cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Unsolicited Referral Request

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It seems like someone is sending unsolicited referral codes via Private message to all new comers that post here or not. List of newcomers is visible on the community home page. This is no different than spamming the community with posts. Difference is no one knows unless they post here asking about how to use it or to report them. Time to time users posts here, but it does not go any further. This is definitely against the community rules so i feel something must be done about it. 

I am creating this thread so you can redirect users to or report those that send unsolicited referral codes via private message. Please include the following information when reporting: 

- Date you received the PM

- Username of sender

- Referral code

I will get in touch the PM team to let them know of this thread and have it pinned until they figure out a way to completely stop this. I am expecting PM to use the reported info in this thread to either warn or ban those users. There is a possibility that users might make a smart move and use a different account just for this. In this case, the unique referral code can be used to may be disable that forever or they might take this very seriously and remove all referrals received prior to spamming. It would be up to them and they have every right to do whatever to stop this. 

I am tagging regulars just so they are aware of this thread. My apology if i forgot you as without the LB list it is hard to remembers names. Subscribe or bookmark this thread for easy access.

@Luddite @ShawnC13 @will13am @mimmo @computergeek541 @srlawren @SD08  @geopublic @gblackma @Jb456 @popping @Anonymous @mpcdesign @Dunkman @darlicious 

Together let's make the community a better place. 

21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't like it that my online status is off but when I log in, I show up in that list.

@Anonymous 

When you have your online status hidden, your name will show up in the "Users Online" list, but only you will see your name in that list. Try it with another community account or simply open that page with another browser where you're not signed in, and you'll see that your account with the hidden online status is still invisible.

Thanks @SD08 . You're right. I had thought I had seen my name in the "recent signins" line and thought hey. Never dawned on me to check it from another browser. Duh. Wasn't THAT important enough to investigate. But indeed it's not there.

@computergeek541  @ShawnC13 

Well from our posts in the last few minutes. We have at least been able to "somewhat" think of ideas (maybe far fetched) to alleviate the situation. 

Definitely would likely require some work and assistance with Khoros tech team but surely possible. 

Would depend on PM analyzing cost worth reward. 

Not sure of there system setup. Maybe they could run SQL searches to see what usernames come up with the highest amount of one time private messages to brand new signups. Maybe they can find the culprits that way.

I'm sorry if our convo is going "off topic" in a sense. Please dont send it to the lounge 🤣🤣 (Sorry I had to say it 🤭). 

Overall I really enjoyed this conversation. To be able to go back and forth talking about ideas / thoughts without having the pressure that usually happens on here when threads go a bit off. 

I thank you both for this👍

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

My turn with the dreaded - wts.

What Daps said.

But add for that whole section. I don't like it that my online status is off but when I log in, I show up in that list.

So to thwart those that are scanning for new folks to send unsolicited pm's...remove those lists.

@Anonymous 

When you have your online status hidden, your name will show up in the "Users Online" list, but only you will see your name in that list. Try it with another community account or simply open that page with another browser where you're not signed in, and you'll see that your account with the hidden online status is still invisible.

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541  so if that is an option and then made the option available to Oracle's as well then my thoughts might be feasible?

I can't see it hapenning as the ability to disable private messaging is a user selectable option. Even if Public Mobile changed the default setting for this option, You can't have Oracles (who are not employed by Public Mobile) changing a customer's account settings. Also, when a the override is employed by the moderator, it actually allows incoming private messages to come through from anyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My turn with the dreaded - wts.

What Daps said.

But add for that whole section. I don't like it that my online status is off but when I log in, I show up in that list.

So to thwart those that are scanning for new folks to send unsolicited pm's...remove those lists.

Edit: corrected by SDO8 below

Many  forums I have been on have had it set so new members couldn't private message anyone except the forum moderators until they had a set number of posts.  I think something like that would work here as well

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@computergeek541  so if that is an option and then made the option available to Oracle's as well then my thoughts might be feasible?

@Jb456 wrote:

Am I missing something @computergeek541 ? mods/Oracle's can PM them freely from the start. Everyone else are blocked until conditions are met.

Memebers can actually disable all private messaging. I've actually been told that if a member does that, a moderator can't override that to send that person a message. I actually happen to know that isn't a true. Public Mobile staff can actually re-enable the option in the member's Community settings.  Oracles do not have that have that ability to override a member's account settings.

@computergeek541  yes understand that however their account is free to receive private messages from Moderators (that is 💯 needed yes)

Maybe Oracle's to??

For regular folks like us. We have no reason to send a brand new person a private message at least until they ask some type of question on the forums.

So us regular folks would have to reply back on the thread says something like "As a new member your account is unable to receive private messages until you make first contact. Please click this link to private message me first so we can continue to discuss your issue via PM". 

Once that newbie does send the first message that the system removes the block and everyone is free to PM them.

So a newbie posts asking for a referral code. We post our PM link (like we give moderator link) they click it message us. We send code.

Am I missing something @computergeek541 ? mods/Oracle's can PM them freely from the start. Everyone else are blocked until conditions are met.

@Jb456 wrote:

Maybe something like new accounts are blocked from receiving PMs for a certain time frame. 7 days as an example. Blocked for regular folks not moderators. 

New account can PM someone first then the 7 day block is removed.

I don't know 🤔

I know that your'e just floating ideas, but that wouldn't work. A new Community account is likely to belong to a brand new customer.  Being able to receive private messages at that time is more likely to be necessary.

Maybe something like new accounts are blocked from receiving PMs for a certain time frame. 7 days as an example. Blocked for regular folks not moderators. 

New account can PM someone first then the 7 day block is removed.

I don't know 🤔

@NDesai wrote:

In this case, the unique referral code can be used to may be disable that forever or they might take this very seriously and remove all referrals received prior to spamming.  

I agree with what you're saying about usolicited requests going out.  Unfortunately, I don't see the disabling of a referral code to be an option. You'd have to prove that the person who owns that account is sending that code out. Otherwise, you can potentially have people being punished for something that someone else is doing with that code.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Don't we have the 'report' button in the message?

It will report everything the content (containg the code) time and person who sent it

I know for a fact that it works as we got spammed by explicit advertisements not so long ago (if I'm not mistaken around holidays) and I had to report few messages. 

Moderators response was pretty swift.

If you don't think it's appropriate if you believe it's spam, just hit it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Melinda_H 

We should have a community forum rules on spamming private message.

What is allowed and not allowed.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai wrote:
@Daps wrote:

Would removing this list from the forum/main page provide a solution?

"Please welcome our newest community members:..."

Yes, but there are other ways to find out who just joined. 

There are ? The only ways i am aware of is the section on the homepage and the "New in Town" Status but you only see that when the person posts. 

@iliketotalk wrote:

@NDesai hello here is the answer I received from Public moderators when I complained so good luck  Hi iliketotalk!   This can be a very welcomed initiative for a new use who can save.   If you already got referred no need to worry, you can tell this user to stop sending any promo.   Dany, PM Mod

Well, we will have to explain it is the same thing as spamming the community. Making profit out of spam with minimal effort should not be okay. 

@Daps wrote:

Yes, but there are other ways to find out who just joined. 

@Jb456 wrote:

I just posted the below is this thread. Click here 

That would be okay as user is reaching out to you asking for it. I've edited your post and left the link to the original post. 

Wewewoe45
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Daps wrote:

I think that is what should be done to prevent this.

Pretty soon there wont be anything left of the community web-page. Bravos leaderboard gone, Macros gone, That whole section gone. lol.

I have created a couple of Community accounts just for fun to see if i would get anything. Nope. They must've stopped sending their referral code.

EDIT: I forgot to switch accounts. lol. Its @BearFBI BTW.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@NDesai hello here is the answer I received from Public moderators when I complained so good luck  Hi iliketotalk!   This can be a very welcomed initiative for a new use who can save.   If you already got referred no need to worry, you can tell this user to stop sending any promo.   Dany, PM Mod

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

I just posted the below is this thread. Click here 

Need Help? Let's chat.