cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Jacking it can Happen to anyone

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Here is an article where a West Vancouver Police officer was the victim of a SIM jacking scam.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/west-vancouver-police-officer-nearly-lost-thousands-in-sim-card-scam-1.4715934

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

7 REPLIES 7

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Scary stuff. 

@Wholecloud wrote:

One good thing about PM in this regard is that there is no retail stores or customer service number for the bad guys to approach and try to convince them to port the number or change sim card number. Everything needs to go through the moderator with account info verification. I recently also changed my account password to a more complicated one in hopes of minimizing the chances. Bravo to PM.

In the article says "he received a text message from his cellphone carrier last Tuesday, which said his phone number was in the process of being moved to another provider"

This means his number was ported out. Having seen this process to port my number INTO Public Mobile, I know all it takes is someone knowing your name, account #, ESN/IMEI, and PIN... they get all those (maybe less) and *poof* your number is theirs...

The self-serve portal makes it even easier, since no human at the requesting carrier is part of the process to recognize anything suspicious...

Wholecloud
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

One good thing about PM in this regard is that there is no retail stores or customer service number for the bad guys to approach and try to convince them to port the number or change sim card number. Everything needs to go through the moderator with account info verification. I recently also changed my account password to a more complicated one in hopes of minimizing the chances. Bravo to PM.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

I don't really understand SIM jacking. Is there any way to avoid it? Or at least, avoid people from getting access to apps, information or bank accounts and credit cards? 

Anyone have a link to an article about that?

Try not to make available, your phone number or account number for starters.

I don't really understand SIM jacking. Is there any way to avoid it? Or at least, avoid people from getting access to apps, information or bank accounts and credit cards? 

Anyone have a link to an article about that?

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Here is an article where a West Vancouver Police officer was the victim of a SIM jacking scam.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/west-vancouver-police-officer-nearly-lost-thousands-in-sim-card-scam-1.4715934

I get a kick out of these kinds of stories. Like he should know better. He's just like everybody else. All with the same blind spots and foibles as everybody else. Now...if we was actually in something like a cyber crime unit or something then he's just dumb that's all.

I agree for anybody all it takes is one second of not thinking clearly

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I get a kick out of these kinds of stories. Like he should know better. He's just like everybody else. All with the same blind spots and foibles as everybody else. Now...if we was actually in something like a cyber crime unit or something then he's just dumb that's all.

Need Help? Let's chat.