cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service outages in Vancouver?

getbuff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My ability to connect to the network has been shaky at best since the beginning of January. Currently, I can't connect at all, despite toggling airplane mode and re-inserting my SIM. Is this a known issue? Account is in perfect standing, and some reddit users are encountering the same issue. 

11 REPLIES 11

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Trying it in a different phone would confirm if it's a phone issue.

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the sim card is not in proper contact with the sim tray. I had the same problem couple of days ago and the problem was similar as mentioned by OP. So please try to take the sim card off from your phone and reinsert it. Hope it will fix the problem. Thanks.

Rockdaddy22
Guys APN ONLY applies to data. It was just mentioned by an oracle above.

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Do you have a OnePlus 3 by any chance? Did you just update the phone to Nougat? If yes, try resetting your APN (you can find the correct APN for Public Mobile with a simple Google Search). Although an incorrrect APN should only affect your data, but just asking.

srlawren

@getbuff do you have access to another unlocked (or locked to Telus or Koodo is fine) phone that you could test your SIM card in?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@mclyintcm If it was an APN issue, only data would be affected, and it would not be intermittent.  I think more likely causes are SIM card not making full contact with the phone pins, SIM card defective, or some other phone-related issue.  (For example, an iPhone user recently had a similar issue and opened up his phone to find a loose antenna connection.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lampthis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm also in Vancouver. Haven't had any kind of network disruptions around the city.

Could maybe be a finicky sim card.

mclyintcm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have no issue with my service since sign up around black friday. 

I suspect something went wrong with your phone apn setting.

srlawren

@getbuff is this in multiple areas of Vancouver?  Since Jan 1st I've been in North and South Surrey, Yaletown, near the Burrard skytrain station, and all along the Expo KG/Waterfront line without any issues.  

What kind of phone are you using?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Could it be a phone issue?  Was there any major software updates that happened coincident with the service issues?  I can't imagine that Telus would allow a network problem to linger for extended periods of time.

imagesoft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in the Vancouver Cedar Cottage and I am able to receive and make calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.