cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card expiration time.

ApatheticFloW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had to purchase a new sim card because my new phone (Samsung A5) takes the nano chip and my old phone used the big original aim card. I wanna use my old sim in another phone, but idk if I'll be able to use it because I know they expire after a certain amount of time if they're not being used. How long is that, is it 3 months before you can no longer use/activate it. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ApatheticFloW 

You sound to be on the affluent side. $10 is expensive in comparison to the rest of the world. It's expensive to those on a tight budget. It's why there are frequent promos for a free SIM plus second term "free".

ApatheticFloW

@cavemantoronto 

Ya that seems to be the case. Good thing a new sim only costs $10, when I first purchased my sim card it cost $35.

Thx for all the feedback everyone.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

I had to purchase a new sim card because my new phone (Samsung A5) takes the nano chip and my old phone used the big original aim card. I wanna use my old sim in another phone, but idk if I'll be able to use it because I know they expire after a certain amount of time if they're not being used. How long is that, is it 3 months before you can no longer use/activate it. 

You can't reuse an old sim. When you change your account to use new sim, old sim is garbage.

ApatheticFloW

@Anonymous  That's a great idea I wish I would of thought of that before activating my new sim. That's brilliant !

$50 I just lost because I wasn't thinking straight. To much cannabis I guess.

@stonechucker BINGO You got it that's exactly what the case is. The old sim was purchased when all sim chips were that size.  That's why I ordered a new sim and when I received it I punched out the nano for use in my Samsung a5. All I had to do was enter the new sim card number here via my PM account and it worked right away.

So if I got it right my old sim card is no longer good, therefore I can't activate it or use it again. That sucks your think just because I purchase a new sim my old one should still work especially if I was to use it in another phone and pay for a plan. Don't get me wrong sim cards are cheap, but I figured since I already have the old one and it's only been about a month in a half it would still be good. Ok welmbthx for the help and feedback people I really appreciate it. 

Depending on the age of this person’s sim, it my not be a tri-punch card.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

As you can see in the picture, the Public Mobile sim card can be adjusted to fit all sizes. Simply put some slight pressure on the chip to pop it out of the surrounding plastic.

image.png

If you havent yet activated the new sim card you bought, you might be able to return it and keep using your old sim card instead.

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ApatheticFloW  Just to add to what @Anonymous said - If you do decide to create a second account, note that you cannot transfer a number from one PM account to another PM account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

Many of these SIM's are punch-out three sizes. Were you not able to punch out the smaller size from your original?

As soon as you change SIM in your account to the new one your old one will be history. No longer usable.

Edit: You could create a new account using the new SIM as an option and then do something else with the current account. And as a bonus, both get the $25 online referral.

Need Help? Let's chat.