cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robelus price war

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks to FM Cat Indifferent

Now ROBELUS response to FM offer and FM strike back again,folks only until December 19th , Heart the price war Cat Indifferent

46 REPLIES 46

Picasso1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Garry wrote:

@Picasso1

You're already 10x better off without Bell.......

Well I had Bell for over 10 yrs, and never really had any issues with them, As I ws on a sweet corporate plan,  even the Bell employees werent getting the plan it was n old but grandfathered in plan I had from my employer, but the company changed and wasnt using as much services from Bell it had in previous years. anyhow when my contract expired, I was told by Bell the only way I could upgrade my phone and keep same plan was to buy one for full price from them, as I was now classified as being on a bring your own device plan. So on black Friday I got a deal on a new unlocked phone, went to activate it with Bell to keep same plan and they refused to activate phone on my current plan instead they wanted me to switch to a regular plan, paying over $110 per month for similar service when I was paying less than half of that. So I looked at PM plans after seeing their ads and came to conclusion if I paid $10. per month more and sacrificed Canada/USA free calling to just BC calling I can get my new phone working, so I said goodbye Bell, it's been a slice! Hello Public Mobile. then the Robelus Price war happens 2 weeks later. Go figure! If It continues I'll switch to Telus, unless the have Public Mobile join the party.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No dissapointment at all I would rather you stayed.  🙂 amased at the lignup for the offers. 🙂

It is good to see that the 40$/4gb plan is still popular. (hint hint PM, yeah i know deaf ears).  

hoping to hear from shazia or mary about the viability of 3 account switch in the other thread else it woud not matter anyway. 🙂

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren  if you do decide to leave I would hate for your plan/ rewards be lost... I would be willing to take it over  and continue your legasy, if you decide  to leave the family.  🙂

@mimmo sorry to disappoint, but at this point I'm leaning toward staying with my current plan at PM after all😞  If I change my mind and the few people ahead of you in line turn it down, you'll be hearing form me over private message.  Sorry!

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Picasso1

You're already 10x better off without Bell.......

Picasso1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well I just came over from Bell just over 2 weeks ago, and ported my number over, I prepaid for 90 days, so I guess I will wait to see what happens after that, but I don't think this will be the last of the Robelus price war, 

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren  if you do decide to leave I would hate for your plan/ rewards be lost... I would be willing to take it over  and continue your legasy, if you decide  to leave the family.  🙂

@mimmo sorry to disappoint, but at this point I'm leaning toward staying with my current plan at PM after all😞  If I change my mind and the few people ahead of you in line turn it down, you'll be hearing form me over private message.  Sorry!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@shawnie_boy Chatr had cheaper promo

mimmo

shawnie_boy

doesn't seem like anyone is willing to offer anything lower than the $60 10gb option. I am staying with Public Mobile. 

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not hard to understand at all.

Koodo (Telus): large and reliable network

Freedom: smallest and least reliable network

@KMG meh Freedom had the Big Gig promo plans in ON and noone blinked (most like myself thought they were laughably overpriced)

It's funny how Koodo offering similar plan generates this much heat

Michael77

@KMG,

Koodo definitely had the advantage. 

KMG

I would assume that is because Koodo was the first to offer it in Ontario.  They had the advantage of time.

@srlawren general consensus seems to be Koodo is the way to go Cat Wink

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-fido-telus-koodo-bell-virgin-60-10gb/

Rogers 16.44% (672 votes)
Fido 18.59% (760 votes)
Telus 13.97% (571 votes)
Koodo Mobile 21.7% (887 votes)
Bell 11.82% (483 votes)
Virgin Mobile 5.43% (222 votes)
Freedom Mobile 6.48% (265 votes)
None--I live outside Alberta, BC or Ontario 5.57% (228 votes)

@srlawren despite my recent woes, I still stand by Telus and it's sub brands

Bell is just plain evil, and Rogers is an inferior network

Freedom is really Wind in disguise, they just changed thier name since everyone hates them (lol)

Michael77

@srlawren,

Please keep us posted on the network. 🙂

srlawren

I can confirm that the data is permanent with Fido too.  I can confirm that because I just signed up to try it out.  I still have my PM service, I'll run both in parallel for a few days to see how much I want to keep Fido.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Michael77 wrote:

@srlawren,

I just read that Rogers is no longer ending the data after 24 months. In other words, you keep the data for as long as you have the plan.

There are some great opportunities for the data hungry users out there for sure.  For the PM customer the BYOD isn't a big deal and with unlocked phones it could have many people switching providers as it is for new customers only.  The thing that will get people in the end is when those used to getting a new phone all time through their provider will get a message in a year or so saying they can upgrade their phone with no penalty.  People will go in and choose the latest and greatest hardware of their choice and now this current plan won't be available for that anymore and they will end up paying more for a plan with less data.  As well I wonder how long these prices will stay as they are before they get raised.

The 4GB is more then I need here and with all my rewards compared to what is being offered out there I can put $37 a month aside for a new phone this year( if that is what I want to do) and $38 a month the following year.  So that is $900 in the two years. 

Sure it has been posted that people are future proofing their data requirements on a good deal but I can't justify $900 over two years for something that I might need.

My big statement to any considering it, if you need the data and will use it then it is a great deal.  If you are needing a little more data check out what PM offers as it may still be cheaper then other promos.  Buying something because it is on sale even if you don't need it isn't saving you money, it is spending money that you didn't need to spend.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

bilal684

@srlawren wrote:

On a realted note.....

Since this is being offered by basically all the 1st and 2nd tier providers, how do you choose?  I haven't used Rogers since 2003 when I moved from their TDMA service to Telus CDMA, lol.  My mom is on Fido, has been for several years, and it seems to work great, and of course same network as Rogers.  Telus I was on from 03 - 2015 when I moved to PM, still really with Telus.  So Telus or Koodo could work due to the familiarity but which one do you choose there?  I'm not really interested in Bell, Virgin, or FM, so I think I'd rule those out.  But which network do you pick, Rogers or Telus?  And once you pick that, do you go teir 1 or tier 2?  Confusing!

If you're hesitating between Rogers or Telus, go with Telus. They have better coverage and a more stable network. This is coming from a guy that was with chatr and had no coverage inside a university class when people that were with PM / Virgin / Bell / Telus / Koodo had full coverage...

Is it a price war when they all have the same offer? 👺

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Michael77

@srlawren,

I just read that Rogers is no longer ending the data after 24 months. In other words, you keep the data for as long as you have the plan.

Michael77

@srlawren,

Don't take too long to decide. These promotions could end at any time. Although it says it ends I think Dec. 18 or 19.

Michael77

@srlawren,

Nope. I know Koodo in Ontario, the 10 gigs stay with you for as long as you keep the plan. I am pretty sure the Tier 1 plans are the same. I am not sure about Fido or Virgin?

srlawren

@Michael77 I didn't realize that about the texting.  I don't often text to numbers outside of Canada but might from time to time.  Hmm.

The other thing is the "roam like home" style roaming plans I think are still $6/day at Fido and maybe Rogers, while Telus and Koodo charge $7/day.  I would use that at least 4-5 times a year so that's something to consider too. 

I don't know that any network would support my OnePlus 5T for VoLTE or Wifi calling (even though it's capable of both to the best of my knowledge).  Does anyone know?  I think they just support it on certain devices which they have sold, right?

srlawren

@Michael77 oh it's not limited to 2years like it is with Fido and Rogers?  Interesting.  

Michael77

@srlawren wrote:

On a realted note.....

Since this is being offered by basically all the 1st and 2nd tier providers, how do you choose?  I haven't used Rogers since 2003 when I moved from their TDMA service to Telus CDMA, lol.  My mom is on Fido, has been for several years, and it seems to work great, and of course same network as Rogers.  Telus I was on from 03 - 2015 when I moved to PM, still really with Telus.  So Telus or Koodo could work due to the familiarity but which one do you choose there?  I'm not really interested in Bell, Virgin, or FM, so I think I'd rule those out.  But which network do you pick, Rogers or Telus?  And once you pick that, do you go teir 1 or tier 2?  Confusing!

Yes, confusing for you. If you go with Tier 1 you get better customer service but the text messages are only nationwide. With the tier 2 companies you get international text. I am sure there are many more comparisons that I can make. Hey, just toss a coin!!! 🙂

srlawren

On a realted note.....

Michael77

@srlawren,

In Ontario the 10 gigs are permanent. It definitely is with Koodo.

We may leave at the same time. The unfortunate thing for me is that I will be leaving the family. 

srlawren

@Michael77 funny, i have the same renewal date.  🙂  I'm thinking I might just pick up a SIM from Koodo or Fido today or tomorrow and activate it and try it out for a few days in my second sim slot, and then try to decide before the 31st which I want to keep going forward.  I could port out on the 30th or something I suppose, if I decide to keep the more expensiver plan 🙂  It really is a great deal, I probably should jump on it.  I know the bonus 5GB is only for 2 years, but chances are, especially since it's a month to month plan, I'll have moved on to something else in that timespan anyway.

Michael77

@srlawren wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

Its not about how much data you use NOW...its about future proofing yourself and locking in the 10Gb plan...

With the quality of pictures literally going up every 6 months, and the quality and quantity of videos being shared on social media, all your app/website data usage will continue to increase. Just one year ago I could get away with 3GB of data, today (and my habits have not changed much), today I can barely get away with 6GB (I average 5.5gb over the last 4 months).

With youtube moving to 4k, netflix4k, and even 8k on the horizon, data usage will increase SIGNIFICANTLY in the next year and beyond.

This is a great opportunity to pay the extra few bucks a month and lock in the 10GB.

@Wonder_why excellent thought process.  I'm still debating about jumping on board this pretty amazing deal too.  If it weren't for the rewards programs here, it would be pretty easy to justify jumping form $40/month (I'm on the 2016 Fall Promo plan) to $60.  But as it stands with rewards, the jump is a lot bigger than $20 a month.  I moved to PM a couple of years ago to reduce my monthly spend, which at the time was $65 at Telus.  I don't know, I'm still really tempted though!  The question is, do I go to Koodo to keep it in the family, or try out Fido for something different.  Either would give me the 10 gigs, upgrade to Canada-wide calling (a bit meh but handy), access to retail and phone support (again, not a huge issue for me).  Fido would also give me coverage in the underground parts of the SkyTrain (Vancouver-area train system) that I do frequent a few times a week at least.  Hmmmmmmm.

@srlawren,

Well........ I already have a great offer from Rogers (around the same price I pay now and better features). However, I am still hoping by miracle Koodo offers us similar plans that Rogers is offering their prepaid Chatr/Fido customers. I have until the end of the month but I won't wait that long. Good thing that my PM plan ends Dec. 31 so I won't lose much prepaid money. 🙂

@srlawren, if I were you and you need more data then the $60 plan is very good. 

srlawren

@Wonder_why wrote:

Its not about how much data you use NOW...its about future proofing yourself and locking in the 10Gb plan...

With the quality of pictures literally going up every 6 months, and the quality and quantity of videos being shared on social media, all your app/website data usage will continue to increase. Just one year ago I could get away with 3GB of data, today (and my habits have not changed much), today I can barely get away with 6GB (I average 5.5gb over the last 4 months).

With youtube moving to 4k, netflix4k, and even 8k on the horizon, data usage will increase SIGNIFICANTLY in the next year and beyond.

This is a great opportunity to pay the extra few bucks a month and lock in the 10GB.

@Wonder_why excellent thought process.  I'm still debating about jumping on board this pretty amazing deal too.  If it weren't for the rewards programs here, it would be pretty easy to justify jumping form $40/month (I'm on the 2016 Fall Promo plan) to $60.  But as it stands with rewards, the jump is a lot bigger than $20 a month.  I moved to PM a couple of years ago to reduce my monthly spend, which at the time was $65 at Telus.  I don't know, I'm still really tempted though!  The question is, do I go to Koodo to keep it in the family, or try out Fido for something different.  Either would give me the 10 gigs, upgrade to Canada-wide calling (a bit meh but handy), access to retail and phone support (again, not a huge issue for me).  Fido would also give me coverage in the underground parts of the SkyTrain (Vancouver-area train system) that I do frequent a few times a week at least.  Hmmmmmmm.

Need Help? Let's chat.