it on your device. Tap on Download and Install and the update will be installed on your iPhone."

If that does not work try this.

Make an Emergency Call to Bypass the iPhone SIM Not Supported Issue
This may sound funny but it really works and has helped a number of iOS users activate their iPhones without using a SIM card. So basically what you need to do is place an emergency call and then press a button and it will do the job for you

Place An Emergency Call

Place An Emergency Call

While you are on the iPhone activation screen, press the Home button and choose Emergency Call from the menu that pops-up on your screen. Dial 911 or 112 and disconnect the call as soon as it is connected and press the Power button. Your iPhone will throw you on the main screen of your device and you have successfully bypassed the SIM card not supported issue on your device.

If that does not work try this

Activate Your iPhone and Bypass SIM Card Issue with iTunes
As long as you have the iTunes app installed on your computer, you can do a number of things on your iPhone. Even for the issues like activation, iTunes can help you sort them out as it’s got everything under its belt.

Set Up a New iPhone Using iTunes

Set Up a New iPhone Using iTunes

To bypass the SIM card not supported issue and activate your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer and launch the latest version of iTunes. Choose Set up as new iPhone in the app and it will activate your iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, or whatever model you have bypassing the SIM card not supported issue.

Conclusion

iPhone SIM not supported issue has prevented many users from gaining access to the features on their iPhones and the above guide tries to help you fix the issue on your device. Once fixed, your iPhone will recognize your SIM card and you will be able to use your iPhone as a regular phone.

sophianeacsu

Yes, that is the exact message that keeps popping up! I tried re-inserting but I still get the same message.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sophianeacsu wrote:

The phone is neither blacklisted or stolen, the previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple. The phone is unlocked and she was previously using Public Moblie as well but cancled her plan and switched to a different provider on a different phone. I have reset the phone back to factory mode and tried taking out/inserting my sim from my 5s multiple times but it keeps saying that the sim card is not supported.

Under the "sim card is not supported" does it say

"

The sim card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by yourcarrie. Please contact Apple for more information. "

?

sophianeacsu

The previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple so it is neither blacklisted or stolen. My sim card works fine in my 5s but once I insert into the 6s it says "sim card not supported", i've tried taking it out and re-inserting multiple times. The phone is also in good shape and has no damage. It's still functional when connected to wifi but it just won't accept my sim card. My spouse was also with public mobile but cancled her plan since she swithced phones and went with a different provider.

sophianeacsu

I have reset it to factory mode and the phone is unlocked, it isn't connected to any proivders. It says "no sim" in the top corner. 

sophianeacsu

The phone is neither blacklisted or stolen, the previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple. The phone is unlocked and she was previously using Public Moblie as well but cancled her plan and switched to a different provider on a different phone. I have reset the phone back to factory mode and tried taking out/inserting my sim from my 5s into the 6s multiple times but it keeps saying that the sim card is not supported.

lemew07

Hi, when you have your working PM sim card installed in your new Iphone what comes up on the home screen emerency call only or Public Mobile?

Psygineer

Check your IMEI number at site like https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ and see if your phone is reported stolen/lost. It's quite possible the person who sold it to you wasn't actually the true owner of the phone. Does your SIM still work fine in your 5s? If it does it leads me to believe that it is either locked to a network, blacklisted, or the 6s is damaged.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@sophianeacsuSince you just got the phone and you have no data on it, do a factory reset. This may clear up the issue if its actually unlocked.

When the phone first turns on does it have a Rogers or Bell, etc logo?

Dunkgirl

@sophianeacsu wrote:

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Sim Card. I currently use an iPhone 5s but am switching to a 6s, both of which phones are unlocked. The 6s was used with public mobile as well. But when I put my Sim Card into the 6s, it keeps saying it's not compatible which is strange since it was used on a public mobile network. The previous owner of the 6s had no problem switching their sim card and it was able to read immediately. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me? Is this a public mobile issue, because the message says it isn't a hardware issue with the phone. Please help me out I'm so frustrated. 😞 

Do you know the previous owner? Is it a friend or someone on kijiji? Did you actually see the previous owner use a public mobile sim card? Please give more details on how and where you purchased the phone. It is always possible for a 2nd hand phone to be reported as lost / stolen / locked right after you purchase it from a 3rd party / not official source.

I would try cleaning the sim card / re inserting a few times, and try to put the other public mobile sim in again. 

If your sim works in your other iphone 5 you know the sim and service is good. I know you say the 6S is unlocked, but thats what happens when the phone is locked.

Need Help? Let's chat.