cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card All of a Sudden says Unregistered

Aljanes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. My SIM card all of a sudden says unregistered when it was working perfectly seconds before. I've been with PM for about 2 years without any issues. My phone is fairly new (it's an S9) and I can't understand how it would be an issue with my phone. I have tried reseating the SIM card multiple times and also turniing it off and on again. I have done the reporting it stolen trick to re-register but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? I do not have a phone that I can try the card in, I will have to wait to borrow someones. Thanks for any help.

28 REPLIES 28

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Aljanes wrote:

I don't think thats possible as it came directly from Bell as a phone return and that's where I got it. 

Since your phone is from Bell.

Dig out your purchase receipt and go back to the Bell Store.

They can test one of their instore SIMs to see if the phone is work or not.

Phone returns usually have a full manufacturers warranty behind it (12 months for a S9).

If the Bell Store is not helpful; call Samsung directly, as I've found their customer support 1800-SAMSUNG (24/7) to be excellent (be prepared to provide proof of purchase).

Good Luck!

@Aljanes wrote:

Hi. My SIM card all of a sudden says unregistered when it was working perfectly seconds before. I've been with PM for about 2 years without any issues. My phone is fairly new (it's an S9) and I can't understand how it would be an issue with my phone. I have tried reseating the SIM card multiple times and also turniing it off and on again. I have done the reporting it stolen trick to re-register but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? I do not have a phone that I can try the card in, I will have to wait to borrow someones. Thanks for any help.

On some phones, unregistered sim card means that the sim card isn't active, either by it never being activated, account expiration, or the number being porting out and account closed.  Older Blackberrry devices use to use that message.  On some Android phones, "SIM card not supported" - Samsung specifically means an inactive sim card (although on Apple devices, this means a carrier locked device).

On some other phones, a message saying something about being unable to register to network might be displayed if attempting to perform an manual network selection. Once agian, this could mean an inactive sim card, but it could also mean that the network is refusing the connection (no roaming agreement/connections no allowed to that network, network issue, or blacklisted device)

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I am almost certain your Device was put on the Canadian Blacklist. That is the message you get when the device is blacklisted. If it is Blacklisted there is absolutely nothing Public Mobile could do for you. Go to devicecheck.ca and input the first 15 numbers of your imei. This will tell you if it's blacklisted or not

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aljanes wrote:

So when I put in the number it says "Your phone should work on our network." 

Did you put in the IMEI on the second part?

Did you use it on devicecheck.ca as well?

Aljanes

So when I put in the number it says "Your phone should work on our network." 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aljanes 

You can check the phone under the Get Started link on the top of this page. Or devicecheck.ca.

You'll need that IMEI.

Aljanes

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll know more tomorrow when I can try my SIM in another phone. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

@AljanesFrom what I understand phone returns basically is like store returns but they just resell it with minimal inspection at the store (vs a full refurbishment process). There is a chance that the paperwork got misfiled. It happens. Test your SIM in another phone to verify.. or find another SIM to put into your phone.. either way you will find out.

Oh if you did find out that the phone has been blacklisted, don't get them to unlist it.. insist on another one with a clear IMEI number. Especially since databases don't always sync up you don't want to have nasty surprises in the future.

Aljanes

Honestly I cant remember ever setting up my own voicemail. 

@Aljanes wrote:

An automated female voice saying to leave a message.

@Aljanes Is that your voicemail?

Aljanes

An automated female voice saying to leave a message.

@Aljanes wrote:

I don't think thats possible as it came directly from Bell as a phone return and that's where I got it. 

@Aljanes What happens when you call you number from another phone?

Aljanes

Ok. Thank you!

@Aljanes As I have alluded earlier in the thread the sure fire way is to swap the SIM card with another phone. If the SIM card works (from what you described, it sounds like all the account settings are correct).. then it is the phone's problem. You will need to contact Bell to figure it out.

Aljanes

@geopublicSince @Aljanes SIM card matches what's on her file and her password and account is active, I am not sure why you want her to contact the moderators.

It is more likely that her phone has been black listed which is out of Public Mobile's help anyways.

@geopublic wrote:

@Aljanes wrote:

@Aljanes The first thing to do is to change the password of your selfserve account. Then notify PM to check your account asap.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Aljanes

Thank you. Just sent them a private message will change my password now.

@AljanesI am sorry to inform you but I think the previous owner has probably lapsed on his/her payment and your phone is being blacklisted in North America. It is generally a bad idea to buy a second hand phone privately because a lot of people take those phone as lease and lapse on payment after getting the cash from the buyer.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Aljanes wrote:

@Aljanes The first thing to do is to change the password of your selfserve account. Then notify PM to check your account asap.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Aljanes

Yes but I've been using it on this network for about 7 months with no issues.

@AljanesDid you purchase your phone second hand?

Aljanes

It matches and my account says "Active". I just got "Selected Network (Public Mobile) not available" on my phone.

@AljanesTo elaborate to what @Dunkman had said, the last 4 digit of your SIM card should match what's in selfserve (see below)

Also does the Plan on the front page of your seflserve profile say you are Active?

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR SIM CARD #HOW TO CHANGE YOUR SIM CARD #

@Aljanes 

Maybe check your SIM card number (the last 4 digits anyways) in your self service account.  Make sure that it partially matches your SIM card.  

Another trick is to manually load $1 into your account.  That also seems to reset your plan sometimes.  

Aljanes

Selfserve account works but when I try 611 is says "unregistered on network".

Aljanes

I can login to my account and it says everything is fine and my account is active.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@AljanesCan you log into your selfserve account or 611 and access your voicemail etc while you are down?

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just wait awhile and try rebooting the phone a liffle later.  System may reset itself after awhile.

Need Help? Let's chat.