cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam callers

DorothyElliott
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am getting calls every few minutes every day from someone speaking in Mandarin Chinese.  It is an automated call, and it takes quite a long time, and then leaves a long message in mandarin.  I am very frustrated by these frequent calls which I believe are scams.  And I have dozens of messages on my phone from these people.  When I try to block the caller, I find that every phonecall is from a different telephone number, so it's now impossible to block the calls.  I would like to know how to correct this problem, and how to get rid of these incessant intrusive callers.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak wrote:

Are you attached to your number? You can change number for free. No guarantees that the new one will not be receiving spam calls though.

@kselmak I would say there is a guarantee, but it's that you will still get spam calls.  Maybe not right away, but at some point.  These scammers use robodialers that just dial every number in a given exchange and then move on to the next exchange and so on.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bubbly100
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I get these calls all the time! Best not to answer them and block/report spam if that is an option on your phone and hopefully they will stop spamming you. Good luck! 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Are you attached to your number? You can change number for free. No guarantees that the new one will not be receiving spam calls though.

I get them couple of times a month and it's really annoying, I'd be really upset to have it daily

@srlawren wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@DorothyElliott  to add to what @srlawren had said I would also suggest "disabling" voice mail. "disabling" because Public Mobile doesn't offer that feature but there is a work around.

@DorothyElliott here's how:  Workaround for diabling Voicemail

@will13am wrote:

@DorothyElliott , consider using the Google dialer.  It handles spam calls in two ways, warning and auto blocking.  It works great for me.  Give it a try. 

+1 For Google Dialer. Smiley Happy

@srlawren wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@DorothyElliott  to add to what @srlawren had said I would also suggest "disabling" voice mail. "disabling" because Public Mobile doesn't offer that feature but there is a work around.

@will13am wrote:

@DorothyElliott , consider using the Google dialer.  It handles spam calls in two ways, warning and auto blocking.  It works great for me.  Give it a try. 

@will13am for most Android users, this isn't an option and we are stuck with our OEM's dialers.  Basically, for just about ayone that CAN use the Google Dialer, they are already using it (as it's the default on their Pixel, Nexus, or Essential phone)

EDIT: for example:

GoogleDialerIncompatible.png

Lol my bad, I thought the Google dialer can be used on every android device.  I do on all mine.  I guess I choose my phones wisely.  

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

yeah, it is annoying, just keep block those numbers, no other way. even you change your number, no one can grantee you will not receiving scan call. 

srlawren

@GinYVR wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am for most Android users, this isn't an option and we are stuck with our OEM's dialers.  Basically, for just about ayone that CAN use the Google Dialer, they are already using it (as it's the default on their Pixel, Nexus, or Essential phone)

EDIT: for example:

GoogleDialerIncompatible.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DorothyElliott There are two identified ones: one is Chinese Embassy and one is courier company. They are scam. I got a couple of times through my home phone and luckily not my cellular. I normally block them. However, they will use different numbers to call again. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

srlawren

@DorothyElliott wrote:

I would like to know how to correct this problem, and how to get rid of these incessant intrusive callers.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

@DorothyElliott you could look at some 3rd party apps that can help.  Here's a good roundup:  https://www.lifewire.com/top-call-blocking-app-for-smartphones-4050085

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@DorothyElliott wrote:

I am getting calls every few minutes every day from someone speaking in Mandarin Chinese.  It is an automated call, and it takes quite a long time, and then leaves a long message in mandarin.  I am very frustrated by these frequent calls which I believe are scams.  And I have dozens of messages on my phone from these people.  When I try to block the caller, I find that every phonecall is from a different telephone number, so it's now impossible to block the calls.  I would like to know how to correct this problem, and how to get rid of these incessant intrusive callers.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

The best course of action is if you do not know the number, do not answer. Answering may alert the scammers that line is active and will continue calling with different numbers. At this point, just keep blocking the numbers and hope they stop calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.