cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Signal strength.

Just a curiosity. I have a dual sim phone and have my Telus sim active for one last month as well as my Public Mobile sim installed. So I see 2 signal strength displays, one for each sim. Since PM is on the Telus network I would have expected the two to be the same. But that is not the case. Right at my house the signal strength is very weak but it seems to work without issues. So my Telus signal typically shows 1 or no bars. But my PM signal consistently shows 3 bars. Wondering why there would be such a difference or is the signal strength measurement just simply flaky and not accurate at all.

GR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Signal strength.

Could it be that your Telus  Sim is set to LTE and the public mobile Sim is set to 3g?   That would make a bit of sense 

Mayor / Maire

There was a thread about this a few months

ago. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Signal-strength/m-p/339404#M87077

Someone suggested to switch between LTE/WCDMA/GSM  and WCDMA/GSM.

That is the way they are set. Actually Telus is on autoselect but uses LTE and PM is set to 3G only. But the signal strength meters still showed the same while I had PM set to autoselect.

Do you have the same issue if you switch sim positions?

Do you have the same preferencs for both? ( as previously suggested)

GR

@Hchlebek on 3g most of the time you have a higher strength than on LTE 

My PM plan is 3G so I have set it to 3G only and it downloads faster that way. But what does signal strength have to do with what speed the phone is set to?? Isn't the actual strength measure independent of that. Note that it is my Telus signal that is showing no bars and it is the one that is on LTE.

GR

@Hchlebek  I'm sure someone will explain why!  I cant explain it In writing. 

Ok, you're right on. I understand now that LTE is a different signal and can have different strength?? I just set my Telus sim to 3G only resulting in identical 3 bars strength for each sim.

Mayor / Maire

@Hchlebek wrote:

That is the way they are set. Actually Telus is on autoselect but uses LTE and PM is set to 3G only. But the signal strength meters still showed the same while I had PM set to autoselect.

@Hchlebek  You should set you PM sim to auto as well. You don't gain anything by setting it at 3G because PM will use 3G regardless for calling so you gain nothing by doing that.