cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service reliability issues in Windsor-Detroit near the river

Kikikanuck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone have any service reliability issues using Public Mobile in the Windsor-Detroit area hear the river?
Most carriers have issues and charge US roaming charges when actuallly still on the Canadian side, and phone calls won't go through. 

Since I have relocated to Windsor and live near the Detroit River Riverside area, I need to be able to have reliable service.

Cheers, Kiki

11 REPLIES 11

Kikikanuck

TMobile already confirmed that if I am out of the US for over 45 days my account will be disabled. So not an option and I need to find a Canuck carrier.

I will try Public Mobile and hope the roaming packages are effective & functional.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kikikanuck 

Who are you replying to?!

3 in a row with zero context.

It's helpful to either include the username or tag the username or quote the post you're replying to.

The first reply could be thought to be to the post above. But 2 more made it all out of context.

Kikikanuck

Ta for the option and yes I know how to switch off roaming on my mobile. 🙂

When I was on Tmobile in the US their technology would automatically detect if I needed to roam so only used it when needed.

Was hoping this option was available here in Canada with a Canuck carrier.

Kikikanuck

Yes that was my intention when I have nothing critical going on.

Also need to find out if I need to constantly purchase the add-on roaming package for 10 days as that will be annoying if I just need it when crossing daily, in pockets or staying longer than 10 days.

Kikikanuck

Ta.

Previously, in Windsor-Detroit it was a notorious issue on both sides of the border sometimes resulting in astronomical mobile charges that one needed to fight with carrier to get removed.

I was on Tmobile while living in the US so avoided all these issues normally with Verizon, Bell, etc. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Kikikanuck, I’ve travelled to Windsor and other Canadian border towns and have not had any issues while on Public Mobile.  My phone doesn’t even know the border is there.

Once, I crossed the border in Niagara Falls for less than a day, and the signal wasn’t lost from the Public Monile network until I was near the outlet stores.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kikikanuck 

Beside manually connecting to PM network suggested by @Anonymous  

You can also disable roaming on your phone.

@SomeFriend wrote:

If your having issues with roaming into American carriers, you could also consider subscribing to a US carrier that offers free Canadian roaming so you can use your phone on both sides of the border and not drop coverage.

It’s probably cheaper too to do so, considering the market here.

There are no roaming costs at Public Mobile. If your phone incidentally connects to a US cell tower, you would just have no service. Your calls wouldn't complete; thus no roaming costs. You''ll have to manually select a Cdn tower for service to continue, as suggested by @Anonymous previously.

The further away from the river you are, the less likely of this happening though.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your having issues with roaming into American carriers, you could also consider subscribing to a US carrier that offers free Canadian roaming so you can use your phone on both sides of the border and not drop coverage.

It’s probably cheaper too to do so, considering the market here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kikikanuck 

I would suggest making your network selection manually connected to here. That way if auto and it finds US towers it would try to connect to those towers.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Kikikanuck wrote:

Does anyone have any service reliability issues using Public Mobile in the Windsor-Detroit area hear the river?
Most carriers have issues and charge US roaming charges when actuallly still on the Canadian side, and phone calls won't go through. 

Since I have relocated to Windsor and live near the Detroit River Riverside area, I need to be able to have reliable service.

Cheers, Kiki

PM has no roaming charges. If you didn't pay for it...you don't have it. Others have said there's no problem in the Windsor area...but I'm sure someone else can confirm locally. Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.