cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting my voicemail number

nancy12e
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to set up my phone so that when it notifies me of a new voicemail and I select the notification, it will dial voicemail so I can hear the message.

So far, the notification says voicemail number unknown. When I touch the notification, it takes me to voicemail settings, but when I try to put in the number, I get an error message that says "Failed to read data: Voicemail number change unsuccessful"

Anyone know how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

@nancy12e wrote:

I ended up contacting the moderator, and they had to activate my SIM card from their end. It's working now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions!

OK that makes sense now... On my own (android) phone, the voicemail number is set, but is greyed out and cannot be changed, implying it's a network set option - so getting the moderators to reset your account from their side makes sense if it re-provisions the voicemail number setting on the phone.

Good to know if someone else experiences the same issue in the future.

Cheers!

nancy12e

I ended up contacting the moderator, and they had to activate my SIM card from their end. It's working now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions!

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What is the make and model of your phone?

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@nancy12e, have you thought of making a voicemail as a contact on your phone? I have set that up and when I click on the call to my voicemail, I need to just push '1' to listen to new messages, and whatever the other numbers are for deleting, saving, forwarding, and so on! 

I looked on my phone contacts, and I have it set-up as (area code)-my phone number. But, that's on my phone number. 

Curious, if this is works for you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nancy12e wrote:

Thanks, I was able to set up my voicemail (I used the advice of calling the 580-4001 number). My issue is that I have to enter this number everytime to access my voicemail, and I can't seem to set it as my voicemail number in voicemail settings.

I tried restarting my phone, and I did try turning airplane mode on then off.

What make/model/submodel is the phone?

Edit: try even adding a + in front of the 1. Definitely not your own number.

Or try another area code in your province. Or if you're on Canada-wide (most likely) then simply put in +17785804001 .

nancy12e

I tried that, but it says "You need to add a number to access your voicemail", then takes me to the same voicemail settings screen, which again won't let me put in any number (I have tried 1, my area code followed by the 580-4001, and my own phone number)

@nancy12e what's the make and model of your phone? Try reporting your phone lost/ stolen in your self service account, wait 5 minutes, take it off and restart your phone. If this doesn't work contact a moderator and explain your situation.  Ask them to reset your SIM. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

@nancy12e wrote:

Thanks, I was able to set up my voicemail (I used the advice of calling the 580-4001 number). My issue is that I have to enter this number everytime to access my voicemail, and I can't seem to set it as my voicemail number in voicemail settings.

[Unusual solution to the issue highlighted ........... Luddite]

@nancy12e wrote:

My issue is that I have to enter this number everytime to access my voicemail, and I can't seem to set it as my voicemail number in voicemail settings.

As per the link @Dunkman  provided, you can simply hold down the "1" key, which will take you to your voicemail.

nancy12e

@nancy12e 

Here is the help article on setting up your voicemail.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-voicemail

Might want to try network reset.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off.

nancy12e

Thank you. I did try restarting my phone, but that didn't work.

@nancy12e 

If you are a new customer, have changed your phone number, or switched a different sim card, it can sometimes be as simple as restarting your phone. This sometimes causes the network to send this information to be automatically be written to your sim card.

Need Help? Let's chat.