cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Retaining your cell #

@Dankaroo wrote:

Also it looks like if you go the new number route you can pick a number, I wonder what would happen if you picked your old number after it is no longer being reserved by your old provider.

Blocks and sets of numbers generally belong to each provider. Porting a number over lets you keep it. Not porting over abandons it. After porting and deactivation of destination, the number goes back into the pool of the originating provider. The destination provider would no longer be able to access it.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@z10user4

So trying to choose a block unavailable to PM generates an error message?

I wonder if they in anyway indicate what blocks are available I cannot imagine a new user having to enter in number combinations several times just because of unavailable blocks.

Mayor / Maire

@Dankaroo wrote:

@z10user4

So trying to choose a block unavailable to PM generates an error message?

I wonder if they in anyway indicate what blocks are available I cannot imagine a new user having to enter in number combinations several times just because of unavailable blocks.

No error message...just not there. A new user can choose a number that the provider has from what is available with that provider. It's a substantial list when new (and possibly even looking for preferred last 4 digit under an area code...but I'm not sure of that). It's limited for changing a number afterwards.

A new sign-up has the ability to select the Calling Centre (or whatever it's called) and try to type in a desired 'last 4 digits'.  If it's available, it's theirs.  

A current (ie already activated) account is only provided the option to search for an available number from the calling centre that is selected.  The list can be refreshed to get more suggestions.

Highlighted
Oracle

@z10user4 wrote:

No error message...just not there. A new user can choose a number that the provider has from what is available with that provider. It's a substantial list when new (and possibly even looking for preferred last 4 digit under an area code...but I'm not sure of that). It's limited for changing a number afterwards.

@z10user4on new activations yes  it lets you enter the last 4 digits to see if that specific combination is available.